Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Grand River Transit
There have been a ton of complaints to GRT on social media about the snow clearing this year. I use the stop in front of Grand River Hospital regularly and it hasn't been cleared all winter, even when I complain about it. In one of the articles about the new snow clearing contract from a few years ago, it was mentioned that certain GRT stops are "priority accessibility" stops due for immediate clearing... and yet the stops in front of GRT and the Senior's Center at King & Allen have been some of the worst all winter.
There's something in the contract that allows them to get away with only paving a strip that is perhaps a foot-and-a-half wide, and this strip does not need to be connected to a sidewalk at all. It is absurd.

Edited to add: This is supposition. I have not seen the contract, but based on my complaints and actions I've seen as a result, this sort of minimal effort seems to be enough to satisfy the wording.
(04-19-2018, 11:43 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: There's something in the contract that allows them to get away with only paving a strip that is perhaps a foot-and-a-half wide, and this strip does not need to be connected to a sidewalk at all. It is absurd.

Do you mean clearing, rather than paving?

Agreed regardless!
(04-19-2018, 11:53 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 11:43 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: There's something in the contract that allows them to get away with only paving a strip that is perhaps a foot-and-a-half wide, and this strip does not need to be connected to a sidewalk at all. It is absurd.

Agreed regardless!

The standard is also ridiculously lax.  It's something like 72 hours for the contractor.  BUUT...and here's a big BUT.  The contractor only has to come out when GRT calls.  And GRT has stated that they "can't" (really are choosing not to spend the money) to clear snow until after plowing.  So they wait for the city snow event to end.  Which ends up being about 48 hours after the end of snowfall.  As a result, bus stop clearing is about a 5 day process after snow.  How many times this winter was there even 5 days between snowfalls?

Even when it does happen, it's not particularly well done (there have been numerous examples of the contractor plowing the bus stop onto the sidewalk).

I'm going to say that the GRT bus stop clearing isn't quite as much theater as the bylaw enforcement for sidewalks, but it's clear that the top priority is low cost, followed very very far behind by ensuring bus stops are accessible for users.
Looks like GRT made a minor change to the transfers now made by the new fareboxes, adding a holographic strip.
I hear this was the plan for when the Ion machines would launch, as offboard printing would boost the incidence of counterfeiting. I guess they got the paper stock in already, so...
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
I wonder if this is due to how late the easyGO Fare Card project is. If the fare cards were in broader circulation, the use of transfer paper might have been at a low enough rate that there'd still be plenty of the old stuff left.
(04-19-2018, 11:53 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Agreed regardless!

I did, thank you. I think I had intended to add something about them also being able to ignore "down to the pavement" and just conflated several thoughts together poorly.