Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Why does having the word "King" in the name make sense? I'm just wondering.

"what station are we getting off at?"
"Ummmm, King."
"Aren't we on King?"
"...yes."
"..."
"..........."

(05-26-2015, 07:52 PM)Canard Wrote: Why does having the word "King" in the name make sense? I'm just wondering.

"what station are we getting off at?"
"Ummmm, King."
"Aren't we on King?"
"...yes."
"..."
"..........."

I guess I was just assuming the transit hub itself would be called "King Central Station" which I don't mind. But yeah I know what you mean. I still think the Central Station - Innovation District is too long and not really catchy. But maybe I'll change my mind.
(05-26-2015, 07:17 PM)Canard Wrote: Love the new name! King Central was awful and it made no sense to reference King, since that's the road you're traveling along and its therefore not unique.

I didn't like the old name either.  I'm not sold on the new one though.  It's too long.  

At the end of the day I see this name change once the station is named.  The stop should be named the transit hub name.

Innovation Station? haha
(05-26-2015, 07:20 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Heard the news on the radio this afternoon and it sounds like the Region is indeed looking at more provincial funding for Phase II.

Good.  If Wynn is going to fully fund some projects at a billion plus, she's got to do the same elsewhere.
(05-26-2015, 06:53 AM)Markster Wrote: Not at the same time, no.
Freight will be after-hours

While the original plan was that freight would run after-hours, a compromise was reached with the GEXR.  A couple hours before the LRT shuts down for the night (eg ~11:30), the heavy rail train will travel north while the LRT vehicles are stopped clear of the Waterloo Spur.  After the freight train passes to the north, the LRT will resume for the final runs of the night.  With luck, the freight train will return south before the LRT starts up again in the morning.  Time will tell whether the GEXR has enough time to complete its work north of Northfield before it needs to head back onto the LRT system.
"Central Station Innovation District" is such a convaluted name for a transit stop. In common usage no one is gonna say anything but the first part, just like everyone knows where you mean when you say "the terminal" in KW, the same thing will happen with the new terminal.
(05-26-2015, 10:50 PM)nms Wrote: While the original plan was that freight would run after-hours, a compromise was reached with the GEXR.  A couple hours before the LRT shuts down for the night (eg ~11:30), the heavy rail train will travel north while the LRT vehicles are stopped clear of the Waterloo Spur.  After the freight train passes to the north, the LRT will resume for the final runs of the night.  With luck, the freight train will return south before the LRT starts up again in the morning.  Time will tell whether the GEXR has enough time to complete its work north of Northfield before it needs to head back onto the LRT system.
That is fascinating, and I had not heard that before.
Well, if they reduce frequency to 1/2 hour service (which I'm not a fan of) then there should be track time available.

Didn't take long: Province’s LRT funding in Hamilton ‘injustice,’ councillor says
Quote:For the second time in as many months regional politicians are crying foul about unfair treatment from the province over light rail funding.

On Tuesday, the province committed $1 billion to fully fund capital costs of Hamilton's light rail transit line and GO Transit expansion.

In April, the provincial government announced $1.6 billion to pay for the Hurontario Line between Mississauga and Brampton.

"It's galling … There certainly is a sense of injustice for our community here," Coun. Sean Strickland said.

Region of Waterloo politicians want answers from the province on whether all transit funding requests will now get full funding after the Mississauga and Hamilton announcements.

They'd like 100 per cent funding for Phase 2 of light rail from Kitchener to Cambridge and better GO Train service...
Re: too long...

I smile every time I ride the DC Metro through "U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Station".

Station names don't have to be short. There's no rule.
The Region hasn't officially asked for any money, that I'm aware of. How can we complain if we haven't formally requested funds? Let's get the EA started and ask for a figure, then complain if we don't get it.

The Region owns our system, which is different from Hamilton's deal, which will be owned by the Province (Metrolinx).
(05-27-2015, 09:21 AM)Canard Wrote: Re: too long...

I smile every time I ride the DC Metro through "U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Station".

Station names don't have to be short. There's no rule.

That's true, but no one very few people apart from Canard and his buddies ever say "We're getting off at U Street African-American Civil War Memorial Cardozo [breath] station, right?"

I am glad it's Central Station. I'm not too interested in what the second half was. I suspect I'll be using "Victoria" in conversation, but at least "Central Station" will be informative to people who might not be regular users of the system.
(05-27-2015, 09:24 AM)Canard Wrote: The Region hasn't officially asked for any money, that I'm aware of. How can we complain if we haven't formally requested funds? Let's get the EA started and ask for a figure, then complain if we don't get it.

Someone in this thread posted that they have already started the EA.
Regarding the DC metro, my buddies and I absolutely do say the whole thing because it's hilarious and fun to say. Smile

(05-27-2015, 11:24 AM)Canard Wrote: Regarding the DC metro, my buddies and I absolutely do say the whole thing because it's hilarious and fun to say. Smile

I stand corrected! I have edited accordingly.
Thank you, I appreciate that. Har har har.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »