Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revisiting the Market District
(10-30-2018, 12:16 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:38 AM)clasher Wrote: Closing Market Lane to cars would be quite the blow to New City Supermarket; the lane is basically just overflow parking for them as it stands.

But that's part of the problem.  Market Lane isn't their parking lot, but it's treated as such.

But it's the access road for their official parking, so things tend to bleed over.

(10-30-2018, 12:46 PM)kps Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That parking lot behind New City is a problem, imho.  On Saturdays, the whole laneway is blocked by cars waiting to use the lot.  There has be be a better way.

Once I've seen bylaw ticketing people blithely sitting in front of the ‘No stopping’ signs. If they did that every weekend, Kitchener could do without property taxes.

On the other hand, the bylaw officer was parked on the sidewalk on Eby.

Yeah, I wish they'd do this more.  It bugs me so much the line of traffic there, because invariably there is a driver who wants to drive through, and they play chicken with pedestrians on the sidewalk.
(10-30-2018, 12:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That parking lot behind New City is a problem, imho.  On Saturdays, the whole laneway is blocked by cars waiting to use the lot.  There has be be a better way.

There is (1) street parking on King St, (2) a parking lot on the other side of King St, (3) Market Square parking garage and (4) Benton/Charles parking garage. There really is no shortage of parking.

With the departure of Mission Thrift (are they gone yet?) is their parking lot also available?
Conveniently, Kitchener is surveying at the moment on how to improve the market itself (not the district).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Conveniently, Kitchener is surveying at the moment on how to improve the market itself (not the district).

Your link is to a survey for the 2018 budget.
(10-30-2018, 09:49 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: How interesting and timely your post is. This past Saturday my daughters (7 and 9) and myself decided to put backpacks on and go for an adventure DTK. We parked at the Charles/Benton garage. Our first stop was Darlise Cafe for breakfast. WOW, unbelievable food. Service was amazing and the atmosphere was great. We then walked around the core, checking out construction sites and taking in what the future is going to look like (very positive). We stopped for coffee and perhaps the best hot chocolate in the city at Matter of Taste. We sat there for a while drying out and warming up. Wonderful friendly people coming and going. People actually acknowledging one another with smiles and hellos, how refreshing. We set off to walk toward the market. We passed a guy having an episode yelling at no one and talking to himself. (likely some mental health issues) My daughters questioned his behavior so we discussed mental health issues and how some people are disadvantaged and need assistance. The walk was nice looking into different shops and taking notes of restaurants we want to come back to. A stop in the New City Supermarket for treats and watching live fish. We got to the market and spent lots of time there buying from vendors and listening to buskers. Oh, and I was able to get a 2 dollar parking coupon for the Benton Street parking garage, how cheap is that !! As we exited the marked we were facing our favorite Vietnamese restaurant, Pho Dau Bo, and we were in for our next meal. Then we started walking back to the parked vehicle only to see the LRT go by at Charles onto Frederick, we all thought the same thing. We cant wait till the day that we can ride the LRT into the DTK and do it all over again.

I agree, the East end has lots of potential to further develop around the market. I believe that as the new residential units come on stream, we will see many great improvements. I think it will end up being a destination point. What I think people need to do in the interim is look closer at what is there. There is a great diversity of culture that offers much. Sure it doesn't always look very polished and perfect like Uptown Waterloo, but my kids get an experience that opens their eyes more, and will make them more diverse.

Just my thoughts.....
My favourite hood!

(10-30-2018, 06:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Conveniently, Kitchener is surveying at the moment on how to improve the market itself (not the district).

Your link is to a survey for the 2018 budget.

Very strange. I can see it when I go to https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...hener.aspx, but any time I click on the link it takes me to the survey:

But when I paste the link in to a post it changes to the budget link

I think it is because the deadline passed for the market survey on the 28th at 11:59pm.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Looks like the city wants to focus on the East end of Downtown Kitchener too:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/900...downtown-/

Quote:Kitchener is holding a public consultation to get ideas on the future of the east end of the downtown.

Much of the surging interest in downtown Kitchener has been concentrated in the west end, said Hilary Abel, Kitchener's manager of downtown development.

"There's been less focus on the east end," she said. "We're just looking to shift our focus."

The public consultation is tomorrow night.

The city really dropped the ball on this one.  It's TOMORROW.  How is this the first time people are talking about this?
(11-05-2018, 09:16 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like the city wants to focus on the East end of Downtown Kitchener too:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/900...downtown-/

Quote:Kitchener is holding a public consultation to get ideas on the future of the east end of the downtown.

Much of the surging interest in downtown Kitchener has been concentrated in the west end, said Hilary Abel, Kitchener's manager of downtown development.

"There's been less focus on the east end," she said. "We're just looking to shift our focus."

The public consultation is tomorrow night.

The city really dropped the ball on this one.  It's TOMORROW.  How is this the first time people are talking about this?

I don't think this was just scheduled. There are 59 people going and 255 people interested on the FB page, that's not from just a couple of days.

That said, it appears that no one here noticed it before!
You're right, no one here noticed it, which is fine. And it wasn't just scheduled, you're right, it just seems like they haven't promoted it much which is a shame, its important. It's too bad the Record article wasn't a week or more ago.

Or maybe I've just totally been blind and it's been promoted a ton and I just missed it. Definitely wouldn't be the first time hah.
Istm that the Record article touches on the key strengths of the East End - ethnic/multicultural and food. This is a solid base upon which to build a vibrant neighbourhood.
(11-05-2018, 02:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Istm that the Record article touches on the key strengths of the East End - ethnic/multicultural and food.  This is a solid base upon which to build a vibrant neighbourhood.

Yes. There will be fewer offices than on the west side of Queen St, but the area is already multicultural and the planned residential projects will bring many more people into the neighbourhood. I expect that we will eventually see more people living in the east end than in the King/Victoria area.

They are
Looks like they are trying to start up a Wed night Farmers Market for the summer. I would go for sure.

www.therecord.com/news-story/9022869-kitchener-to-test-wednesday-evening-market-next-summer/

However, another ridiculous statement in a survey completed by the market.

Respondents also raised the perennial complaint about a lack of parking. "Now that we aren't within walking distance, we don't go because there is nowhere to park and the traffic is horrendous," wrote one.

What they are saying is. I find it hard to park right in the market and not have to walk.....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »