Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Results Discussion
(10-22-2018, 09:35 PM)Spokes Wrote: Anyone at all surprised by Waterloo Regional Council seats?  Jim Erb out to a big lead, and Beisan not close.  Both of those were unexpected for me.

Jim buries a lot of people  Big Grin

I'm surprised both by the low results for Beisan and that it looks like Jane may be out.

I have said that I liked all four of them in general, but I was really hoping for Beisan to get in.

A friend of mine thinks the twitter argument with Jane may have hurt her... it did for him.

(10-22-2018, 09:45 PM)Spokes Wrote: City of Waterloo results now saying:

Quote:Due to extended voting in municipalities within the Region of Waterloo, we are temporarily removing all results from our election results webpage. When all results are loaded we will refresh this page with the unofficial turnout for all electoral positions in the City of Waterloo with the exception of Regional Chair. Results including Regional Chair will be posted following close of voting in all municipalities in the Region of Waterloo or upon further direction of the Regional Clerk.

Shit show?

Same with Kitchener - removing Regional results and trying to repost site

[Image: DqKB2BaUwAA-Fvt.jpg]
I was wondering where y'all were getting results from... that's all I've seen tonight.
It looks like Kitchener Ward 9 is going to Debbie Chapman, by a fairly big margin. I'm disappointed as I think Melissa Bowman ran a good campaign and would have made a great councilor, but the people have spoken. There is always next time.
(10-22-2018, 09:51 PM)clasher Wrote: I was wondering where y'all were getting results from... that's all I've seen tonight.

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/elections/20...sults.aspx
Waterloo.ca is running live results for Waterloo... still seems painfully slow considering electronic tabulation.
If you can't get an update for Kitchener results, go away from the site and come back to it. Refreshing wasn't working, but that did. Right now 77 / 84 polls reporting.

(10-22-2018, 09:48 PM)tvot Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 09:35 PM)Spokes Wrote: Anyone at all surprised by Waterloo Regional Council seats?  Jim Erb out to a big lead, and Beisan not close.  Both of those were unexpected for me.

Jim buries a lot of people  Big Grin

I'm surprised both by the low results for Beisan and that it looks like Jane may be out.

I have said that I liked all four of them in general, but I was really hoping for Beisan to get in.

A friend of mine thinks the twitter argument with Jane may have hurt her... it did for him.

I don't live in Waterloo, but it didn't look good on her.  At all.  I know it influenced some friends opinions.

Maybe I just didn't see Erb coming.  He wasn't even on my radar.  What did I miss?
(10-22-2018, 09:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It looks like Kitchener Ward 9 is going to Debbie Chapman, by a fairly big margin. I'm disappointed as I think Melissa Bowman ran a good campaign and would have made a great councilor, but the people have spoken. There is always next time.

Yeah I agree. I never got any visits from her campaign but it seems like Bowman's people were here a few times and left pamphlets... there were a lot of Bowman's signs on my street too. I guess it was Chapman's turn though... and she doesn't seem like a bad candidate, surely better than Etherington.

Hopefully this kerfuffle with electronic voting will put an end to that sort of stuff for a while... our elections aren't that complicated and I don't see the need for it.
(10-22-2018, 10:01 PM)Spokes Wrote: I don't live in Waterloo, but it didn't look good on her.  At all.  I know it influenced some friends opinions.

Maybe I just didn't see Erb coming.  He wasn't even on my radar.  What did I miss?

Jim did a decent job on the Rogers debate, has been on city council before, and runs a business that a lot of people end up dealing with. I definitely saw quite a few signs for him on lawns in Uptown West. I think he's a way of voting for change-of-guard without really shaking anything up.

As I said earlier, I voted for Beisan, but I also voted for Jane. 

Both Jane & Sean have been fairly good over the years, but I always appreciated seeing Jane at various events and consultations, and that she makes sure to use transit. So for me it was one change candidate, and one from the old guard.
I am a bit shocked at how well the old, white, male candidates are doing this evening.

If there were ever a time for younger or non-male or non-white candidates I thought this was the time.

I think we will actually end up with fewer women and non-white elected officials than the previous term. Not very reflective of our diverse community.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-22-2018, 09:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It looks like Kitchener Ward 9 is going to Debbie Chapman, by a fairly big margin. I'm disappointed as I think Melissa Bowman ran a good campaign and would have made a great councilor, but the people have spoken. There is always next time.

i agree  and i cant vote for her  but i really liked  bowman
(10-22-2018, 10:11 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I am a bit shocked at how well the old, white, male candidates are doing this evening.

If there were ever a time for younger or non-male or non-white candidates I thought this was the time.

I think we will actually end up with fewer women and non-white elected officials than the previous term. Not very reflective of our diverse community.

Looks like Zyg Janecki's out in Kitchener Ward 8, being replaced by Margaret Johnston. At least that's one fewer old white male candidate in office.

(10-22-2018, 10:11 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I am a bit shocked at how well the old, white, male candidates are doing this evening.

Kitchener looks to have five female councillors going forward (wards 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10). I think the outgoing council had only three. Paul Singh will again, I think, be the only non-white councillor.
Waterloo.ca now shows this message:

"Due to extended voting in municipalities within the Region of Waterloo, we are temporarily removing all results from our election results webpage. When all results are loaded we will refresh this page with the unofficial turnout for all electoral positions in the City of Waterloo with the exception of Regional Chair. Results including Regional Chair will be posted following close of voting in all municipalities in the Region of Waterloo or upon further direction of the Regional Clerk."

I'm now cursing in my head.

How am I supposed to watch the close races now? Wards 3 & 5 seemed pretty close last time the results loaded.

Angry Angry Angry
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »