Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-14-2018, 11:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Also, does anyone ever see any infill station opportunities on the phase one line? I thought that depending how that new conference centre (Open Sky?) on Ardelt does and what else goes up in the industrial area (maybe a hotel on Overland?) that a stop could be inserted immediately south of the expressway at Ardelt/Overland. It would be fairly close to the existing Mill station, but no closer than stop distances in downtown/uptown areas.

As an interim measure, they could re-open the railway crossing just south of the expressway that has been closed (why? and side note: is crossing there now dangerous because it has been closed, when it was safe enough before?), and install a pedestrian route under the expressway and up to Mill Station. This would provide walking access from the LRT. I’m not sure if there is space in the LRT tunnel however for a pedestrian route. If not then I consider it a blunder: the additional cost of building the tunnel 4m wider would have been a triviality in the context of the overall project.

I was sad to see that I missed the ION in DT Kitchener yesterday, hopefully it makes another pass today.
Thanks to Canard for pointing out on Twitter that there is already a #wrlrt hashtag for ION-related stuff. What’s this #myionthetrain? Awkward, and totally redundant. It kind of undoes an organization’s social media strategy to show themselves to be so unaware of what is already happening. It’s hard to be cool when you don’t know where the cool kids are!
A train is currently downtown, on Charles headed south past Gaukel.
COOOL!!!!!
[Image: AzhsO69.jpg]
Queen St station!

Yes, I'm shooting from the back, but it was a better (and safer) shot than the front ...
Awesome to see, everyone!

I was standing next to it while it was moving (on the sidewalk, safely, and legally), and it was impressive how smooth and incredibly quiet it is!! not a single squeak! such a cool system Smile
My goodness, I was less than a block away! Ugh, I will see it one day!

Ironically, I walked past the terminal shortly after it went past, and there was a delivery vehicle parked off the tracks for a change. I've seen one on the tracks a number of times, this is the first time it wasn't.
(02-15-2018, 01:34 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thanks to Canard for pointing out on Twitter that there is already a #wrlrt hashtag for ION-related stuff. What’s this #myionthetrain? Awkward, and totally redundant. It kind of undoes an organization’s social media strategy to show themselves to be so unaware of what is already happening. It’s hard to be cool when you don’t know where the cool kids are!

OK, I partially retract my assessment of #myionthetrain. I didn’t notice the pun before. I have to admit that’s fairly clever. But #wrlrt is still well-established and I think the better choice.
Aaah, I hadn't realized it would be returning on the northbound track! I'd have followed it for longer in that case...

Well, tomorrow is another day.

(02-15-2018, 04:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: OK, I partially retract my assessment of #myionthetrain. I didn’t notice the pun before. I have to admit that’s fairly clever. But #wrlrt is still well-established and I think the better choice.

Nothing wrong with using both!

Sorry for cutting through your shot, bgb_ca! I did ring my bell though (unlike mr. neon flash zippy mczippypants behind me Tongue )
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »