Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-01-2017, 09:01 PM)Canard Wrote: Tom just confirmed on twitter that the ion logo on the anchor walls is no longer going to glow/pulsate as a train approaches. Sad

Very, very, very disappointed to hear this.

Official reply from the Region:

-ION logo on the Anchor Walls will be illuminated
-It will not glow/pulsate during LRV approach, as originally proposed
-"GrandLinq was unable to find a solution that would fit the timeline and budget of the project"

Next we will hear an official announcement:
-ION rapidway will be completed in 2017
-ION system will not feature LRT vehicles
-"GrandLinq was unable to find a solution to move people along the line that would fit the timeline and budget of the project"
(03-06-2017, 02:15 PM)Canard Wrote: -"GrandLinq was unable to find a solution that would fit the timeline and budget of the project"

Isn't the supposed benefit of a PPP to the Public that it's up to the Private to bear the cost of fulfilling their side of the contract?
Yes.

All I think I can say publically is that there are two different stories here on why we aren't seeing the illuminated logos.
(03-06-2017, 04:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes.

All I think I can say publically is that there are two different stories here on why we aren't seeing the illuminated logos.

Agree
Well at least they didn't start installing them, and then they never work once like the Kitchener City Hall weather beacon fiasco.
In other news, the stone feature wall at Victoria Park station is going in - it's quite far along, in fact.

Very cool - I'll have to swing by on my way home from work and have a peek, before it gets covered up! They were pretty quick to do that at Seagram.

Scary stuff out of Houston: http://www.khou.com/news/local/houston-m.../419689069
Some of the things I'm noticing in that Houston video: It looks like some of the station areas are more isolated from cars and traffic, more like Seagram or R&T Park than Allen or the Intermodal Hub. I'm also wondering if there are bike parking stalls on the platforms, rather than off to the side of the adjacent-to-street sidewalks. I'm a bit disturbed that people could be so unaware, and do not want us to wait for tragedy to be reevaluating our system and risks surrounding it.
This is why I am always on the hammer about safety around trains - any type. This is new to us here. People are going to do stupid stuff and they're going to get hurt, unless we get the word out now and try our best to make people aware of the hazards.

Just last weekend I was biking along Father David Bauer next to the Perimeter Institute and I see two people cluelessly walking down the tracks, inside the fence.
(03-07-2017, 02:24 PM)Canard Wrote: This is why I am always on the hammer about safety around trains - any type. This is new to us here. People are going to do stupid stuff and they're going to get hurt, unless we get the word out now and try our best to make people aware of the hazards.

Just last weekend I was biking along Father David Bauer next to the Perimeter Institute and I see two people cluelessly walking down the tracks, inside the fence.

I think when we know there is no danger of a train coming, we tend to let our guard down.  This is why we needed to make an example out of those who park on the tracks now.  Unfortunately, this example hasn't yet been made.... (I passed a taxi this morning outside the bus terminal parked immediately in front of the giant no stopping signs.)

I guess it doesn't help that the GrandLink workers use the tracks as a parking lot as well... this leads to the mob mentality of if its OK for one, its OK for all....

Coke
(03-07-2017, 12:57 PM)Canard Wrote: Scary stuff out of Houston:  http://www.khou.com/news/local/houston-m.../419689069

From the article: "I think about the subway system in Washington D.C." said John Long, Executive Director of Bike Houston, who was part of that group.  "They have lights embedded in the ground that light up when a train is coming into the station.  Could some signalization like that work here in Houston at the light rail platforms and crossing?"  

Easy Answer: They will likely be unable to find a solution that would fit the timeline and budget of the project.    Wink

Coke
That made me laugh out loud. Smile

I love the DC platform lights - I read about them in a book as a very young kid and when we went there for the first time as a youngster it was the first thing I looked for. Never forgot 'em and I still think about them every time I'm standing on a platform there, in awe at the architecture and overall beauty of that system.

What they mean is that it doesn't fit with their profit margins. GrandLinq signed a contract saying they would build X, Y, Z for ~$800 million dollars. If they aren't going to build Z because it isn't in the budget then they should still have to build it and pay for it themselves. I thought that was one of the supposed benefits of the PPP?

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Victoria Park anchor wall:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »