Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(05-15-2016, 12:03 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 11:24 AM).jeffster Wrote: I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

In what way are they a "heck of a lot better". They are very much in the same league.

I don't know.  To me there's a difference between the usual, standard-issue ugly of Drewlo building and the unique, dare I say world-class ugly of modern Northdale (not sure why King & Columbia was singled out, is it a Drewlo building?).

(05-15-2016, 11:24 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

Hopefully for DT Kitchener, they'll be a little more thoughtful for whatever they build, but given their track record, not likely. Given what is already in that area, can't see the city pressuring them to build anything other than what they've already done as it will still look better than what is there already.

Problem is, Drewlo is rental apartments, not condo's, so very little incentive to go all out and spend extra $$ to pretty up a building.

is there any indication if they are going to be selling condos or renting in this instance
Drewlo apartments are all rental, I believe. The Record article about Gascho Motors implied that Drewlo was looking to proceed quickly on the project, but I don't think any demolition permits have been issued for the block, have they?
(05-15-2016, 02:35 PM)darts Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 11:24 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

Hopefully for DT Kitchener, they'll be a little more thoughtful for whatever they build, but given their track record, not likely. Given what is already in that area, can't see the city pressuring them to build anything other than what they've already done as it will still look better than what is there already.

Problem is, Drewlo is rental apartments, not condo's, so very little incentive to go all out and spend extra $$ to pretty up a building.

is there any indication if they are going to be selling condos or renting in this instance

No confirmation as far as I know, other than Drewlo isn't in the business of building condo's.

We'll see if they can attempt to deviate a little from their standard pre-fab concrete slab design.
This is a Drewlo building, is it not?

Attached Files Image(s)

Yup, they are.
Thanks. I would personally be fine with something similar to this at King & Madison, especially if they include some retail space.

For me the #1 thing is a multi level podium with ground floor retail and a tower(s) above
Gascho Motors seems to have closed down on schedule, so I believe the block is now empty.
Start the timer. Ground breaks when....
(06-01-2016, 08:27 AM)Spokes Wrote: Start the timer.  Ground breaks when....

Some undefined time after the demolition permits are issued.  No demolition permits yet, afaik.
None issued yet.

But interestingly there is a building permit to demolish the former St. Clair Appliance building to the foundation, and to construct a new retail/office building. James Fryett Architect, the same firm as for the 387 King project. The permit was issued January 22, before the Drewlo sale was announced, but while it was surely already in progress. Will this still happen, or will Drewlo do something different with this corner of the block?
(06-01-2016, 09:51 AM)tomh009 Wrote: None issued yet.

But interestingly there is a building permit to demolish the former St. Clair Appliance building to the foundation, and to construct a new retail/office building.  James Fryett Architect, the same firm as for the 387 King project.  The permit was issued January 22, before the Drewlo sale was announced, but while it was surely already in progress.  Will this still happen, or will Drewlo do something different with this corner of the block?

That would a separate project, in the next block up King, no?.  There was also a proposal for a mid-rise apartment fronting King in that block, iirc.  I have been assuming that both will happen.

Yes indeed ... I should have posted in this thread instead:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=206
No permit information has been taken out for the project. The property/buildings are looking neglected, hoping we see some positive change in the near future. I feel like it has been forever (nearly 6 years) since it was announced this block was purchased with a development plan in mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »