Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I use the bus shelter at Sporstworld to go to Toronto. It is heated and in the winter is very appreciated. However, I find that some people are using it to smoke cigarettes and drink beer. This might be a good location for a camera to monitor.

As a followup to my Manitou shot from the other day, here's the Fairview end of the hydro corridor - showing the suspended lines are now severed!

[Image: 20150423_122922.jpg]

[Image: RdKjI1_SaXdB8glkrHuFDJyc4ZNhzHPEdcJPTzi6...80-h695-no]

The underground conductors must therefore now be carrying the current - all that remains is for the suspended lines to come down (work has already started, as per the second image) and the towers to be dismantled. Huzzah!
As I said before, this is going to dramatically change the landscape for those who live along Fairway road. Here's to progress!

Was by Dutton tonight, and the steel for the office looks to be complete, now. There's a bunch of ballast now down, too, I think, on the south side of Weber. I was driving so a bit hard to tell but I would imagine trackwork would begin shortly. It's expensive to have all that equipment sitting idle at Waterloo Park... stands to reason it'll be put to work soon.
I just noticed that Google Maps' satellite photos shows the hydro corridor construction.
(04-24-2015, 12:15 AM)isUsername Wrote: I just noticed that Google Maps' satellite photos shows the hydro corridor construction.

Indeed, the current imagery is from last November. You can also see work on Caroline in Waterloo.
Today in CBC radio Kathleen Wynne said that Phase II of LRT qualifies for provincial funding.
I think we expected/knew that, but the question is "How Much".

The difference between those who "qualify" for UW's Computer Science program and those who get accepted (hint: 95% average gets blue binned without a second glance) is huge. We can qualify for it, but actually clearing the real acceptance hurdles will be a big deal.
Confirmation that work on the Waterloo Spur will start next week to shift the existing track to a temporary alignment, with ION track going down shortly thereafter. Really heating up now!
(04-24-2015, 12:24 PM)Canard Wrote: I think we expected/knew that, but the question is "How Much".

At least in my mind there was the question if the non-GTA funds were already spoken for, much like the GTA funs have already been majoritarily committed to the Mississauga-Brampton LRT line.

According to Ms. Wynne this is not the case for the non-GTA pot.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=598974

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=598926
(04-23-2015, 09:30 PM)Canard Wrote:   It's expensive to have all that equipment sitting idle at Waterloo Park... stands to reason it'll be put to work soon.

The gravel spreader was on the move today, as I drove past the Uptown station. The track laying equipment wasn't there at all.
Neat time lapse of construction on King Street:  https://twitter.com/vincentoptical/statu...0050093056

They've demolished the pedestrian bridge over Laurel Creek at E5

I took some video of the initial demo work:

It... may(???) be replaced?

I think Laurel Creek is on the other side of campus.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »