Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Federal Election
To anyone interested, the Green Party nominee for Kitchener Centre is hosting a campaign launch party this coming Thursday from 7-9PM at Catalyst137:

https://morrice2019.ca

Of note is that both Mike Schreiner (Green Party leader in Ontario) and Elizabeth May (Green Party of Canada Leader) will both be speaking and in attendance.

I just completed the Vote Compass on the CBC site.  

The Vote Compass showed this about my answers:

[Image: 9af45b1e5b2e40c9bc309ae3c61546f7-party-g...9496667271]
Green Party of Canada (GP)

83%

[Image: ef5571631c004e1f92e104c65d09c525-party-n...9496667272]
New Democratic Party of Canada (NDP)

77%

[Image: 14c28cb3ef524b8e9ca4d2cc337cafde-party-l...9496667272]
Liberal Party of Canada (LPC)

60%

[Image: c9964412d7a5477b81e1c4fc7f8eaf04-party-c...9496667272]
Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)

30%

[Image: 965c8221ef2c45deb722c3b0a7ec2860-party-p...9496667273]
People's Party of Canada (PPC)
Did not participate

------------------------------------------------

By the way, I am an environmentalist but I have never voted Green.  And I'm not likely to vote Green in this election either.
I'm in Kitchener Centre and will likely be voting Green. I'd spoil my ballot before I'd vote for Woodworth, and things would have to be pretty dire for me to vote strategically for Saini.
Things ARE pretty dire, no?
Probably not (from his perspective). 338 Canada, for instance, evaluates Kitchener Centre as "Likely Liberal." The latest polls show the NDP and Green parties at 12% and 10% respectively in Ontario, and usually the Greens' real result is less than they poll. The Tories probably won't be winning in Kitchener.
(09-26-2019, 07:32 AM)jgsz Wrote: I just completed the Vote Compass on the CBC site.  

The Vote Compass showed this about my answers:

[Image: 9af45b1e5b2e40c9bc309ae3c61546f7-party-g...9496667271]
Green Party of Canada (GP)

83%

[Image: ef5571631c004e1f92e104c65d09c525-party-n...9496667272]
New Democratic Party of Canada (NDP)

77%

[Image: 14c28cb3ef524b8e9ca4d2cc337cafde-party-l...9496667272]
Liberal Party of Canada (LPC)

60%

[Image: c9964412d7a5477b81e1c4fc7f8eaf04-party-c...9496667272]
Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)

30%

[Image: 965c8221ef2c45deb722c3b0a7ec2860-party-p...9496667273]
People's Party of Canada (PPC)
Did not participate

------------------------------------------------

By the way, I am an environmentalist but I have never voted Green.  And I'm not likely to vote Green in this election either.

I got 49% CPC, 49% Green, 48% NDP and 48% Liberal. This explains why I don't like any of the parties...lol....
(09-26-2019, 09:48 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Probably not (from his perspective). 338 Canada, for instance, evaluates Kitchener Centre as "Likely Liberal." The latest polls show the NDP and Green parties at 12% and 10% respectively in Ontario, and usually the Greens' real result is less than they poll. The Tories probably won't be winning in Kitchener.

I think 338's result is based on historical voting data plus national trends, not considering any local issues or candidates.

Hopefully the Record (or someone else) will run some local riding polls yet.

(09-26-2019, 08:18 AM)jamincan Wrote: I'm in Kitchener Centre and will likely be voting Green. I'd spoil my ballot before I'd vote for Woodworth, and things would have to be pretty dire for me to vote strategically for Saini.

The Greens could win in Kitchener Centre.  I've never seen so many Green lawn signs before.  And what happens if they win?  Based on the most recent Poll Tracker, the Green Party is on track to win between one and eight seats in Canada.  If Kitchener Centre is one of those seats, the riding would lose it's voice in parliament.  (Third and fourth parties in parliament rarely get a chance to ask a question.)   But if the Greens are needed to shore up the Liberals in a minority parliament, Kitchener's voice could be louder than it is today.  The same would be true if the NDP was part of a coalition.  

On the other hand, doctored images by the Green Party will not help.
tomh009 Wrote:
Quote:I think 338's result is based on historical voting data plus national trends, not considering any local issues or candidates.

Hopefully the Record (or someone else) will run some local riding polls yet.

They're based on both national and regional polling, historical results, and also demographic information. They do take into account local candidates, whether there is a star candidate with an unusually high profile, and whether the candidates tend to under- or over-perform their parties. We've got at least three candidates who have run in the riding in the past, and the two front-runners have at least four elections between them, so that might be meaningful.

Riding polls would be nice. I could see a real pollster conceivably including Cambridge before the election.
(09-27-2019, 07:04 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 08:18 AM)jamincan Wrote: I'm in Kitchener Centre and will likely be voting Green. I'd spoil my ballot before I'd vote for Woodworth, and things would have to be pretty dire for me to vote strategically for Saini.

The Greens could win in Kitchener Centre.  I've never seen so many Green lawn signs before.  And what happens if they win?  Based on the most recent Poll Tracker, the Green Party is on track to win between one and eight seats in Canada.  If Kitchener Centre is one of those seats, the riding would lose it's voice in parliament.  (Third and fourth parties in parliament rarely get a chance to ask a question.)   But if the Greens are needed to shore up the Liberals in a minority parliament, Kitchener's voice could be louder than it is today.  The same would be true if the NDP was part of a coalition.  

On the other hand, doctored images by the Green Party will not help.

Ouch.

The doctored image is much bigger of a deal than the cup ever would have been.
(09-27-2019, 09:36 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 07:04 AM)jgsz Wrote: On the other hand, doctored images by the Green Party will not help.

Ouch.

The doctored image is much bigger of a deal than the cup ever would have been.

Yes. It would even have been better to just crop the cup out of the photo altogether.
The disposable cup was compostable, as opposed to the vast majority of disposable cups.

That being said, the party has owned up to the modification stating they were looking to put a GPC branded cup in the hands of the leader. Whatever the case, it's really a non-issue.
(09-29-2019, 11:01 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: The disposable cup was compostable, as opposed to the vast majority of disposable cups.

That being said, the party has owned up to the modification stating they were looking to put a GPC branded cup in the hands of the leader. Whatever the case, it's really a non-issue.
It is not a non-issue because people are talking about it.    I do agree though that isn't what we should be talking about   The discussion should be more about her platform which is not attainable nor affordable.

(09-29-2019, 11:01 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: The disposable cup was compostable, as opposed to the vast majority of disposable cups.

It is an issue otherwise it would not have made news, let alone international news. Compostable cup or not, it's still waste. And good chance it actually doesn't get composted.

But that's not the issue; the issue is that the photo was doctored to change the appearance. Had this been the NDP, Liberal or Conservatives it wouldn't make headlines. But this is the Green Party, therefor, it is showing people that they (not referring to the leader herself), the ones running the party itself, are really no different than the other parties.
(09-29-2019, 02:07 PM)jeffster Wrote: But that's not the issue; the issue is that the photo was doctored to change the appearance. Had this been the NDP, Liberal or Conservatives it wouldn't make headlines. But this is the Green Party, therefor, it is showing people that they (not referring to the leader herself), the ones running the party itself, are really no different than the other parties.

Right, when they noticed something potentially embarrassing, they tried to cover it up, rather than explaining it. I can think of at least 2 better approaches they might have used:

1) Everybody will sometimes slip up; changing habits is difficult, even for those who are trying to lead

2) It was a compostable cup; let’s try to switch our single-use items to compostable and ensure that composting facilities are available everywhere

Incidentally, does anyone know how this came out? I mean, did they publish it without doctoring, then modify it and publish it again? Or something else?

Somebody else observed that even if compostable, it’s still waste. There actually is a significant problem with that framing. Re-usable items require cleaning, and while that doesn’t generate much in the way of output (just a small amount of water down the drain, combined with an infinitesimal amount of soap that needs to be handled by sewage treatment), it does use quite a bit of energy to wash. Also manufacturing of re-usable items requires a huge amount of energy and materials compared to typical single-use items. As a result, it is not actually possible for random individuals to easily determine which is the lower-impact approach: it requires a detailed study. This in turn is why strategies like a carbon tax (and other Pigovian taxes) are better than detailed regulations about exactly how everything must be done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »