Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of Prohibition
Marijuana was criminalized in Canada 95 years ago.  Today it is legal.  

What could go wrong in Ontario?

Rotating postal strikes are a real possibility.  Will the government legislate workers back to work so they can deliver weed?  Oh, the irony.

Many residents may not want to buy online if they have to provide personal information.

For a good year Ontario will lose out on marijuana tourism.  That could be worth many millions of dollars.

Online ordering will not put dealers out of business.  

Regardless, prohibition was better than no marijuana at all!!   Cool

A lot of people have been buying online for the last few years and probably will continue to use the unlicensed sites if they are cheaper/higher quality... some of those sites ask for ID and others don't so those with privacy concerns can use those sites. There's still many dispensaries around, I think there was on Queen Street in DTK and last I heard Cambridge had one. I don't think Six Nations has any but I worked in Picton a lot last year and driving through the Tyendinaga Nation there are many weed stores there and I don't think that will change post-legalisation... I'm pretty sure most people in Kingston and Belleville that smoke head there, apparently they have some top-notch stuff.
I don't partake in the devil's lettuce but am for this (in fact I believe all personal poccession should be decriminalized). But the Ontario government went around this the wrong way (to no one's surprise).

As far as I'm concerned, the black market will still thrive until the government gets it's act together.
Baby steps, we'll get there.
(10-17-2018, 11:04 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: I don't partake in the devil's lettuce but am for this  (in fact I believe all personal poccession should be decriminalized). But the Ontario government went around this the wrong way (to no one's surprise).

As far as I'm concerned, the black market will still thrive until the government gets it's act together.

Similar opinion here. I think the attempt by some provinces to forbid growing for personal consumption was idiotic. I would say that the type of marijuana activity that the government most obviously has no business forbidding is personal growth for personal consumption. There is just no nexus for a legitimate social interest in banning it. It’s sufficiently outrageous that it makes me wonder if their real goal is to enrich some “bud”dies who want to get into the business by ensuring people can’t grow their own.
(10-17-2018, 03:46 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 11:04 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: I don't partake in the devil's lettuce but am for this  (in fact I believe all personal poccession should be decriminalized). But the Ontario government went around this the wrong way (to no one's surprise).

Similar opinion here. I think the attempt by some provinces to forbid growing for personal consumption was idiotic. I would say that the type of marijuana activity that the government most obviously has no business forbidding is personal growth for personal consumption. There is just no nexus for a legitimate social interest in banning it. It’s sufficiently outrageous that it makes me wonder if their real goal is to enrich some “bud”dies who want to get into the business by ensuring people can’t grow their own.

You can legally grow 3 plants at a time...
4 I thought

(10-17-2018, 04:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: 4 I thought

I am sorry, 4 is correct. 5 to 6 plants is a ticket offence, after that it is criminal cultivation.  Unless you have a medical licence.
(10-17-2018, 04:01 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 03:46 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Similar opinion here. I think the attempt by some provinces to forbid growing for personal consumption was idiotic. I would say that the type of marijuana activity that the government most obviously has no business forbidding is personal growth for personal consumption. There is just no nexus for a legitimate social interest in banning it. It’s sufficiently outrageous that it makes me wonder if their real goal is to enrich some “bud”dies who want to get into the business by ensuring people can’t grow their own.

You can legally grow 3 plants at a time...

Yes, but my understanding is some provinces wanted the law changed so they could forbid personal cultivation. The federal government wisely rejected that request. While one can always quibble about details I think the basic outline where small amounts of personal cultivation are fine but larger operations require appropriate licensing etc. is quite reasonable.
(10-17-2018, 05:12 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 04:01 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You can legally grow 3 plants at a time...

Yes, but my understanding is some provinces wanted the law changed so they could forbid personal cultivation. The federal government wisely rejected that request. While one can always quibble about details I think the basic outline where small amounts of personal cultivation are fine but larger operations require appropriate licensing etc. is quite reasonable.

https://winnipegsun.com/cannabis/cannabi...up-to-2500

The province of Manitoba has thumbed their nose at the feds and declared any home grows are strictly forbidden.
That one baffles me.

Too hard to enforce the maximum so just easier to say you can't have any?
(10-18-2018, 03:56 PM)Spokes Wrote: That one baffles me.

No, they just really hate the idea of letting people make their own decisions. A trait unfortunately shared by many of our zoning professionals.
(10-18-2018, 05:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 03:56 PM)Spokes Wrote: That one baffles me.

No, they just really hate the idea of letting people make their own decisions. A trait unfortunately shared by many of our zoning professionals.

I've definitely been noticing that one.

(10-18-2018, 09:51 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 05:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: No, they just really hate the idea of letting people make their own decisions. A trait unfortunately shared by many of our zoning professionals.

I've definitely been noticing that one.

Nudging is fine, coercing less so.
(10-19-2018, 08:08 AM)plam Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 09:51 PM)Spokes Wrote: I've definitely been noticing that one.

Nudging is fine, coercing less so.

It’s also a question of whose business it is. For example, it is my business if other people pollute my atmosphere, but it is not my business if somebody teaches piano lessons in their home or wants to build a garden shed right in the corner of their property or wants to open a store with no dedicated parking.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »