Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-02-2017, 01:55 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm just saying - if LRV No. 1 showed up here without software, and 6 months later it still doesn't have working software... there is probably a good reason beyond what we are privy to.

I guess, but my point is just that thinking its likely an external factor like Transport Canada vs an internal factor at Bombardier is giving them the benefit of the doubt, which they definitely haven't earned.  It's not like writing software is a super reliable and predictable thing and any delay is likely to be caused by something else.

So, yeah, I take your point that its possible its not Bombardier's fault.  I just think thats really unlikely.  Not even accounting for the fact that if it IS an external factor they probably still should have been able to plan for it ahead of time.

Well this is a first for the LRT, a truck, parked for delivery, NOT blocking the tracks and instead on the road.  Bravo!
(09-02-2017, 08:15 AM)Canard Wrote: For all we know, it could be super-strict certification-type stuff with Transport Canada that is causing Bombardier all the headaches.  It's conceivable that there's a totally different protocol here for the programming, since it's running as a "railway" for part of the line - something they didn't have to do for the FLEXITY Outlook LRV's for Toronto.  You'd think Bombardier would try to defend themselves by pointing out something like that, but maybe they're bound not to by some kind of legal agreement.

What's disappointing, just watching the news now, is that the politicians knew the first train wasn't fully operational. They only got it to see if if would fit into the storage facility (I guess Home Hardware ran out of tap measures). They should have told us that when they got the train. We were all under the impression was that they got this LRV to test on our tracks.

Oh well.....
It's one thing to measure dimensions, it's another to have the actual unit in place. I think it was worthwhile that it came here, they just overstated the reason for it.
(09-03-2017, 10:36 AM)KevinL Wrote: It's one thing to measure dimensions, it's another to have the actual unit in place. I think it was worthwhile that it came here, they just overstated the reason for it.

They really should be doing their clearance testing now on the whole line. It could be towed, or it could be operated under its own power without signalling integration (when there is only one vehicle, signals are superfluous). If there are any clearance problems (unlikely) we don’t want them further delaying opening. Once the completed vehicles start showing up, it should be pretty well just a matter of burning each one. The non-vehicle components of the system should already be as fully as possible tested.
(09-03-2017, 11:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 10:36 AM)KevinL Wrote: It's one thing to measure dimensions, it's another to have the actual unit in place. I think it was worthwhile that it came here, they just overstated the reason for it.

They really should be doing their clearance testing now on the whole line. It could be towed, or it could be operated under its own power without signalling integration (when there is only one vehicle, signals are superfluous). If there are any clearance problems (unlikely) we don’t want them further delaying opening. Once the completed vehicles start showing up, it should be pretty well just a matter of burning each one. The non-vehicle components of the system should already be as fully as possible tested.

You have to wonder why they wouldn't. They had said they'd start testing in Waterloo late spring/early summer. But I guess that was never an intention, they stated that just to keep the public happy.

Still, they could tow it at least, to see how things work. I think the tracks are complete now...
I'm not sure the tracks are at at a fully-functional state beyond the rail-spur test track (Erb to Northfield). I don't think they heave concerns about dimensions within the test track, so they'll have to evaluate the rest of the system later on anyway.

Oops, I meant “burning in”, not burning. Tongue
Given all the "shaving" and rebuilding of platform edges it wouldn't hurt to move train #1 all through the line to check.

It will feel like a step backward for the upcoming open house if train #1 goes back before train #2 arrives and there are less trains onsite for the upcoming open house than there were for open house the first open house.

The region should compel Bombardier to staff a table at the upcoming open house or at least put a table there with their name on it indicating they aren't willing to answer questions or face the heat.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Note that a news story from CTV Kitchener claims in its headline that the unit is going back to Bombardier; this is not a confirmation, and the text of that same story still holds the line that it may be serviceable right here.
They 100% absolutely will do a pull-through clearance test on the entire line. This is done on all modern Light Rail systems (and roller coasters!).

It does sound like something they could/should be doing very soon, for sure!
Back in town; just saw they have completed the landscaping at Block Line. Grass and trees - looks stellar!
(09-05-2017, 04:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Back in town; just saw they have completed the landscaping at Block Line. Grass and trees - looks stellar!
pics please!

Sorry; was driving! No photos today. Weather doesn't look good until the weekend, though.

Tom Galloway was on the Mike Farwell Show today, talking about what's going on with 501.

http://www.570news.com/audio/the-mike-farwell-show/

Click -> Tuesday September 5 2017 - 10 AM
Fast Forward to 19:25 (trust me - you don't want to listen to what came before!)
I walked by Victoria Park station last week and the landscaping looks quite nice. Lots of sedum.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »