Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Groceries in Downtown
Downtown needs a supermarket.

I've lived downtown for some years and I find it's the one thing I miss most. Yes, I'm aware that I can get fresh produce and ramen at New City, veg at the market, bread at various places around, and canned soup, eggs and milk at shoppers. The reality is though, that it's more trips to different places than I'm willing to make. Also, for people with non-standard work hours, getting to the Market or Shoppers or New City before they close is kind of a pain.

Yes we have Central Fresh Market, but I don't consider that downtown. I'm temporally closer to the Highland Hills Superstore where I can get everything in one trip on the bus than I am to Central, and the prices are better too.

It will come, eventually. I've heard that the parking lot on King St between Francis and Water is one possible location. I could see an urban supermarket incorporated into the Fusion development as well, although folks working in the west end of Downtown might consider that a bit inconvenient. If I were to speculate on when we might see it, I'd say that a year from now is very unlikely, but five years from now is virtually certain.
I completely agree! Downtown needs a grocery store. When I lived downtown before I'd go to Stanley Park Zehrs for groceries. I'll be moving back downtown again in the foreseeable future and I'd like to have something within walking distance.
Panamaniac mentioned the Fusion homes project as a potential location for one, I've heard that too. Natural fit.

I think the more likely location is somewhere in the west end of downtown though. Many more residents than in the East that would support such a venture.
Spokes Wrote:Panamaniac mentioned the Fusion homes project as a potential location for one, I've heard that too. Natural fit.

I think the more likely location is somewhere in the west end of downtown though. Many more residents than in the East that would support such a venture.
Can we have both? I think both are viable, as long as they are urban format stores and not mega-ultra-supermarkets with massive parking lots.
mpd618 Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:Panamaniac mentioned the Fusion homes project as a potential location for one, I've heard that too. Natural fit.

Can we have both? I think both are viable, as long as they are urban format stores and not mega-ultra-supermarkets with massive parking lots.

Of course we can! And I think you're right, both locations would definitely be viable. Something along the lines of a Sobeys Urban Fresh would be great in the ground floor of a development.

Does anyone know though, for a grocery store to occupy the street level of a mixed use building, does the unit need to be built specifically for them, or can they just fit into a pre-made space?
Well, a grocery store would need loading docks and various back room spaces, so it might be a challenge if it weren't in a purpose-built building.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »