Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I've been puzzling for some time over the pictures I've seen of the anchor walls at the various stations. Do they all have a clear "window" in them? Is this done for security reasons? It's not very attractive, to my eye.

(06-29-2017, 02:10 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Hmmm, the image is not visible, at least not to me.

Fixed, hopefully?
The glass window in lower portions of the Anchor walls is horrible, I agree - I hate it.
(06-29-2017, 10:55 AM)Canard Wrote: The glass window in lower portions of the Anchor walls is horrible, I agree - I hate it.

Do you know, is it for security reasons?  I can't think of any other explanation.  I wonder whether they (perhaps the walls in general) won't get filthy dirty every winter?
(06-29-2017, 10:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've been puzzling for some time over the pictures I've seen of the anchor walls at the various stations.  Do they all have a clear "window" in them?  Is this done for security reasons?  It's not very attractive, to my eye.

Yes it is for safety. It is part of the overall Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) of the Ion stations. It is supposed to reduce places where someone can hide.

For example, from the Schedule 15-2 (LRT Stops and Stop Equipment):
"Avoid square columns or columns wider than 400mm to minimize potential hiding places."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Thanks, I figured that had to be the explanation.
But the remaining sides on either side of the glass are greater than 400 mm.

(06-29-2017, 07:07 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Bottom line, though: people on foot are legally allowed down King, and can safely do it? Even if they have to use the street?

The possible source of confusion: the street is not open to motor vehicles.
In the stop design document, on page 3, it looks like there could be seating in front of the glass. But then none of the station designs include seating there. If there was seating, it might be nice to have a window so you aren't sitting in a shadow when the sun is on the other side.

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...mittee.pdf
kps: "The possible source of confusion: the street is not open to motor vehicles."

My source of confusion is that I haven't seen it with my own eyes. But I'm hearing that it's both safe and legal to use, so thanks to those who provided that info.
But the window is very low - at the bottom. So only your feet would get some light.
It's safe and legal as per the project team and Lens' photos quite clearly show the parade of orange cones, making a safe passage through the abyss.
What do you mean by "safe paste through the abyss"?

The photo shows the cones, but I don't think it's obvious from the photo that the intent is a foot path. I don't know what you might be referring to when you say "as per the project team."

ijmorlan answered, in post #8768, with his own observations. That was very helpful.

Walking through it this morning, it is clearly intended as a path (the cones even have rope strung between them) and is relatively convenient to use, except right at the end, where there's a fence with no opening so good luck if you're in some way unable to hop a curb.
Uh oh.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt">@rideIONrt</a> Looks like drainage not going smoothly at Charles/Gaukel since paving was done. Can someone take a look? <a href="https://t.co/g1IghXN21X">pic.twitter.com/g1IghXN21X</a></p>&mdash; Kevin Loughlin ? (@KevinLMaps) <a href="https://twitter.com/KevinLMaps/status/880470420327149569">June 29, 2017</a></blockquote>
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »