Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
[quote pid='74942' dateline='1573693655']
Thank you for the info and link.  Of course now Traze app is broken Sad Broken, I mean it still has no data for ION and all other GRT buses shows 0 for the delays.
[/quote]

I recommend the Transit App. There is nothing better, IMO.

(11-14-2019, 12:58 PM)Acitta Wrote: [quote pid='74942' dateline='1573693655']
Thank you for the info and link.  Of course now Traze app is broken Sad Broken, I mean it still has no data for ION and all other GRT buses shows 0 for the delays.

[/quote]

+1 on this. Transit is the best transit app available and works anywhere.
The entirety of GRT realtime seems to be down today.
(11-14-2019, 12:58 PM)Acitta Wrote: [quote pid='74942' dateline='1573693655']

[/quote]

Thank you, does it have a desktop version?
No desktop version, no. I think there are ways you can run a virtual Android session on a PC, and it should work in that, but that's above my technical ability.
(11-14-2019, 07:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: No desktop version, no. I think there are ways you can run a virtual Android session on a PC, and it should work in that, but that's above my technical ability.

Thank you, downloaded the app on my phone.
When I'm on a [desk|lap]top, Google Maps is my planning tool of choice.

ION is real time now!
I saw a couple of these signs between the tracks near Columbia Street. I was curious about their meaning, but Google tells me nothing.

[Image: v32nci8.jpg]
(11-18-2019, 03:01 PM)timc Wrote: I saw a couple of these signs between the tracks near Columbia Street. I was curious about their meaning, but Google tells me nothing.

I can only think of two things: Only single line (so no crossover) until past the next transfer point. Or down slop up ahead. I'm going with the single line though.
(11-18-2019, 07:35 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:01 PM)timc Wrote: I saw a couple of these signs between the tracks near Columbia Street. I was curious about their meaning, but Google tells me nothing.

I can only think of two things: Only single line (so no crossover) until past the next transfer point. Or down slop up ahead. I'm going with the single line though.

Isn’t that always true? I mean, there is never any crossing over until the next crossover. I think I’ve misunderstood you.

My guess is that the chevrons indicate direction — up or down the line. I haven’t seen any except in photos however, so I can’t tell if the way they are installed is consistent with this meaning so this is pure speculation. If it is verified that trains travelling from Conestoga to Fairway will always see one direction of chevron and trains in the other direction will always see the other direction, then I would upgrade this to working hypothesis (at that point it would be proven that they do indicate direction in that way at present, but it would still not be proven that that is the actual reason for their installation nor would it be proven that future installations would continue the pattern).
(11-18-2019, 10:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 07:35 PM)jeffster Wrote: I can only think of two things: Only single line (so no crossover) until past the next transfer point. Or down slop up ahead. I'm going with the single line though.

Isn’t that always true? I mean, there is never any crossing over until the next crossover. I think I’ve misunderstood you.

My guess is that the chevrons indicate direction — up or down the line. I haven’t seen any except in photos however, so I can’t tell if the way they are installed is consistent with this meaning so this is pure speculation. If it is verified that trains travelling from Conestoga to Fairway will always see one direction of chevron and trains in the other direction will always see the other direction, then I would upgrade this to working hypothesis (at that point it would be proven that they do indicate direction in that way at present, but it would still not be proven that that is the actual reason for their installation nor would it be proven that future installations would continue the pattern).

Perhaps it's meant as directional only? As in, you can only stay in the right track?

As you said, speculation.

I do have an associate that conducts an LRV, I'll try to reach out to him.

I spoke with the driver and he's going to find out, he actually doesn't recall seeing it, so I am wondering if it's for service workers.
(11-12-2019, 12:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 02:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: It appears we've had our first LRT-bike collision. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/bike-and-lr...76505#_gus

Am I correct in understanding that the cyclist is to be charged?

“A cyclist is now facing a charge of careless driving in connection with a collision involving an ION in Kitchener.”

Careless driving is a much more serious charge than drivers typically face for this sort of thing. And just a reminder the driver who killed Robert Linsley had that charge dropped because it was a bit dark on King St.
(11-19-2019, 12:40 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Careless driving is a much more serious charge than drivers typically face for this sort of thing. And just a reminder the driver who killed Robert Linsley had that charge dropped because it was a bit dark on King St.

Pulling out onto the street (and in front of the train) without looking really fits careless driving to a tee. If car drivers doing the same don't get charged with careless driving, they should.

Quote:Careless driving
130 (1) Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »