Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(02-04-2016, 05:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 04:57 PM)ibuildstuff Wrote: Fusion sold this land to Drewlo, expect some more Drewlo towers here.

I have no particular love for the current Drewlo buildings, but it would probably still be a big improvement on this site, which has consisted of fallow parking lots and run-down car dealerships since the mid-1970s.  At the minimum it would bring more people to the core, and specifically the southern (or eastern, if you prefer) edge of downtown, which has been lagging in terms of development.

You would have to imagine the city would demand more in terms of design on a prime downtown site.

At the very least a podium/twin tower proposal as Fusion talked of.  

Given Drewlo's design past I could see something like this:  https://goo.gl/maps/SZXKvR6N9JC2

At least this will likely mean it gets built in the next year or two

(02-05-2016, 09:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: You would have to imagine the city would demand more in terms of design on a prime downtown site.

The city can only demand more if the developer is looking for concessions to the zoning requirements.  If they build within the limits of the zoning bylaw, the city will not have any ability to demand anything, maybe suggest changes but not require them.
I'm not familiar with the background and process that led to the Regency, but it's Homestead, whom I consider to have a fairly similar method as Drewlo. It's not the ugliest building I've ever seen, but it's not exactly stylish either, and is on a prime downtown site. I don't think it's a given that the City of Kitchener will demand anything in terms of style here, even if variances are requested.
It's not a given, no. But there is a point where it should be.
Sounds like Drewlo wants to get whatever they have planned for the site underway.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/655249...r-90-years
I know it's been said a lot but I really hope something creative goes in here.
(05-13-2016, 07:18 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I know it's been said a lot but I really hope something creative goes in here.

Given that it's Drewlo?  Ha.

Has anyone noticed how terrible the drive up Homer Watson from the 401 is now with the new Drewlo's at Old Carriage Drive?  Beyond the ugliness of the buildings, they are very poorly laid out on the land so as to impose severely on the drive in.  Makes King and Columbia area feel like a dreamland.  This company needs to be talked to severely before they ruin another couple of very important development areas here (with Waterloo Inn).

The Victoria Park buildings seem mine IMO. And I wouldn't consider Pioneer Park or whatever the new St. Mary's subdivision is called as very important development areas.

I don't know what their rental rates are, but it seems like the suburb areas where those buildings are would target lower-middle class rental stock. I would prefer Drewlo buildings than nothing at all. Some companies have different priorities than impressive designs.

I think anything going in at this location should be received well, even if it's another uninspiring building. East downtown really needs development if it doesn't want to get left behind. I expect most of the focus will be pushing towards the transit hub. The sooner the lots between Charles/King are developed, the better.
(05-13-2016, 10:13 PM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 07:18 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I know it's been said a lot but I really hope something creative goes in here.

Given that it's Drewlo?  Ha.

Has anyone noticed how terrible the drive up Homer Watson from the 401 is now with the new Drewlo's at Old Carriage Drive?  Beyond the ugliness of the buildings, they are very poorly laid out on the land so as to impose severely on the drive in.  Makes King and Columbia area feel like a dreamland.  This company needs to be talked to severely before they ruin another couple of very important development areas here (with Waterloo Inn).

Huh?  I can't say it's had any impact on my drive.
(05-14-2016, 01:14 AM)Andy Wrote: The Victoria Park buildings seem mine IMO. And I wouldn't consider Pioneer Park or whatever the new St. Mary's subdivision is called as very important development areas.

I don't know what their rental rates are, but it seems like the suburb areas where those buildings are would target lower-middle class rental stock. I would prefer Drewlo buildings than nothing at all. Some companies have different priorities than impressive designs.

Agreed ... I walk by the Iron Horse building (at Queen) frequently, and while not inspiring architecture, it looks quite decent.  I would be happy to have that level on the ex-Gascho/Stevens property.  There are enough opportunities for development in the city that not everything can be a globally recognized architectural masterpiece.

And maybe they will even have competitive rental rates, enabling lower-income families, too, to live in the downtown core.
Good spot for the long-awaited grocery store and a new LCBO in the podium? I suspect Drewlo doesn't roll that way, but it would be nice.
(05-14-2016, 09:22 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 10:13 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Given that it's Drewlo?  Ha.

Huh?  I can't say it's had any impact on my drive.

(05-15-2016, 01:48 AM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 09:22 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Huh?  I can't say it's had any impact on my drive.

I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

Hopefully for DT Kitchener, they'll be a little more thoughtful for whatever they build, but given their track record, not likely. Given what is already in that area, can't see the city pressuring them to build anything other than what they've already done as it will still look better than what is there already.

Problem is, Drewlo is rental apartments, not condo's, so very little incentive to go all out and spend extra $$ to pretty up a building.

(05-15-2016, 11:24 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

Hopefully for DT Kitchener, they'll be a little more thoughtful for whatever they build, but given their track record, not likely. Given what is already in that area, can't see the city pressuring them to build anything other than what they've already done as it will still look better than what is there already.

Problem is, Drewlo is rental apartments, not condo's, so very little incentive to go all out and spend extra $$ to pretty up a building.

Good design need not be more expensive than bad design, but as long as they get the King St frontage right, with a mixed-use mid-rise, I'd be content to give them a pass on the rest of the project, given how badly King E needs the development.
(05-15-2016, 11:24 AM).jeffster Wrote: I'll agree that Drewlo's designs aren't mind blowing, but this still looks a heck of a lot better than the ugliness of King & Columbia.

In what way are they a "heck of a lot better". They are very much in the same league.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »