Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRDSB
I would guess that the 28 number could change in the future.

The bigger issue is the need to redraw the boundary map. That alone could really help things.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm curious to know details.
On the boundary map?

The WRDSB (secondary at least) map of who goes to what school hasn't been redrawn in years. So as new neighbourhoods pop up and explode some schools get filled faster than others. By shifting the boundaries of who goes to what school you can alter the population of those schools. That being said, there are politics with that. Parents move into a neighbourhood expecting a certain school, and then maybe that changes.

Cambridge is a prime example, five schools, all no where close to capacity. The map doesn't even make sense. GCI draws from areas directly around it, but also over in Clemens Mills too when it's closer to other schools.
I didn't know that the high school boundary map hasn't shifted. That should be updated for sure before the huge expense of a new school is considered.
I do still think a new school is needed, but so too is redrawing the map
There is currently a boundary study being done for Southwest Kitchener secondary schools to try to alleviate the crowding at Huron Heights. It's just focusing on the boundaries for Huron Heights, Forest Heights and Cameron right now. https://www.wrdsb.ca/planning/southwest-...ary-study/
It needs to be done board wide

School boards are often hesitant to start boundary reviews, much less make major changes through them, because of the outcry from parents of affected children.
Oh the outcry is massive. Thats the whole reason they're as wonky as they are
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »