Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
61-69 Ainslie Street South | 20+15fl | Proposed
I think this project sort of slipped under the radar so I'm making a thread for it as I've heard a bit of talk about it possibly progressing at last.

An unnamed developer (the applicant was GSP Group on behalf of "2699380 Ontario Inc") is proposing a mixed use development in downtown Cambridge. The architecture firm is the very prestigious WZMH Architects. They are proposing two towers at 20 and 15 floors sitting on top of a 7, 5 and 4 floor podium containing both parking and retail space. Together, the towers will have 392 residential units with ground floor retail. 335 parking spaces are proposed along with 132 bicycle parking spaces.

[Image: lsX1tNc.png]

[Image: lAXXZZw.png]

More information can be found on the City of Cambridge website under the file for OR03/20.

(09-20-2021, 02:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think this project sort of slipped under the radar so I'm making a thread for it as I've heard a bit of talk about it possibly progressing at last.

An unnamed developer (the applicant was GSP Group on behalf of "2699380 Ontario Inc") is proposing a mixed use development in downtown Cambridge. The architecture firm is the very prestigious WZMH Architects. They are proposing two towers at 20 and 15 floors sitting on top of a 7, 5 and 4 floor podium containing both parking and retail space. Together, the towers will have 392 residential units with ground floor retail. 335 parking spaces are proposed along with 132 bicycle parking spaces.

[Image: lsX1tNc.png]

[Image: lAXXZZw.png]

More information can be found on the City of Cambridge website under the file for OR03/20.

I like it! Would be a great project anywhere in the Region, but especially great for Cambridge
Looks great - jealous of a few of the recent proposals Cambridge has gotten architecture wise. Hopefully this one will dodge too much resistance given the location.
Good for them! I hope this and others can really jumpstart downtown Galt
It's nice to see a building design that is not a rectangle! Apart from the Galleria, there is currently not much in terms of non-rectangular construction in the region's downtown areas.
(09-21-2021, 01:48 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Looks great - jealous of a few of the recent proposals Cambridge has gotten architecture wise. Hopefully this one will dodge too much resistance given the location.

I think somehow the locals will fight to preserve an abandoned house + bowling alley to smite the "big toronto money" behind new condos and apartments..
https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...rs-6370197

https://marshallzehr.com/atlantic-develo...cambridge/

Financing update on this seemingly-dead project. This lot is DESPERATELY in need of renewal. I will fight anyone that opposes it..
local cambridge weirdo

And right across the street from the LRT station that's earmarked for Bruce/Ainslie/Water. This will set the tone for the area surrounding that final LRT stop.
Some nice density for downtown Galt. This parcel needs something to be built on it.
'Let’s not go destroying the Galt core' - Contentious Cambridge development sees a glimpse of activity: https://www.therecord.com/local-cambridg...ivity.html

Tl;dr: Typical The Record article that doesn't bother to speak with anyone under the age of the World War 2. I am optimistic they will allow this to go ahead, though, since council has been considerably progressive these days...but the NIMBY pushback will no doubt persist for a while to preserve the derelict abandoned building and parking lot that currently exists at this site.
This will be the first test from the new pro-NIMBY mayor.

I look forward to city council rejecting this project, then being forced to approve it after wasting tax dollars at the tribunal.

Here’s hoping though!
local cambridge weirdo
(01-25-2023, 03:58 PM)bravado Wrote: This will be the first test from the new pro-NIMBY mayor.

I look forward to city council rejecting this project, then being forced to approve it after wasting tax dollars at the tribunal.

Here’s hoping though!

Exactly... but I'm sure she will end up supporting the project somehow. Closed door negotiations rule the world.
Happy to announce that this totally dilapidated bowling alley on site is finally being demolished today. Whether or not it will lead to actual construction is another matter.

[Image: 5wJG4JR.jpg]
local cambridge weirdo

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »