Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-30-2017, 09:59 AM)Canard Wrote: Doom-and-Gloom UrbanToronto reports that Waterloo is "WAY BEHIND!" and "NOTHING IS READY!". They love to spread filth, like saying our signaling system is "nowhere near ready for testing" and the like.

To be fair, their comments are directed pretty directly at the lack of vehicles.

Which I would agree is way behind, and one of them are ready.

There's always going to be people who like to talk doom and gloom without knowing or acknowledging all the facts (see a certain orange hued individual to the south). Everyone has a bias based on their experience. Acknowledge they have an opinion that differs from yours and move on.
(07-30-2017, 10:36 AM)Markster Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 09:59 AM)Canard Wrote: Doom-and-Gloom UrbanToronto reports that Waterloo is "WAY BEHIND!" and "NOTHING IS READY!". They love to spread filth, like saying our signaling system is "nowhere near ready for testing" and the like.

To be fair, their comments are directed pretty directly at the lack of vehicles.

I took a look at the link you provided and I don’t actually see any doom and gloom there — just a discussion mostly focussed on the delays in the LRV deliveries, which are at this point a year behind the original schedule (all vehicles were supposed to arrive in the second half of 2016). Perhaps Canard saw other discussions earlier in the thread or in a different thread.
(07-30-2017, 01:16 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 10:36 AM)Markster Wrote: To be fair, their comments are directed pretty directly at the lack of vehicles.

I took a look at the link you provided and I don’t actually see any doom and gloom there — just a discussion mostly focussed on the delays in the LRV deliveries, which are at this point a year behind the original schedule (all vehicles were supposed to arrive in the second half of 2016). Perhaps Canard saw other discussions earlier in the thread or in a different thread.

To be fair to Canard, there are one or two posters there that drop in to KW every few months with no context, make up opinions about the state of construction without being aware of the regular updates provided by the project team, and then state them as fact, which provides source material for other unaware people to respond.

The pace of transit development in the GTA informs their opinions.
(07-30-2017, 02:15 PM)timio Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 01:16 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I took a look at the link you provided and I don’t actually see any doom and gloom there — just a discussion mostly focussed on the delays in the LRV deliveries, which are at this point a year behind the original schedule (all vehicles were supposed to arrive in the second half of 2016). Perhaps Canard saw other discussions earlier in the thread or in a different thread.

To be fair to Canard, there are one or two posters there that drop in to KW every few months with no context, make up opinions about the state of construction without being aware of the regular updates provided by the project team, and then state them as fact, which provides source material for other unaware people to respond.

The pace of transit development in the GTA informs their opinions.

OK, thanks, that makes sense. I only read a page or two around the linked one and it seemed relatively reasonable.

I’m just glad construction is nearly done. Overall, it’s a big improvement, and I personally think that even with my various complaints it’s already a big improvement in many places even without service actually running (e.g., I think King St. is much nicer now than before). Looking forward to testing and then service beginning.
(07-30-2017, 03:28 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: OK, thanks, that makes sense. I only read a page or two around the linked one and it seemed relatively reasonable.

I’m just glad construction is nearly done. Overall, it’s a big improvement, and I personally think that even with my various complaints it’s already a big improvement in many places even without service actually running (e.g., I think King St. is much nicer now than before). Looking forward to testing and then service beginning.

This I entirely agree with. Despite the irrational doomsaying about it being two lanes, it makes the road far more pleasant to use as a pedestrian (or even a cyclist I would guess). The excessive lights near the hospital aside, I think the road probably functions better than it did. And uptown is of no comparison whatsoever.

I am anxious to get the rest of King improved similarly up to University...and hopefully one day, through on till the MUTs begin.
Northfield is completely open with all the lane markings painted as of today. They still have the "exit closed" sign up on the expressway approaching from the north. I noticed the bike lane by the southbound entrance is painted solid safety green now.

(07-31-2017, 09:34 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Northfield is completely open with all the lane markings painted as of today. They still have the "exit closed" sign up on the expressway approaching from the north. I noticed the bike lane by the southbound entrance is painted solid safety green now.

While green is appreciated, a bike lane across an on/off ramp is still a deathtrap.
Went down through the grade separation today for the first time. Looks pretty sweet! Makes a nice entrance into DTK. Like passing through the city gates or something. Smile
OK, now I can say it. I drove through on the weekend and thought it was staggeringly ugly. I'm hoping they'll be able to plant vines along the walls to hang down and soften things a a bit.
It's certainly a heat island as a pedestrian. Walking this stretch is not pleasant in any kind of summer weather. Hopefully some potted trees might be able to make an appearance, or something else to create bits of shade/heat absorption.
(08-02-2017, 04:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: OK, now I can say it.  I drove through on the weekend and thought it was staggeringly ugly.  I'm hoping they'll be able to plant vines along the walls to hang down and soften things a a bit.

Sure looks a lot better than the piece of crap it was before! Broken crumbling pavement, gross sidewalks, just generally looked like garbage. Way better now!

I think about that every time I am on Borden - Borden was such a cesspool before. It looks fantastic now!

(08-02-2017, 04:43 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's certainly a heat island as a pedestrian. Walking this stretch is not pleasant in any kind of summer weather. Hopefully some potted trees might be able to make an appearance, or something else to create bits of shade/heat absorption.

This is an issue along the whole line. Street trees were planted mostly just to replace any that had to be removed for construction, almost no real additions. There was very limited thought about actually improving the quality of the streetscapes and enhancing the shade conditions along the rebuilt sidewalks. It's a shame and a wasted opportunity - the urban areas of the Region are all big heat islands, no urban tree canopy whatsoever.
(08-02-2017, 05:13 PM)Canard Wrote: Sure looks a lot better than the piece of crap it was before!  Broken crumbling pavement, gross sidewalks, just generally looked like garbage.  Way better now!

Complete agreement here - King needed its streetscape renewed no matter what, and this is far and away from what existed before.

That said, things could still be better. I hope after GrandLinq signs off on their work the city/region come in to add improvements.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »