Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-07-2017, 02:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Note that they were only testing the southbound track today - the train was not switched over when they got to Erb. They're checking how it works northbound on that track as well - presumably another day will see the other track checked.

Testing is today and Tomorrow according to Tom Galloway!

So the testing is only between the OMSF and Erb? I guess this is to clear the track for other testing and the rest of the system will get a pull-through at a later date?
(11-07-2017, 03:13 PM)jamincan Wrote: So the testing is only between the OMSF and Erb? I guess this is to clear the track for other testing and the rest of the system will get a pull-through at a later date?

This section has always been meant as the initial test track... I don't think we'll see a pull-through along the whole line anytime soon?
(11-07-2017, 03:13 PM)jamincan Wrote: So the testing is only between the OMSF and Erb? I guess this is to clear the track for other testing and the rest of the system will get a pull-through at a later date?

Yes Between Conestoga Mall and Erb/Caroline is the test track for now. It's a controlled environment close enough to the OMSF to make repairs or to tow back if anything happens during powered testing.
(11-07-2017, 03:39 PM)urbd Wrote:

This section has always been meant as the initial test track... I don't think we'll see a pull-through along the whole line anytime soon?

They'll likely expand the test track section in the new year once we have more vehicles.
(11-07-2017, 01:34 PM)chutten Wrote: Thanks for the link, Markster. I don't do the faceboo thing, so it's a helpful reference for me.

In Bombardier news, well, not news, I ran across this slickly-produced video essay about Bombardier's C-series airplanes. It's a heckuva story.

Em-BRAY-er?  I always thought it was Em-brye-AIR.
(11-01-2017, 02:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:00 PM)Canard Wrote: That is very coo! Was it illuminated because the truck was on the presence detector? Or do you think they radioed in and asked for it to be turned on while they work in the area?

Oh no, it definitely was cause by the truck driving. Maybe some sort of circuit completed by something? OR a pressure sensor? It was only illuminated for a few seconds as the truck made it to the other side of the intersection, didn't have enough time to get a photo.

Finally got a photo of this again today. the truck was on the tracks in front of the Victoria Park station and trigegred the lights again.

[Image: zla89h2.jpg]

(11-07-2017, 04:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Oh no, it definitely was cause by the truck driving. Maybe some sort of circuit completed by something? OR a pressure sensor? It was only illuminated for a few seconds as the truck made it to the other side of the intersection, didn't have enough time to get a photo.

Finally got a photo of this again today. the truck was on the tracks in front of the Victoria Park station and trigegred the lights again.

[Image: zla89h2.jpg]
It's just a simple induction loop detector on both sides of the intersection
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what exactly does that symbol mean?  Don't turn right on the green because a train is coming?  Or don't turn right, period?  And if so, other than being delayed (while the train passes), why not? 

edit:  Obviously been a while since I've been downtown, thought this was King and Gaukel (and not Charles and Gaukel).  The TD Center location should have tipped me off.  Carry on Wink
(11-07-2017, 09:07 PM)embe Wrote: Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what exactly does that symbol mean?  Don't turn right on the green because a train is coming?  Or don't turn right, period?  And if so, other than being delayed (while the train passes), why not?  

Not only curious for myself but also if I need to explain it to someone from out of town.

Don’t turn right, when the sign is turned on, which happens when a train is approaching. When it’s off, it’s the same as no sign; when it’s on, it’s the same as a normal printed metal sign.

In some places it effectively means “red means red”, where a right turn, normally legal, would cross the tracks. I think Erb eastbound at Caroline is like that.

In other places, it means the right turn, normally permitted because the light is green (or there is no signal), is not safe due to a train. I think Caroline southbound at William is like that.

(in both locations I can’t actually remember for sure if there are signs of the type under discussion)
These signs have been in use for a few years locally already (Coronation Blvd @ Concession Rd in Cambridge, King St E @ River Rd in Kitchener, and likely others)

I am curious how the sign at Alexandra Ave @ Caroline will light up. You can see the LED's for left and right turns, as well as the red circle and line, but at that point there will be no advancing with an approaching train. Both left and right arrows would look cramped, maybe just the red LED's?

Coke
There's one on King at River Road just South of Heffner Toyota, too.

What I'm curious about: Will all intersections go all-red when LRV's are moving through, or will the traffic light go Green at the same time as the LRV gets it's "|" aspect signal? I had always assumed the former, but I'm now thinking it might be the latter.

There are going to be a lot of interesting signaling scenarios, for sure. Think about the configuration at Hayward - you have people on Courtland running parallel to the tracks, but there's a giant railway crossing signal staring straight at you when you're coming South, toward Fairway. That's going to be awfully disorienting if that's going off while you've got a Green.
(11-07-2017, 10:05 PM)Canard Wrote: There's one on King at River Road just South of Heffner Toyota, too.

That's the same one I called "King St E @ River Rd in Kitchener"  LOL

Coke

A very exciting day.

Based on that video posted on the Facebook group of it crossing Columbia they'll need to tweak the signal timing; it was well half-way across the WB lanes before the arms started to descend.

Baby steps!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Signals were likely being manually dropped by the OnTrack safety folks who were chasing the train from intersection to intersection.

@Coke - I am so sorry - you know how I am with directions and geography!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »