Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-15-2017, 07:43 AM)Canard Wrote: It’s common to have testing signs. It’s not as common to paint a rhino on it. Smile That’s what I was getting at. The rhino would be cool. Or beavers.

How many beavers does an LRV weigh?

Why not just say "This LRT weighs the same as 160,000 adult squirrels"

(11-15-2017, 09:17 PM)Canard Wrote: Re: the Oktoberfest Charles/Frederick rework, there were GrandLinq trucks there yesterday when I went by.  What is the nature of the rework in this area?

The new sidewalk is much higher than the original, which left the old open area with a dangerous ledge above it. It's had temporary fencing along that for months now.

They've torn up the concrete that had paved the open space, and are putting armour stone along that sidewalk ridge. Not sure what will be going in the open space, and also not sure why GrandLinq is required to participate...
Maybe the GrandLinq truck was there for another reason.
Has anyone caught any more activity along the line the past week or so? Besides 501 being towed out of the bay and then put back away a few days ago?
Drove past Conestoga Terminus, down Northfield, Parkside, and by the OMSF.

There was a crew of about 10 people with brand-new hard-hats and never-worn orange safety vests, standing around joking on the tracks. It really made me wonder if I was about to see an LRV being towed along Northfield!

Alas, no activity at all. I wonder what they were up to. Perhaps giving a tour?
Waterloo Central Railway is extending their route from Northfield to Elmira next year, with a stop right across Northfield from the ION station.

http://waterloocentralrailway.com/ride-t...ain-rides/
(11-17-2017, 04:08 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Waterloo Central Railway is extending their route from Northfield to Elmira next year, with a stop right across Northfield from the ION station.

http://waterloocentralrailway.com/ride-t...ain-rides/

That is going to make for a fun day out with my kids.  LRT to the WCR....

I thought that's what they were already doing right now, no? (ie, how is this different from today)
(11-17-2017, 04:18 PM)Canard Wrote: I thought that's what they were already doing right now, no? (ie, how is this different from today)

Right now they only run trains between Farmers Market Rd and Elmira, so this extends service down to Northfield to provide a link to the LRT.
Thanks - I thought they were already going to Northfield and that's where they had to truncate to from Perimeter when LRT construction started. I didn't realize they were currently so severely "neutered"!
Yep, they cut the route all the way to the market after they lost access to the ION section of the spur line. This is an interesting development because they are extending service down to Northfield specifically so customers can transfer from ION. There won't be any parking at the stop.
There's a very big lot at Northfield Crossing that is essentially empty all weekend (or any day after business hours). It'd be a shame to have all that available parking but not allow anyone to use it.

I get that it's private property though and probably owned by a company. Still, it would make a great park-and-ride.
(11-17-2017, 05:30 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Yep, they cut the route all the way to the market after they lost access to the ION section of the spur line. This is an interesting development because they are extending service down to Northfield specifically so customers can transfer from ION. There won't be any parking at the stop.

Is there a way to cross Northfield at that location?

There's a pedestrian signal that was installed alongside the new rail signals, yes.
I use this one when I do my “anticlockwise” LRT construction bike ride, and come West on Northfield and cut across into the Northfield Crossing lot to head South on Parkside, by the OMSF.

I hate using it, though, because it stops 4 (5) lanes of traffic and hundreds of cars are lined up for a good minute after I’m long gone. The timer is excessively long.

...But it is very convienently placed for this future WCRy connection.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »