Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
168 King St S | 8 fl | U/C
I found a new rendering on the City's website...

Very nice! Thanks for posting
Much more Ion-accurate LRV in this render, too!
(01-08-2019, 12:30 AM)KevinL Wrote: Much more Ion-accurate LRV in this render, too!

Where are the overhead wires though ?
I really like the look of this. And what a fantastic looking rendering!
When I first saw this last night I was on my phone and liked what I saw. This morning. Wow. VERY VERY nice.

Does this need zoning amendments?
(01-08-2019, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote: When I first saw this last night I was on my phone and liked what I saw.  This morning.  Wow.  VERY VERY nice.

Does this need zoning amendments?

It does:

Quote:The applicant is proposing to amend the city's Official Plan to redesignate the lands at 8 George St. from Low Density Residential and Low Density-10 Metres, to Commercial, Uptown Mixed Use, Primary Node, Medium High Density-40 Metres, and Uptown Complementary Transition Area, with the following site specific provisions:
  • to limit the maximum height permission on 8 George St. to 6 storeys and 20 metres
The applicant is also proposing to amend Zoning Bylaw no. 1108 by:
  1. Rezone the lands at 8 George St. from 'General Residence Two A' (GR2A) to 'Commercial Two-12' (C2-12) and the lands at 164 and 168 King St. S. from 'Commercial Two-12' (C2-12) to 'Commercial Two-12' (C2-12), with the following site specific provisions:
    • to permit a front yard (King St) setback of 4 metres, to align with the city's new Zoning Bylaw, whereas Zoning By-law 1108 requires a 5 metres front yard setback
    • to permit a landscape buffer with an average depth of 1.5 metres, whereas Zoning Bylaw 1108 requires a landscape buffer with an average depth of 3.0 metres
    • to permit a minimum amenity area of 3 square metres per bedroom, to align with the city's new Zoning Bylaw, whereas Zoning Bylaw 1108 requires an amenity area of 25 square metres per dwelling unit
    • to change the measure of density from units/hectare to bedrooms/hectare to conform to the Official Plan
    • to permit a commercial parking rate of 1.5 space/100 square metres, to align with the city's new Zoning Bylaw, whereas Zoning Bylaw 1108 requires 3.0 spaces/100 square metres
    • to permit a residential parking rate of 0.6 spaces per unit (0.5 spaces/unit for residents + 0.1 spaces/unit for visitors), whereas Zoning Bylaw 1108 requires a residential parking rate of 1 space per unit and the city’s new Zoning Bylaw requires 0.7 spaces per unit
 2.  In addition to the above site specific provisions, the following site specific provision will also applicable to 8 George St.:
  • to limit the maximum building height (on 8 George St.) to 6 storeys and 20 metres

Just noticed the file name for that image is King George. Is that the project name of this?
(01-14-2019, 10:02 AM)Spokes Wrote: Just noticed the file name for that image is King George.  Is that the project name of this?

No, that's just the file name I used when I screen captured the image... I thought it was appropriate given it's location at the intersection of King and George Street but also sounded regal. Perhaps it'll stick Smile
Also of note is that the applicant is Your Neighbourhood Credit Union. They are not developers, so they are likely to be doing this process to sell the pre-approved land to a developer.
(01-14-2019, 02:43 PM)urbd Wrote: Also of note is that the applicant is Your Neighbourhood Credit Union. They are not developers, so they are likely to be doing this process to sell the pre-approved land to a developer.

I kinda assumed YNCU might be the tenant for the commercial space described in the zoning change application. It would be a pretty nice way to subsidize a new office for themselves!
(01-14-2019, 03:44 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 02:43 PM)urbd Wrote: Also of note is that the applicant is Your Neighbourhood Credit Union. They are not developers, so they are likely to be doing this process to sell the pre-approved land to a developer.

I kinda assumed YNCU might be the tenant for the commercial space described in the zoning change application. It would be a pretty nice way to subsidize a new office for themselves!

They likely will be, but they will not develop the building obviously. They will rezone. get approval, sell at a premium to developer, and move into the commercial space (or maybe not even moving back in).
(01-14-2019, 04:47 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 03:44 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: I kinda assumed YNCU might be the tenant for the commercial space described in the zoning change application. It would be a pretty nice way to subsidize a new office for themselves!

They likely will be, but they will not develop the building obviously. They will rezone. get approval, sell at a premium to developer, and move into the commercial space (or maybe not even moving back in).

Ah right, that makes sense. In any event, I hope this gets built. Looks pretty good to me!

(01-14-2019, 04:47 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 03:44 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: I kinda assumed YNCU might be the tenant for the commercial space described in the zoning change application. It would be a pretty nice way to subsidize a new office for themselves!

But in doing this are they not homeless for some time?  Isn't this bad business?
(01-14-2019, 03:44 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:

That's a smart move.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »