Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
No, I think if it was something as bad as that, all of the concrete would have been removed. The fact that it’s only the outboard side of the outboard rail makes me wonder if there’s an electrical connection to the rail that is buggy or something. That spot is right at a transition between catenary sections...

(01-15-2018, 08:43 AM)Canard Wrote: You freaked out that an engineer/designer made a mistake - I take that personally.

Trust me, I didnt freak out...  I can take this conversation off line in person, so you are absolutely clear on my intentions.....

But I will not continue to waste the forums time or space on this...
So who pays the bill for fixing whatever happened, Grandlinq or GRT?
GrandLinq, as ever. As they will be for the length of the 30-year contract.
..and this is the best part of P3. I wish this was better communicated to the public. This is truly a fixed-cost, turnkey thing.
With the exception being the non-P3 part, the vehicles themselves. We got a discount by bundling with Metrolinx' order (being like, what, 10% or less of the total order? really brought the price down per car), so even overages related to Bombardier (which is outside the P3) have to be seen in that context, just as they should be seen in the context that council planned for a bunch of tax increases to pay for this, and no additional increases have been needed to swallow even these surprise extra costs.
Eating Well Organically (the business in the recent CTV interview) is now closing and the owner is heavily blaming the LRT.

[Image: Y7VmtzH.jpg]

(01-15-2018, 10:48 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Eating Well Organically (the business in the recent CTV interview) is now closing and the owner is heavily blaming the LRT.

[Image: Y7VmtzH.jpg]

Wow, so many frustrating things with this.  

Still, if they can't sell organic home made food to the type of people who like to live an urban lifestyle, well, maybe it is time for new retail blood.
I also didn't understand how "home-made cookies" are incompatible with "high-rise condos."

Someone just the other day was telling me he was speaking to the owner of a sports store now closing its doors, and the owner was blaming LRT. He didn't seem to have any other factors he was blaming (though I am receiving this second-hand), and apparently claimed that the year before construction started was a banner year.

It's usually pointless to argue against things like some of the claims made in that letter. I do think it's sad to see businesses go under, though.
Crew was arriving for work at Borden/Charles today as of 7:45am.
So, no more testing has happened after last week's at Northfield/Conestoga?
I have good friends with a small business and every 5 years for a store they seriously re-evaluate what they're going to do with that store because they're always looking at 5-year leases that are a real commitment.

I know construction is hard for businesses like this. And I'm sure prices are going up for everything (including property taxes, rent, and electricity). But there's almost certainly a lot being left out and ignored to try and score political points against things they don't like. Running a business like that is a lot of hard work - and signing up for another 5 years at age 65 isn't something a lot of people will do for a lot of reasons not covered in that letter.
(01-16-2018, 11:23 AM)SammyOES Wrote: But there's almost certainly a lot being left out and ignored to try and score political points against things they don't like.  Running a business like that is a lot of hard work - and signing up for another 5 years at age 65 isn't something a lot of people will do for a lot of reasons not covered in that letter.

Well said!

Those were more or less my shower thoughts this morning (as well as remembering the configuration of the ropeway winches for the Big Chute Marine Railway). Much more elegantly put than I could have.
I’ve never run my own business so I don’t feel that I am qualified to comment on someone else’s circumstance who has been doing this so for a long period of time.

“Still, if they can't sell organic home made food to the type of people who like to live an urban lifestyle, well, maybe it is time for new retail blood.”

Just plain cold and thoughtless.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »