Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-29-2018, 12:23 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 10:38 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Excessive and visually disruptive paint was one of the (successful?) arguments used against adding bike lanes to Union St by the local residents there, so...

I keep thinking I’ve heard the stupidest thing ever, and I keep being proven wrong. Wow! That’s just shockingly stupid.

The city should have removed all markings from the road, including the yellow line down the middle.

AFAIK Union had no painted lines up until the bike lanes were painted.

Many residential streets don't and it seems opinions are divided on whether lines are safer or no lines are safer.  Chances are good, it's a context dependent thing.

One thing is clear though, when it came to union street (and Westheights, and Jubilee, and a dozen other examples no doubt) it is nothing more than an obstructionist excuse.

If you consider the paint job after the Westheights bike lanes were installed, especially at both ends with Highland, you can start to see their point.
(01-29-2018, 12:55 PM)timio Wrote: If you consider the paint job after the Westheights bike lanes were installed, especially at both ends with Highland, you can start to see their point.

Yes, the city crews were a bit sloppy in their work...it was quite rushed IIRC.

But people complained about the lines before it was installed.
(01-29-2018, 12:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 12:23 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I keep thinking I’ve heard the stupidest thing ever, and I keep being proven wrong. Wow! That’s just shockingly stupid.

The city should have removed all markings from the road, including the yellow line down the middle.

AFAIK Union had no painted lines up until the bike lanes were painted.

Many residential streets don't and it seems opinions are divided on whether lines are safer or no lines are safer.  Chances are good, it's a context dependent thing.

One thing is clear though, when it came to union street (and Westheights, and Jubilee, and a dozen other examples no doubt) it is nothing more than an obstructionist excuse.

Wait, are we talking about west of about Park, in the section with the median? In that case it’s still a stupid objection but my comment is inapplicable. I was thinking of the four-lane (why?) section east of the tracks.
I think we're talking about the part east of Breithaupt Park.
So nothing has happened this week at all? uh Sad
One of the LRV’s is (was) in the yard this morning - Kevin will likely update soon!

aaaaaaand... nothing! I saw his post on the fb group, but I guess not much happened unfortunately.
(02-01-2018, 03:38 PM)urbd Wrote: aaaaaaand... nothing! I saw his post on the fb group, but I guess not much happened unfortunately.

There's a video of the LRV crossing under its own power at Columbia (I think) up there now.
(02-01-2018, 03:54 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 03:38 PM)urbd Wrote: aaaaaaand... nothing! I saw his post on the fb group, but I guess not much happened unfortunately.

There's a video of the LRV crossing under its own power at Columbia (I think) up there now.

Yeah I just saw! that's great... I wonder when will they start using more of the track, it went past columbia towards UW correct?
(02-01-2018, 04:06 PM)urbd Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 03:54 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: There's a video of the LRV crossing under its own power at Columbia (I think) up there now.

Yeah I just saw! that's great... I wonder when will they start using more of the track, it went past columbia towards UW correct?

Yes one of the comments on the video said that the vehicle went south past UW Station.
(02-01-2018, 11:47 AM)Canard Wrote: One of the LRV’s is (was) in the yard this morning - Kevin will likely update soon!

Spotted this around 10:00 a.m. this morning:

[Image: 39317456674_556640ca40_b.jpg]
Not sure what I was seeing, but it looked like a Maintenance of Way (MoW) vehicle was coupled to either Ion LRV 503 or 504.  I didn't know that they _could_ be coupled!

[Image: 40027217621_e260e5dfa8_b.jpg]
The south gate was open and it looked like something had been down the yard tracks crossing the service road (note the right hand track compared to the left).

I got back out around 1:15 and drove the line from the OMSF to Allen and back to see what I could see from the road, but there was no activity.  Fortunately one R. Brent Clements did catch something and posted it to Facebook for us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...492879051/
Is there any indication on when 505 or 506 might be arriving here?

I had heard that the Region had requested that Bombardier delay delivery of the remaining LRVs until... something. I forget that part!
(02-01-2018, 05:15 PM)jamincan Wrote: I had heard that the Region had requested that Bombardier delay delivery of the remaining LRVs until... something. I forget that part!

until they're all "tickety-boo" or until Grandlinq really needs them. At this point in the testing they don't. So expect a sudden arrival of many vehicles sometime in the late winter, early spring -ish timeframe
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »