Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#QUICKWINS4KW
(11-08-2018, 01:22 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: From what I understand they wanted a scramble at King and Queen in Kitchener but the Region were not fans claiming it was unsafe and would cause too much traffic backup on Queen.

Do you have a source for this? I'd be really interested in learning more.

King and Queen currently works well for the reasons Dan mentioned King and University does not- the lanes are narrow, buildings set closer to the street, and turn radii tighter, so traffic at the intersection is much slower and crossing times lower. I'm not endorsing this, but there seem to be plenty of people crossing against the lights, with their wits about them and making sure there is no traffic approaching. I walk downtown a lot, and find the motorists at the intersection to be courteous and attentive- really, they're just driving slower.

(11-08-2018, 01:54 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 01:22 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: From what I understand they wanted a scramble at King and Queen in Kitchener but the Region were not fans claiming it was unsafe and would cause too much traffic backup on Queen.

Do you have a source for this? I'd be really interested in learning more.

King and Queen currently works well for the reasons Dan mentioned King and University does not- the lanes are narrow, buildings set closer to the street, and turn radii tighter, so traffic at the intersection is much slower and crossing times lower. I'm not endorsing this, but there seem to be plenty of people crossing against the lights, with their wits about them and making sure there is no traffic approaching. I walk downtown a lot, and find the motorists at the intersection to be courteous and attentive- really, they're just driving slower.

This is absolutely the case.  It was interesting to me when I visited the Netherlands, that in the city centre's, which to be fair, have far less traffic, have few or no traffic control devices.  When traffic is moving slowly, humans can navigate without traffic control devices.

I'm not advocating this for King/Queen necessary, outside of rush hour, and outside of a one block radius, traffic does speed up to speeds which would require control, but just something to think about.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »