Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
In a Keanu Reeves voice:

Whoa  that just about blew my mind, dude.

Seriously, I think unexciting names is the way to go. This way I don't have to wonder where exactly the GRH hospital stop is.

Edit: I read the table backwards first time around.

(05-22-2015, 04:21 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: In a Keanu Reeves voice:

Whoa  that just about blew my mind, dude.

Seriously, I think unexciting names is the way to go. This way I don't have to wonder where exactly the GRH hospital stop is. Perhaps the one exception is the Kitchener Market and Victoria Park stops which should have been thus named.

I'm glad they went with Kitchener Market. I would have been even happier with just "Market", but there seems to be a pattern of including city names in the less unique names. (Kitchener City Hall, Waterloo Public Square...)
I like King Central. These names are, I think, pretty uncontroversial, which is good.

Even when you name stops after streets sometimes it doesn't quite go as hoped, e.g. Lionel-Groulx in Montreal.
Lionel Groulx isn't named after a street though, it's named after a person (and it's a hell of a station - love the cross-platform transfers!).

The names... meh. R&T Park was fine to me, I don't get Queen, King Central is kind of awful ("King & Victoria" or "Transit Hub" would have been fine, or even just "Victoria" since the train is moving along King, it should be at least named after the road it intersects, not the one its on!).

Very minor irritation in an otherwise so far very smooth project Smile
(05-22-2015, 05:29 PM)Canard Wrote: Lionel Groulx isn't named after a street though, it's named after a person (and it's a hell of a station - love the cross-platform transfers!).

The names... meh.  R&T Park was fine to me, I don't get Queen, King Central is kind of awful ("King & Victoria" or "Transit Hub" would have been fine, or even just "Victoria" since the train is moving along King, it should be at least named after the road it intersects, not the one its on!).

Very minor irritation in an otherwise so far very smooth project Smile

There is a street Lionel-Groulx where the station is located. They could also have named the station St-Jacques but that is an east-west street and it could be confusing (Lionel-Groulx is the street it intersects, not the street it's on).

I think that was the first cross-platform transfer in Montreal. Snowdon was also an attempt at a cross-platform transfer, but it was thwarted by a lack of extension in line 5 westward.

R&T park would've worked too. Is Queen station not actually on Queen St? I thought there was also a Victoria station, but I forget.
"King Central" avoids overlap with "Victoria Park"
"Queen" is indeed going to be at Queen St. Last I heard, it got moved from being flush with the Benton side of the block, to being flush with the Queen side. Same block, just a few metres west.
I think King Central is a place holder for the name of the train station. King Victoria would have been weird as their hasn't been one.

Lyon Terminal
MacKenzie-King
Kitchener-Waterloo Station

All possible names (in my imagination only) for the train station.

I think they should've kept the "Mall" for Conestoga Mall and "Park" for R&T Park. 'Research & Technology' sounds incomplete and awkward. Interesting to hear about the Benton stop being moved to Queen. I would've thought that Benton would provide for better connectivity with buses.
I read it and assumed it meant the new station would be called "King Central Station"...
Research and Technology what - exactly.

I'm trying to imagine how the automated station stops will sound in the train. With these new names, a few of them will seem a bit awkward.

Bing-Bong. "The next station is Research and Technology. Research and Technology Station. The doors will open on the right at Research and Technology."

I guess I shouldn't complain. Nothing tops Washington DC's U Street/African American Civil War Memoral/Cardozo Station. Smile
I keep wondering when to bring it up, but two things weigh heavily on my mind, too:
  • What will our door chime be?
  • What voice will our automated station stop announcements be?

It's logical to assume we'll get what Toronto gets, since our train order is lumped in with theirs for the Eglinton Crosstown. Which is fine, I just hoped for something different. I got flamed on UrbanToronto for suggesting we should have something unique.
You got flamed on UT because on UT they are quick to flame, and slow in reading comprehension. They misread you, thinking you were asking whether there would be a door chime at all!
(05-22-2015, 08:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Bing-Bong.  "The next station is Research and Technology.  Research and Technology Station.  The doors will open on the right at Research and Technology."

Or, just, "Next station: Research and Technology". I like the sound of that better than "R&T Park" or other less artistic alternatives.

(05-22-2015, 07:14 PM)YKF Wrote: I think they should've kept the "Mall" for Conestoga Mall and "Park" for R&T Park. 'Research & Technology' sounds incomplete and awkward. Interesting to hear about the Benton stop being moved to Queen. I would've thought that Benton would provide for better connectivity with buses.

I wondered a bit about Conestoga. Their goal was to avoid naming after businesses, and malls do go out of business. I don't think anyone calls that neighbourhood Conestoga. On the other hand, for "mall", there is the other mall at the other end of the line.

"Park"? No, not really, R&T park isn't a park in any normal sense of the word, and that's a bit misleading considering that the LRT goes through two actual parks.
(05-23-2015, 01:23 AM)BrianT Wrote: Since Victoria is a major street, it should either be called Victoria or Victoria Central. King Central doesn't let anyone know where they are. Presumably, they already know that they are on King. If they want to keep 'King' in the name, they could call it King-Hauptbahnhof, reflecting our German heritage and the fact that it is a transit hub.

While Hauptbanhof does reflect Kitchener's German heritage it's too long and too hard to spell. Even in Germany they always abbreviate to X HB, and X is usually the city, not a street in the city.

Central stations exist in many other places and people aren't really confused about where they are. It's right in the middle of Kitchener, and it's also intermodal, which makes sense for a Central station. Is Union Station confusing?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »