Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Waterloo Transit & Ring Road
Several display boards have been in the DC lobby for a couple weeks now, detailing an effort to reconstruct and relocate the various bus stops around campus.  This includes improved seating, and larger, higher quality shelters.

I took some photos:

Some new locations.  Stops 3 and 6 have moved. The current Village 1 (& Fed Hall) stop is conspicuously absent. It probably still exists, but will not be getting the rebuild treatment.
[Image: 10666037_10100988828867047_5826919161331...5c70be3ed9]

Location 1, SCH stop moved and... it looks like the lane up to the Co-op building is pedestrianized?
[Image: 10635836_10100988828882017_3001374494969...ddffeab6cb]

Location 3, Student Life Centre.  Finally!  Putting the bus stop at the SLC should have been done eons ago.
[Image: 10612825_10100988828872037_3089348646325...27d9b37b71]

Location 5, the Davis Centre. They're paving over a lot of the existing muddy green, finally giving enough space for everyone waiting for buses to stand.  Arguably, this will be under-utilized once the LRT station opens across Ring Road, but I'm not going to look a gift-quad in the mouth.
[Image: 10650020_10100988828877027_7105476264603...ef6c777301]

Location 6, a relocation of the southbound SCH stop to CPH.
[Image: 10450786_10100988828887007_9198672551271...cbbd8f7fb1]

I believe this was simply an exercise from the School of Architecture. To my knowledge, there are no plans nor funds to actually carry out the work.
The display boards are shockingly high quality for that!

Well, as it ties into the known desire to strengthen the gateways into campus, there's always hope.
As mentioned in the ION thread, East Ring Road is about to have an overhaul.
From the Daily Bulletin
https://uwaterloo.ca/daily-bulletin/2015...t-underway
Quote:Ring Road construction project underway

The eastern side of the Ring Road is going to look a little different by the time October rolls around.

Beginning this week is a construction project that involves the elimination of a portion of the sidewalk on the Ring Road's east side, the construction of five new pedestrian crossings, the relocation of a bus stop and the construction of a fence.

The existing sidewalk and asphalt path on the east side of the ring road from Carl Pollock Hall in the south to the pathway to Columbia Street on the north side across from the Commissary will be removed.

Five pedestrian-priority Ring Road crossings are also going to be built across the Ring Road, spaced as follows:
  •    Carl Pollock Hall at University Avenue;
  •    Carl Pollock Hall across from the University Shops Plaza;
  •    Engineering 3 across from Engineering 5;
  •    the Engineering road across from the front steps of Engineering 5; and
  •    the Mathematics road across from Parking Lot B service road and the East Campus buildings.

The intent is to create defined crossing areas that align with passages through future rail line fencing (being installed by GrandLinq) where pedestrians have the right of way.

These pedestrian priority crossings will feature speed bumps and signage indicating that pedestrians have the right of way and that drivers should stop for them. The crossings will be accessible, with the curb sloping to meet the road surface, and will feature metal plates for the visually impaired.

A barrier that includes a fence and planters will be constructed just off the curb at the Ring Road on the east side intended to discourage unsafe mid-block LRT track crossings.

In addition, the GRT bus stop on the east side of the Ring Road at the Parking Lot B road entrance will be removed and the passenger shelter relocated to the western side of the Ring Road near Needles Hall. All buses will now disgorge passengers on the Ring Road's interior. The new bus stop will be operational by Tuesday, September 7. Two parking spots in front of Needles Hall will be eliminated in order to fit the shelter at the existing bus stop.

Plant Operations estimates that the pedestrian improvements will be completed by the end of October, weather permitting. Every effort will be made to keep crossings open while the construction takes place, though pedestrians may have to detour around the sites as they cross the Ring Road.

Eventually, powered gates will be installed at each pedestrian crossing of the ION tracks to ensure safety.

The existing Laurel Trail will remain adjacent to the rail line, but will be slightly realigned.
East Ring Road was fully reconstructed back in 2007.

It's a bit irritating that they're getting rid of the sidewalk on the east side of the road, particularly since the Laurel Trail is out of commission.
Could someone more familiar with the buildings and general layout of the University post a map with some indicators on what is being done?
(08-20-2015, 06:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Could someone more familiar with the buildings and general layout of the University post a map with some indicators on what is being done?

Voila:

Blue: ION track
Green: ION Station
Pink: iXpress stops as of Sept 7
Purple: Removed iXpress stops
Red: New road/rail crossings within UW

[Image: zPjOgsE.jpg]
Thanks for creating this!

Unfortunately this is probably the last real chance UW had at integrating the campus (regridding) more into the community and improve, "walkability, connectivity, campus experience, and safety."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Is it not integrated?
(08-23-2015, 08:10 AM)Canard Wrote: Is it not integrated?

I don't consider it integrated; it has decent, and improving transit connections, but it is completely inward facing and insular in its current form. It was built on farmland in a suburban form with a focus on cars and despite a recent huge growth spurt of new buildings has not changed to reflect the growing urbanization that is sprouting up on all sides to interact with the community within it exists. Even building on some of the perimeter parking lots so they are street facing will make the whole campus more welcoming and a part of the community; at the moment it often feels like a gated community or select club - not a public institution. The ring road is very limiting and adds a lot of time to transit trips through the campus.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I think the master plan shows the parking lots between the Ring Road and Columbia/University eventually being built on.

Honestly, I can only see the proposal making the situation less attractive to pedestrians. Right now, Ring Road isn't attractive at all for people wishing to get from University to Columbia or vice versa by car. The proposal would change that and therefore introduce many more opportunities for vehicle/pedestrian interactions and therefore accidents as well. Improvements like the speed bumps work and the university is introducing more of them.
I understand pedestrian-friendly, but what pedestrians are we talking about? Students are primarily pedestrians, staff/faculty also switch to pedestrian mode once they reach campus. But people not associated with the university are realistically not going to be making many trips to (or through) the campus. It's not in the downtown core, it's surrounded by a combination of student housing, low-density residential and now a technology park, none of which is going to generate much non-university-associated pedestrian traffic.
(08-24-2015, 07:24 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think the master plan shows the parking lots between the Ring Road and Columbia/University eventually being built on.

Honestly, I can only see the proposal making the situation less attractive to pedestrians. Right now, Ring Road isn't attractive at all for people wishing to get from University to Columbia or vice versa by car. The proposal would change that and therefore introduce many more opportunities for vehicle/pedestrian interactions and therefore accidents as well. Improvements like the speed bumps work and the university is introducing more of them.

Agreed. I'll occasionally drive between Columbia/University on the ring road to see what changes have happened on campus but its a really slow route and not one many people would take even though the stretch between Westmount and Philip street is relatively long.

The regridded map has a connection from Columbia that goes through the campus and connects to Seagram drive. I think that would be mighty tempting for anyone trying to for from North/West of the campus to South/East.

I personally find the drive around the Ring Road very pleasant; I sometimes go the West side, so I can look at the Psychology Building (one of my favourite examples of Brutalist Architecture in the Region) or the Quantum Computing Centre; sometimes I'll take the East side, so I can see the Davis Centre (again, one of my favourite buildings of all time), or see where the ion construction is at.
(08-24-2015, 09:12 AM)SammyOES Wrote: The regridded map has a connection from Columbia that goes through the campus and connects to Seagram drive.  I think that would be mighty tempting for anyone trying to for from North/West of the campus to South/East.

A grid of streets is much more important for walking and biking in this context than it is for driving. It's possible to put in barriers that make through car traffic impossible, or barriers that only allow, say, UW vehicles or buses through.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »