Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
36-42 Erb St E, and 39 Dupont St E | 24 fl | Proposed
Project name:
Developer: Paramount Developers
Architect: Raw Design
Location: 36 and 42 Erb Street East, and 39 Dupont Street East
Project: four storey podium with a 20 storey tower, commercial uses at grade.
Link to documents submitted to the City of Waterloo:
https://www.waterloo.ca/en/business/36--...-st-e-.asp

Render

Well that'll piss off CORE for sure!

If this goes ahead I guess that corner will end up with a normal stoplight instead of the trail crossing?
I fully expect the usual #nimby treatment here. Although this is a perfect fit for the location.
24 stories total -- how far beyond the current zoning is this?
Oh, but people swore up and down the walls that only King St. streetscape was sacrosanct....surely they won't renege on that now?
(09-25-2018, 09:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Oh, but people swore up and down the walls that only King St. streetscape was sacrosanct....surely they won't renege on that now?

Of course some will.  The question is whether the usual noise from the usual suspects will carry any weight with City Council.  Will it?
I just read through the documents and didn't see any mention of a proposed timeline - I see the first public meeting about the site is in January, though. Any guesses as to how soon they'd start building if this were to be approved?

(09-25-2018, 08:24 AM)clasher Wrote: Well that'll piss off CORE for sure!

If this goes ahead I guess that corner will end up with a normal stoplight instead of the trail crossing?

Likely. Although I’ve mused about the possibility of having the turn from Erb on to Peppler where it is, but the turn from Peppler on to Erb be to the east. Right now those two turns conflict with each other, but that way they would not. I think with careful arrangement of lane layouts and pedestrian islands, it could be both easier for cars and safer for pedestrians.
(09-25-2018, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 09:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Oh, but people swore up and down the walls that only King St. streetscape was sacrosanct....surely they won't renege on that now?

Of course some will.  The question is whether the usual noise from the usual suspects will carry any weight with City Council.  Will it?

Depends, when is a decision due?  This city council or next?
(09-25-2018, 10:31 AM)Guido Wrote: I just read through the documents and didn't see any mention of a proposed timeline - I see the first public meeting about the site is in January, though. Any guesses as to how soon they'd start building if this were to be approved?

Given that meeting date, we can expect that the site plan won't be approved until mid-2019. I would say shovels in the ground in early 2020, move in either late 2021 or more likely in 2022.
This is the old LCBO location, correct? That parcel of land has just been used as a surface lot for years. Good to see the space being developed. I definitely don't mind the vertical height, but the neighbours behind on Dupont aren't going to like this one bit.
From the image this does look like the old lcbo parcel of land. But in the title it says 42 erb st east. I use to live at that location and that is the old yellow brick house that has been sitting vacant for years. I am pretty sure 42 erb st e. is not part of this project as vanguard developments had a plan for that site.
Any chances they sold it though?

(09-25-2018, 10:31 AM)Guido Wrote: I just read through the documents and didn't see any mention of a proposed timeline - I see the first public meeting about the site is in January, though. Any guesses as to how soon they'd start building if this were to be approved?

Well it's a zone change application... for all we know this developer might want to have all the approvals done for this intensity of development and then sell the land to someone else "shovel ready"... and for a big premium. It's done all the time.
Another complicating factor in this development is that 39 Dupont St E is on the heritage register.

I don’t have anything against high rises, but I do feel that our community would be much better served by many more mid-rises, like the 42, the Red, the Cortes, etc. There seems to an unhealthy fixation with tall towers; just because we can build them does not make them the best choice in every situation. I would have perferred this development to have been split in thirds and spread out along Erb further. I am sure that a proper streetwall will come in time.

There is a greater sense of community in smaller buildings, you would get much less push back from the neighbours, and still meet the density targets required under places to grow. I guess the economics of those smaller buildings aren’t as good maybe because of the minimum parking requirements?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »