Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
21 Weber St W + 149-151 Ontario St N | 20 fl | Proposed
Here is a link from the Kitchener Post that works if you're not a subscriber. 

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...-building/

The header for this thread incorrectly gives the address as 21 Weber ST E.  It is actually 21 Weber ST W.  Also, ignore the address given in the article.  They give the address as Weber ST N.  (Weber ST N would be in Waterloo.) Sheesh.  No wonder people have difficulties with street directions in KW.

(05-03-2019, 07:53 AM)jgsz Wrote: Here is a link from the Kitchener Post that works if you're not a subscriber. 

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...-building/

The header for this thread incorrectly gives the address as 21 Weber ST E.  It is actually 21 Weber ST W.  Also, ignore the address given in the article.  They give the address as Weber ST N.  (Weber ST N would be in Waterloo.) Sheesh.  No wonder people have difficulties with street directions in KW.

Weber Street has always amused me in that it only - ever so vaguely - corresponds to the actual direction of the street - the East section pointing South East. Where the West, North and South are just absolute nonsense because they go the same way but within just a few kilometers turn from East to West, then South and finally North. The streets in KW are like a bowl of spaghetti someone tried to name.

Anyway, I know one of the architects who is working on this. Expect some changes to the design. I've seen a few more details (which I can't upload, but I'll see if I may) and it's not a bad building for being by a fairly unknown developer. It'll look more interesting in person than you see in these V-Ray renders.
I hope they dont change it too much, I like it !
(05-03-2019, 07:53 AM)jgsz Wrote: The header for this thread incorrectly gives the address as 21 Weber ST E.  It is actually 21 Weber ST W.  Also, ignore the address given in the article.  They give the address as Weber ST N.  (Weber ST N would be in Waterloo.) Sheesh.  No wonder people have difficulties with street directions in KW.

That's fixed now.
The newer renders are a huge improvement over the first.
(05-02-2019, 10:09 AM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 09:58 AM)Acitta Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/933...-building/

Here are the images from the Record article:

It looks like the RBC building has been removed and replaced with a treed park.

It really is an ugly proposal ... the glass "boil" on the Weber/Ontario side needs to be lanced and removed.
(05-04-2019, 10:42 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 10:09 AM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: Here are the images from the Record article:

It looks like the RBC building has been removed and replaced with a treed park.

It really is an ugly proposal ... the glass "boil" on the Weber/Ontario side needs to be lanced and removed.

It seemed to me that the second render showed an effort to remedy that.

What about the proposal to include no parking on this site? Are there parking spots nearby for rent should owners need to park a car? Similarly, for visitor parking or deliveries?

One benefit of not needing parking is no need to excavate (much) before construction can start.
There is a rather large parking garage at Duke and Ontario. Smile

They will likely have some small amount of visitor parking.
I'd like to see the Weber street side of the tower get some improvements
CTV has a story on this building, https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/proposed-ki...-1.4556487 . As expected the Facebook comments are terrible, with hundreds of people commenting that this should be illegal. Many think two spots per unit should be the minimum.
(08-20-2019, 11:45 AM)taylortbb Wrote: CTV has a story on this building, https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/proposed-ki...-1.4556487 . As expected the Facebook comments are terrible, with hundreds of people commenting that this should be illegal. Many think two spots per unit should be the minimum.
It is real simple people, if you don't like it, don't buy it....  move along !!
(08-20-2019, 12:23 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 11:45 AM)taylortbb Wrote: CTV has a story on this building, https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/proposed-ki...-1.4556487 . As expected the Facebook comments are terrible, with hundreds of people commenting that this should be illegal. Many think two spots per unit should be the minimum.
It is real simple people, if you don't like it, don't buy it....  move along !!

You would think it's that simple, but a number of people in the comments have proposed suing the developer for discrimination. Because they're "discriminating" against car owners.

I have yet to understand why people feel so strongly about how other people live.

(08-20-2019, 02:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 12:23 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It is real simple people, if you don't like it, don't buy it....  move along !!

You would think it's that simple, but a number of people in the comments have proposed suing the developer for discrimination. Because they're "discriminating" against car owners.

I have yet to understand why people feel so strongly about how other people live.
Good luck with that,  let me know how it turns out.....Do they know they would have to retain a law firm and put money where their mouth is.....

I think the owner should appease them with 6 parking spots for car share programs only !!

Does this mean the proposal is moving forward in the approval process?  I'm sceptical about this one, but I've been wrong more than I've been right about downtown projects this last couple of years (hooray!).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »