Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
168 King St S | 8 fl | U/C
(01-14-2019, 11:26 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 04:47 PM)urbd Wrote: They likely will be, but they will not develop the building obviously. They will rezone. get approval, sell at a premium to developer, and move into the commercial space (or maybe not even moving back in).

But in doing this are they not homeless for some time?  Isn't this bad business?

Lol they won't be homeless. They will probably just find some retail space nearby to rent for a couple years, then move back in if they see fit. There's lots of retail space in Uptown to choose from.

It's only one branch of many, anyway. Having it closed and dispersing staff to other branches would work (and I say this as someone who uses this branch). They have options.
Found some new images of 168 that I don't think have been posted

Isn't that the original design, before they redid it? If not, this is the 3rd time they redesigned the building, and ended up essentially where they started
I don't think they ever redesigned it. There was the original set of drawings, which these seem to be a part of, and then a high def render that came out, but it looks to be the same building design, no?
According to the city's site, this was the most recently submitted design (as seen in the render at the top of the last page)

[Image: 37UBljN.jpg]
(02-28-2019, 01:46 PM)GtwoK Wrote: According to the city's site, this was the most recently submitted design (as seen in the render at the top of the last page)

[Image: 37UBljN.jpg]

Yes this is it, which is just the "unrendered" raw sketchup version of this one:

[Image: B88541717Z.1_20190117164749_000_GKRFDNAD...rtrait.jpg]

Development would put eight-storey building ‘at the doorstep’ of uptown Waterloo
(03-08-2020, 12:41 PM)Acitta Wrote: Development would put eight-storey building ‘at the doorstep’ of uptown Waterloo
I think this is a perfect little addition along king. Since they are looking at an 8-10 story building i can't see there being a huge uprising against it, but NIMBY's will be present. Design is clearly preliminary, but hopefully it is higher quality exterior materials.  I really hope that proposals like this continue to sprout up along king into midtown.
(03-08-2020, 12:41 PM)Acitta Wrote: Development would put eight-storey building ‘at the doorstep’ of uptown Waterloo

There's already a thread for this one, started back in 2018. You can see a few iterations of renderings there from when it was still proposed to be a 9 story building. I like the commercial podium better on this updated version, but IMO the residential floors are now worse. The loss of a floor is unfortunate, as is the removal of the angled roof which was the most interesting feature.

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...312&page=3
[Image: B881068401Z.1_20200308170849_000_GDFTBL9...rtrait.jpg]
The tower portion looks to have brick finishes.

I like this a bit better than the second rendering we saw a while back
Also, worth noting that YNCU is developing their property, I believe before a developer was going to do it. Did the sale fall through?

A good project, even if the design does nothing for me.
It reminds me a bit of The Red, which is in the same area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »