Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Wish List 2019
(12-20-2018, 01:37 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 12:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Re #3, can we add Moroccan to that list?

Of course.  It’s a wish list.  By the way,  Casbah sells Moroccan food at the Kitchener market.  A couple of vendors sell some Hungarian deli and baked goods.

I do believe Casbah does catering as well. They originally had a small restaurant in their shop, but that has now been closed for many years.

(12-20-2018, 10:30 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: 1. A significant affordable housing project with a large number of units, good proximity to transit
2. Excellent first year for ION - high ridership, no accidents, just good things
3. A real plan for clear sidewalks
4. No cyclist or pedestrian deaths from motor vehicles. Since that won't happen, some commitment to vision zero or at least acknowledgment that the problem starts with designs

I like Rob's list. Not only are these good things, they are achievable, too.
So in an interesting turn of events, I'll be on 570 News at 1pm talking about the Wish List
For protected to mean protected when it comes to facilities for any vulnerable road user.
For neighbourhoods wanting traffic calming to embrace trail priority speed tables for the Spur Line, Iron Horse, and other trail or school route crossings.
For us to realize that nodes and corridors development isn't appropriate when "single family" and "1- or 2-storey" zoning limits apply everywhere else.
For us to realize that heritage, neighbourhood character, and stable are not reasons to prevent change.
For us to realize that all types of affordable housing are important and need attention, and that segregating people by income is no kind of way to act.
For us to realize that housing the homeless is cheaper than any other course of action.
For us to realize that to bring balance to housing and transportation choices, by simple math, we must disproportionately increase our focus on underserved options when compared to overserved ones.
(12-21-2018, 12:21 PM)Spokes Wrote: So in an interesting turn of events, I'll be on 570 News at 1pm talking about the Wish List

You did great! It was a really good conversation.
Thank you! I'd be lying if I said my heart wasn't racing
(12-21-2018, 12:21 PM)Spokes Wrote: So in an interesting turn of events, I'll be on 570 News at 1pm talking about the Wish List

How did that come about?

(12-21-2018, 12:46 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: For us to realize that nodes and corridors development isn't appropriate when "single family" and "1- or 2-storey" zoning limits apply everywhere else.

I like this list. Would you be able to expand on this one a bit? I’m not sure if you’re saying that development should be increased more evenly (between the nodes and corridors) or if some nodes and corridors shouldn’t increase as much as planned, or something else.
(12-21-2018, 06:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

How did that come about?

Brian Bourke saw the wish list and liked the idea and reached out. It all came together fairly quickly
Awesome job, man!!
Thank you so much!

For those that want to listen it's at the 44 minute mark here:
https://www.570news.com/2018/12/21/frida...st-2018-2/
(12-22-2018, 07:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thank you so much!

For those that want to listen it's at the 44 minute mark here:
https://www.570news.com/audio/kitchener-...an-bourke/

Very good, Justin.  I was going to ask if there was a link to the show and you beat me to it.
We might do a follow up in the new year once everyone's submitted their lists

So keep them coming!

I just heard the broadcast and was impressed with Justin's articulation. Thanks for being a good spokesperson.
(12-23-2018, 07:56 AM)kitborn Wrote: I just heard the broadcast and was impressed with Justin's articulation. Thanks for being a good spokesperson.

Yes, a good "Spokes"person indeed Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »