Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
If the region relaxes the deadline shouldn't they get something back in return? Like part of the $2million spent on the dome?

I've mentioned this before, but I think a lot of people spend too much time worrying about following the exact letter of these contracts.

If one side does that, the other side quickly starts doing that too. And, most of the time, we end up with a shittier product at higher cost.
(05-26-2017, 09:30 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I've mentioned this before, but I think a lot of people spend too much time worrying about following the exact letter of these contracts.

If one side does that, the other side quickly starts doing that too.  And, most of the time, we end up with a shittier product at higher cost.

Lawyers are the only ones who win in these situations.
(05-26-2017, 09:15 AM)greybird Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 01:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Little birdies are indicating Train 2 may very well be the first to hit the test track.  Angel

Why would that be the case?

Maybe they saw a problem in #1 that is difficult to fix when fully assembled put were able to fix more easily in #2 because of the stage of assembly it was at when the problem was flagged?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-26-2017, 09:27 AM)JoeKW Wrote: If the region relaxes the deadline shouldn't they get something back in return? Like part of the $2million spent on the dome?

I expect that there are little bits of give and take everywhere, and resolving things in the end is a lot easier if both parties show goodwill. The dome is a big issue for a lot of people because it was very visible and talked about repeatedly in the Record. I don't think anything has been announced about who will pay for it, but I imagine that there is some discussion. Another thing that comes to mind is the delays and additional work that Grandlinq had because the Region didn't give accurate information about what was buried underground in some places (because the Region didn't know either, but they really should!).
(05-26-2017, 10:28 AM)timc Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 09:27 AM)JoeKW Wrote: If the region relaxes the deadline shouldn't they get something back in return? Like part of the $2million spent on the dome?

I expect that there are little bits of give and take everywhere, and resolving things in the end is a lot easier if both parties show goodwill. The dome is a big issue for a lot of people because it was very visible and talked about repeatedly in the Record. I don't think anything has been announced about who will pay for it, but I imagine that there is some discussion. Another thing that comes to mind is the delays and additional work that Grandlinq had because the Region didn't give accurate information about what was buried underground in some places (because the Region didn't know either, but they really should!).

IANAL but as far as I understand, the contract was very friendly to the region in terms of risk, we paid a great deal more in order to ensure that issues like that don't cost us anything.  Having inaccurate information about 50-200 year old buried infrastructure would seem to qualify as the standard construction issues that the contract was meant to isolate us from, but again, IANAL.
The sidewalk at the corner of Queen and Charles was poured this morning. Also the sidewalk and curbs behind the Queen stop have been poured. Looks like only remaining item is to asphalt the intersection.

So much action today!

-Massive gantries are now up at Fairway, for supporting the huge, heavy-railway grade crossing signals
-Catenary being strung on the Hydro Alignment by Mass Electric
-Anchor wall + Text up at Block Line
-Final pour happening at the creek midway between Courtland and Charles, on Ottawa
(05-26-2017, 11:09 AM)JJTL Wrote: The sidewalk at the corner of Queen and Charles was poured this morning. Also the sidewalk and curbs behind the Queen stop have been poured. Looks like only remaining item is to asphalt the intersection.

And it looks good!

The Queen station platform was also being poured at lunchtime.
(05-26-2017, 01:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 11:09 AM)JJTL Wrote: The sidewalk at the corner of Queen and Charles was poured this morning. Also the sidewalk and curbs behind the Queen stop have been poured. Looks like only remaining item is to asphalt the intersection.

And it looks good!

Those wires poking up....don't tell me there's another gigantic pole going in the middle of the sidewalk.
(05-26-2017, 01:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 01:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And it looks good!

Those wires poking up....don't tell me there's another gigantic pole going in the middle of the sidewalk.

No they are just looped up out of a junction box which will have a cover.  They had to lower the top of the box from the original sidewalk level.
(05-26-2017, 01:58 PM)boatracer Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 01:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Those wires poking up....don't tell me there's another gigantic pole going in the middle of the sidewalk.

No they are just looped up out of a junction box which will have a cover.  They had to lower the top of the box from the original sidewalk level.

+1 .  so glad to be wrong.
(05-26-2017, 12:14 PM)Canard Wrote: So much action today!

-Massive gantries are now up at Fairway, for supporting the huge, heavy-railway grade crossing signals
-Catenary being strung on the Hydro Alignment by Mass Electric
-Anchor wall + Text up at Block Line
-Final pour happening at the creek midway between Courtland and Charles, on Ottawa

Also: Paving was happening on University Avenue today. Columbia Street is next week.

They poured concrete at the Laurel Trail crossing at Columbia Street. But I'm pretty sure they were supposed to install the tactile plates that were lying on the ground next to it. Am I mistaken, or shouldn't that happen at the same time as the concrete is poured?  Huh

(05-26-2017, 01:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

And it looks good!

Hmm, no metal crossing plates here? Isn't that a legal requirement?
(05-26-2017, 02:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Hmm, no metal crossing plates here? Isn't that a legal requirement?

The photo makes the concrete look dry; it must have still been very wet when it was taken, as the plates are in now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »