Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-07-2019, 09:47 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 09:23 PM)jeffster Wrote: Well, if the train was damaged, you'd think it would go northbound and not south.

Either way, they need to figure a way to get the trains running on a regular basis.

I was thinking that, but maybe it went south to the crossover at Cameron Heights and then back, rather than reverse-running to Green St.

I guess that would make sense, though I did think there was a crossover somewhere else, but maybe I'm wrong.

Public transit investment spurs renewal in downtown core
(09-10-2019, 08:11 PM)Acitta Wrote: Public transit investment spurs renewal in downtown core

Nice! I wonder if that included "nee" Sixo..
I was driving on Charles and was going to make a right onto Queen St... I didn't turn as I knew there was an LRT behind me (I had past it). I had looked at the "No Right" train sign, which is a little far to the left. When I was thinking of making the right, I couldn't even see the No Right train sign. My opinion is that it should be on the set of light facing the drivers moving east/southbound on Charles, on the platform side. Visibility was poor as the sun is already lighting it up, but the placement needs improving.
While not related to ION, the Ottawa Confederation Line of the O Train opened up today. It's certainly impressive. 3 of the stations are underground, the trains are running in pairs and hold a lot of people and it runs a lot faster - capable of 80km/h while the ION crawls along at 20km/h along much of the route. The benefits of being completely grade separated I suppose. Granted, Ottawa is a lot bigger and put a lot more money into their project resulting in a grander scale.
(09-14-2019, 07:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: While not related to ION, the Ottawa Confederation Line of the O Train opened up today. It's certainly impressive. 3 of the stations are underground, the trains are running in pairs and hold a lot of people and it runs a lot faster - capable of 80km/h while the ION crawls along at 20km/h along much of the route. The benefits of being completely grade separated I suppose. Granted, Ottawa is a lot bigger and put a lot more money into their project resulting in a grander scale.

$2.1B, so more than double Ion for a shorter (for now) line.
That one has its own thread: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...hp?tid=589

Thanks! I was sure I saw one here but somehow missed it when looking.
(09-14-2019, 09:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 07:49 PM)ac3r Wrote: While not related to ION, the Ottawa Confederation Line of the O Train opened up today. It's certainly impressive. 3 of the stations are underground, the trains are running in pairs and hold a lot of people and it runs a lot faster - capable of 80km/h while the ION crawls along at 20km/h along much of the route. The benefits of being completely grade separated I suppose. Granted, Ottawa is a lot bigger and put a lot more money into their project resulting in a grander scale.

$2.1B, so more than double Ion for a shorter (for now) line.

Ottawa built palaces for LRT stations ... increased costs for access and egress, these items have been associated with the high TTC build costs.
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(09-15-2019, 06:59 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 09:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote: $2.1B, so more than double Ion for a shorter (for now) line.

Ottawa built palaces for LRT stations ... increased costs for access and egress, these items have been associated with the high TTC build costs.

This is something to note for folks who believed our system should have been grade separated. It has huge financial costs. But it also has costs for the users, because it takes time go up and down an escalator or elevator, and walk around to an entrance (sadly we still have that problem despite not having a good justification for it).
Pickup truck, Ion train collide in Kitchener
(09-16-2019, 05:59 PM)Acitta Wrote: Pickup truck, Ion train collide in Kitchener

Yeah, I noticed some bunching at 5pm around UW northbound and the southbound interval was 20+ minutes.

That headline kind of shares the blame between the truck and the Ion. That's not quite right.
There is no blame in the verb "to collide".

(09-16-2019, 09:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There is no blame in the verb "to collide".

OK, fine. The headline did not blame the collision on the truck driver. It's hard for me to imagine how the truck driver is not at fault.
There are 4 underground stations for Ottawa system.

After riding a number of systems this year, there needs to be a number of changes for the ION system that go back to opening day. Gates are too slow for lowering and raising at a number of locations. If one looks at RR gates, they are faster than the slow ones. Even Minneapolis Blue line are faster and they use 3 car trains every 10 minutes.

Most of the Green Line line have no gates and they run faster on the street in 3 cars sets every 10 minute than the ION. In a lot of areas, they have chain between the tracks to stop people crossing mid block, but can get over them easy.

All on street lines will see accidents or someone kill cause by not thinking. I watch a truck back into another coming out of a driveway that end up blocking the streetcar line in Cincinnati as we were about to leave the city. Their line see a 66' car every 15 minute, but normal its more cause by traffic.
https://youtu.be/75UQLXEw1N0
https://youtu.be/sGZZ1ftieLQ
https://youtu.be/kmeO5TouJss
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »