Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drewlo Downtown project | 22 & 18 fl | Proposed
Huzzah, progress!
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Amazing. I remember talking on the phone with the Fusion Homes (previous owner) CEO and feeling extremely excited. Curious what Drewlo comes up with
I haven't been waiting since 1977 but I have been eagerly awaiting news since the property was purchased in Dec 2010 by Fusion.

Hope we see some details soon, although I have never seen a proposal or project website by Drewlo, usually the project is well under construction when we finally have an idea of what the project will look like.
Small update from The Record article on Charlie West, states have the preliminary plan for this site is two apartment buildings. This is a fairly large block and I really hope they utilize it well.
We can say that virtually anything different than the current state would be an improvement (which most scenarios would be true) but it would be nice to see something different than just the fallowfield Dr towers surrounding by parking lots here.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/721592...-kitchener
I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario. Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.
(03-30-2017, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario.  Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.

You should take a visit to Northdale again.
They're now building some of the best stuff in the city.
Better than King St between University and Columbia, then? I've heard politicians and staffers in Kitchener refer to those buildings as reasons for why none of Kitchener should be more than 3 storeys in the downtown, and for why buildings should be stepped back from the street by their height. /facepalm
I'd like to see some mid-rise rentals facing King St at the Drewlo site, with any high-rise in behind. Something in the 6-8 storey range, perhaps with a setback. Whatever they start with, it will be interesting to see what kind of uptake there is for new rental apartments at that end of Downtown. I'm keeping fingers crossed.
(03-30-2017, 11:49 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Better than King St between University and Columbia, then? I've heard politicians and staffers in Kitchener refer to those buildings as reasons for why none of Kitchener should be more than 3 storeys in the downtown, and for why buildings should be stepped back from the street by their height. /facepalm

Definitely.
Check out the ones that have gone up on Albert near University, and then head over to Philip St. Retail hasn't been occupied in all them, but it's starting to come together.
(03-30-2017, 11:16 AM)Markster Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think assuming Fallowfield is the worst-case scenario.  Drewlo has four buildings near Victoria Park, and all look quite reasonable (better than most of Northdale, to be sure), at least on the outside.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll do something good here, too.

You should take a visit to Northdale again.
They're now building some of the best stuff in the city.

I drove by recently to look at the newer buildings. Sorry, I disagree. I acknowledge they are better but still not very pleasing to the eye. Go to Mississauga City Centre and you will see nice buildings.  Northdale is ugly and will horrific in about ten years or so as the buildings age
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Downtown project directory tomh009 41 11,043 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Last Post: nms