Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-23-2014, 12:40 AM)BrianT Wrote: Here's the LRT that Outhit rode.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErLZQuq5YC8

ooh that grass is nice!  can we have that?

The Economist on LRTs:

http://www.economist.com/news/united-sta...all-aboard
(11-23-2014, 09:58 AM)Smore Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 12:40 AM)BrianT Wrote: Here's the LRT that Outhit rode.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErLZQuq5YC8

ooh that grass is nice!  can we have that?

The grass is awesome, the line up of cars on the adjacent street is awesome, the way the tram bolted from the station and the two cars behind it slowly pulled out was awesome, the "jet engine" sounds were awesome...

RoW needs to show the "we already had streetcar" crowd videos like that!
(11-26-2014, 08:30 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: RoW needs to show the "we already had streetcar" crowd videos like that!

On the other hand, there has already been enough confusion with LRT (with dedicated right-of-way) vs. Toronto's mixed-traffic streetcar that the scene where the Toulouse tram shares a lane would be... unhelpful. I know European tram systems are designed with some flexibility depending on the context, but I also remember the damage misrepresentative images can cause.

That aside, I'm surprised at the jet sounds from the Alstom vehicle. Weird.
He could have saved himself some work and just used a picture of Translohr if he wanted to show a Tram on Tires Big Grin

If you like those videos, you'll want to check out the videos of ErebosSan, Funimag, and of course the master of all rail videos European, DashLoc.

Another item worth noting is there is a plethora of G:link videos out there now from the Gold Coast's new system which just opened - and built by some of the same key players from our own project. I expect many similarities in look and feel of the technical elements (catenary, crossings, etc.).
The hydro corridor work continues, got a good look at the Fairway parking lot stuff this morning.

[Image: O-ggjNcbqUCXvOxasQhlVNZ7bfioY7a_zI6dThQ-...18-h629-no]

[Image: 20141128_113947.jpg]

So sound-barrier style retaining walls will be what keeps the underground-to-overground transition safe from the shopping public. Still feels odd to have it in the middle of a mall parking lot.
I can't wait for opening day in 2017.  I hope we have a level of send-off excitement like this!

Construction continues at the Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility at Dutton Drive.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60]

And that, is a nice shot of the exact location of the future ION stop.
Temporary asphalt between Allen and William being put down on Caroline today.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Finishing up for the winter, indeed.
Here's a nice video from California outlining the heavy construction we'll start to see next spring:

(The type of construction used here is what we'll see for the North Waterloo segment, and the Southern end, along the Hydrocut on Fairway and so on. Construction along roadways is a bit different.)

Good and informative video. I was wondering why they were laying all of that pipe on Caroline.
LRT Progress at Columbia in Waterloo, first looking South (U of W in the distance), second looking North.

[Image: B4M_gLJCIAA57c3.jpg:large][Image: B4M--XHCAAEBqDB.jpg:large]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »