Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I wonder if the twin track would be to the left or the right of the present track?

You can actually see it in the public plans. The twin track will be to the west of the existing track. (Right in the top photo, left in the bottom)

The west track will be the freight-compatible track, so I suspect they will build the replacement freight track first, then tear up the existing track to rebuild as LRT-only.
Cambridge Ion Bus Stops delayed

There's always going to be this sort of thing appear in a large-scale project.  It's unfortunate the majority of the delay is now caused by the weather.  The naysayers see the word delay and will scream bloody murder and all their "told you so's" will at the forefront regardless of cause.
The stops are visually very close to completion, it's been nice to see the aesthetics of the finishes they've chosen, as it will be a great preview of what the LRT stops will be like. I drive by the BRT stops almost every day. The small sections of single lane closures haven't hampered traffic very much, if at all. 24 is always busy, but it generally flows fairly well.
Does anyone have pictures of what the BRT stations look like at the moment?
I noticed that the construction blocking a lane on Erb st seems to be cleaning up now. It will be nice when that's open again, it causes somewhat of a delay in the morning.
(12-09-2014, 10:27 PM)curiouschair Wrote: I noticed that the construction blocking a lane on Erb st seems to be cleaning up now. It will be nice when that's open again, it causes somewhat of a delay in the morning.

That construction has been going on for absurdly long with relatively low activity. I'm going to sound like a grumpy old man, but as best as I can remember that wasn't the case back in the day. Crews would come in, labour around the clock and have the place back in shape before you knew it.

Ah, but that costs extra.  Or they found a surprise that they were not counting on.  Does anyone know if that particular site was Ion related?
(12-09-2014, 10:27 PM)curiouschair Wrote: I noticed that the construction blocking a lane on Erb st seems to be cleaning up now. It will be nice when that's open again, it causes somewhat of a delay in the morning.

I wouldn't say it was clearing. It's just that there's no signs of life there now. No construction crew or other activity. The lane is still blocked and east bound traffic is backed up half way to Westmount even at 2pm in the afternoon.

BTW what are they doing there in front of CIGI anyway? I don't see how it relates to the LRT because it's well west of the tracks.
I had assumed that it was somehow related to the utility re-location. As I recall reading somewhere it was only supposed to be until next week. Maybe I misread that.
I drove past it today and it does look like they are preparing to reopen that part. We'll see.
I walked by there last night and both lanes are now open again.
Photo taken today at UW by Davis Centre looking south. 

[Image: IMG_20141213_114156_zps237b98e1.jpg]

Sunday Dec 14, 2014 - Caroline in Waterloo
[Image: B41-buhIQAAxTOv.jpg:large]
The aBRT stop at Hespeler/Pinebush is now under a temporary white-tarp enclosure structure (both sides). I assume this is to keep the concrete warm as it is poured for the platforms. Quite an elaborate setup.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »