Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
"Davis noted that his own house is set back from the street, so his opposition wasn't personal."

Mmmhmm...

Lets take a ride down historic Main street:

food basics plaza
canadian tire plaza
tim hortons plaza with trees on the other side of the road
gas station
dentist clinic
long stretch of nothing on the road but trees and roads into subdivisions
pizza pizza
crappy medical plaza
new gas station
metro plaza
run down looking apartments
a couple blocks of nice looking homes where Brampton Billy lives
some funeral homes
small piece of downtown
Go station

It looks like the only argument anyone could really have would be that the road through the nice looking homes would go from 4 lanes to two, and might take certain former Premiers 2 minutes longer to get home some days. Solid choice Brampton.
Having the Hurontario LRT connect to the GO station would have made so much sense and made a Kitchener-Mississauga commute via transit a whole lot easier.
Can they reroute it to Bramalea station instead?
(10-28-2015, 07:46 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 06:35 AM)Canard Wrote: Unbelievably, they voted 6-5 against. So it will still be built, but it will only run from Port Credit GO up to Steeles, missing the connection at the Brampton GO station by about 3 kilometres, and the money (~400 Million) goes back to the province. Nice job, Brampton. What a useless endeavour. This CBC article sums it up pretty well:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toron...-1.3291894

This reminds me of the Buffalo LRT which was condemned to fail from the get go by virtue of being left a couple of kilometers short of its natural destination, namely the University at Buffalo.

You can conveniently hop in downtown Buffalo on the LRT and take a ride to nowhere you'd like to go.

p.s. Since the money is being returned to the province perhaps someone can suggest to Premier Wynne that certain LRT is ready to go to phase II.

My wife and I use the Buffalo LRT after hockey games to get from First Niagara Centre to the lot where our car is parked. So not completely useless. Rolleyes Tongue
(10-28-2015, 07:46 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: p.s. Since the money is being returned to the province perhaps someone can suggest to Premier Wynne that certain LRT is ready to go to phase II.

Metrolinx has two infrastructure funding pools, one for the GTA and another for beyond it. Brampton is in the former while we are in the latter.
Anyone been by Benton/Charles today? Hopefully all that hard work doing the temporary precision alignment of the track hasn't been washed away with the torrential downpour.

(10-28-2015, 09:56 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Can they reroute it to Bramalea station instead?

There's a long term Big Move Steeles line between Halton and Toronto/York. It's likely to be be BRT because of length and that most of that area is not slated to be intensified since it's mostly healthy industrial land in Halton/Peel/West Toronto.

Also, you'd need to do the entire TPAP process all over again for Main to Bramalea.
Public meetings for Cambridge LRT coming in November!

Quote:LRT to Cambridge? Public meetings planned for extension south from Kitchener

egion of Waterloo staff have been toiling away on an environmental assessment study to complete the light rail route from Kitchener to Cambridge.

In November, two public consultation meetings are planned to get feedback on proposed route options and initial plans.

Coun. Tom Galloway, who chairs the rapid transit committee, said the region wants to complete the study in case new provincial and federal funding becomes available.

"We're fulfilling that commitment to try to advance and get things in order," Galloway said. "If another infrastructure (fund) comes along from the federal government, provincial government, maybe we'll be in a place to take advantage of it."

A business case will be completed once the design and alignment are finalized....

[Mayor] Craig is hoping the route will be altered from Cambridge to Kitchener that was contemplated in 2011 and currently hosts express buses.

He said putting trains on the section of the route travelling down Water Street, past Galt Collegiate Institute and under the bridge, will cause traffic management problems.

"There's some concerns there," he said. "I think we have to look at a new route and the public consultation may help map that out in a better way."
(10-28-2015, 12:48 PM)Canard Wrote: Anyone been by Benton/Charles today?  Hopefully all that hard work doing the temporary precision alignment of the track hasn't been washed away with the torrential downpour.

It looks fine.  Rebar being welded today.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great shots, thanks Tom! Those metal plates on the sides are the concrete forms.
(10-29-2015, 02:03 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Public meetings for Cambridge LRT coming in November!

Quote:LRT to Cambridge? Public meetings planned for extension south from Kitchener

[Mayor]  Craig is hoping the route will be altered from Cambridge to Kitchener that was contemplated in 2011 and currently hosts express buses.

He said putting trains on the section of the route travelling down Water Street, past Galt Collegiate Institute and under the bridge, will cause traffic management problems.

"There's some concerns there," he said. "I think we have to look at a new route and the public consultation may help map that out in a better way."

Wait a second.
Where the heck is Craig suggesting the LRT run instead? There are no obvious alternate routes down there. I imagine his concern is to maintain 4 general purpose traffic lanes through there.
Craig is out to lunch. Has been for years. I am hoping this is his last term. Also hoping we don't make the same mistake Brampton just historically made.

LOL, can you imagine. It stops at the Delta or something. Amazeballs. I wouldn't put it past him.

I personally have always thought a route through downtown Preston and then continuing along Coronation with a stop at the hospital would connect more people and be a better route - if only because it "feels" more like the kind of route to me that Light Rail is suited for. 24 just seems like a mistake to me.
LRT through the Delta is going to be a big adjustment for drivers. They could follow the heavy rail corridor to Samuelson (and dare I hope a new GO station one day?), but then they'd have to run down the former Grand River Railway right of way to get to Ainslie. Moving or altering the path that's taken its place is going to be a hard sell.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »