Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
They could have made it fit like the islands at King/Victoria or Charles/Water. It is a matter of prioritizing:

I don't see how making a right, across the tracks on to William, and a right, back across the tracks at Willis, then crossing the tracks at the public square is more safe than what was originally planned (the bus bay to the east of the Ion tracks).

The 7 stopping north of the GEXR tracks, as it is doing now, is the least horrible solution they have come up with; but still results in some weird stop spacing between Allen and Bridgeport.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I've asked the project team for clarification.
(01-05-2018, 07:19 PM)KevinL Wrote: The William one is... much more involved. There should have been a stop engineered there, but somehow it was worked out to have the bus jog to Regina for a block instead, but now they don't actually want to do that, and it's a big mess.

So big!  I have no idea what's going to happen now.  It's rather frustrating.  I kind of suspect that nobody knows what is going to happen...which is even worse.
iXpress 205 update in the council package (April 30, 2018 launch).

So when did GRT change there mind about the William/Regina/Willis detour? Was that announced? They invested in a huge new stop/shelter/display at William between King and Regina.

And for reference this was the plan for King/William:

(Canard had posted King/Willis)
My mistake - I thought we were talking about the reason the buses were detoured onto Regina - which I thought was because they were not able to use the bus bay in the map I posted.
Conflicting info?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They are using the bus bay. I caught a 7D bus from there a few days ago after grocery shopping</p>&mdash; RaviU (@IAmRaviU) <a href="https://twitter.com/IAmRaviU/status/949470255226740736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
(01-05-2018, 11:25 PM)Canard Wrote: Conflicting info?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They are using the bus bay. I caught a 7D bus from there a few days ago after grocery shopping</p>&mdash; RaviU (@IAmRaviU) <a href="https://twitter.com/IAmRaviU/status/949470255226740736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2018</a></blockquote>

Which bus bay? The bus bay I’ve used and observed is north of the tracks. I think the one in the RFP plans doesn’t exist (i.e., wasn’t built) — the tracks are right next to the sidewalk. Also southbound the bus bay was supposed to be a buses-only right turn onto Willis, but that doesn’t seem to have been built either. It would have shortened the 5 route somewhat to use Willis rather than William.

The bus bay they are using is north of the GEXR tracks in front of the old OW sports. Not the one in the original plans. The one in the plans never got built (the sidewalk extends out to the ion rapidway).

You can see it here:

[/url]
[url=http://www.waterloo.ca/en/contentresources/resources/government/BIA-Construction-Meeting-2017-04-11-2.pdf#page=4]Source.
But the guy on twitter is saying that buses are stopping on King (at Willis Way), but you guys are saying they aren't? I'm so lost...
(01-05-2018, 11:39 PM)Canard Wrote: But the guy on twitter is saying that buses are stopping on King (at Willis Way), but you guys are saying they aren't?  I'm so lost...

Only when the light is red Tongue
The person on Twitter is either referring to the bay in front of OW Sports, or they were waiting at the wrong place and a bus driver took pity on them.
Perhaps somebody can help me remember the chain of events to jog Canard's memory?

-Pre-ion construction the 7 NB on King originally stopped south of Allen on King, south of William on King, north of Willis (in front of parkade) on King, and the north of Erb on King.
-The initial uptown streetscape plans came out and showed a transit stop south of Erb on King.
-During Ion and then uptown streetscape construction the 7 had many different iterations, the last of which usually had it stopping south of Allen on King, north of Willis on Regina, and south of Dupont on Regina.
-Initial information for GRT then came out that said that once Ion was up and running the 7 NB would only stop south of Allen on King, and then not again until south of Erb on King; leaving a huge gap between stops in the heart of uptown
-Soon after consultations for GRT's business plan for 2017-2021 occurred, and based on the feedback, they added a stop on William between King and Regina; so the 7 NB would stop south of Allen on King, turn right on William, stop between King and Regina on William, turn left on Regina, turn left on Willis, turn right on King, and then stop south of Erb on King.
-Then the revised uptown streetscape plans came out (the revised the section between Erb and the GEXR tracks to continue the segregated bike lanes from Erb down to the Laurel Trail) that removed the transit stop south of Erb at King and showed a new transit stop just north of the GEXR tracks on King.
-Once King reopened from the first phase of the streetscape work back in December it seems that, despite having built a substantial stop/shelter/display on Wiliam betwen King and Regina, GRT has had second thoughts about the circuitous routing of King->William-->Regina-->Willis-->King and so the 7 NB started stopping south of Allen on King, north of GEXR tracks on King, and north of Bridgeport on King.

What's not clear to me is if the direct routing of the 7 NB up King between William and Erb is temporary until Ion starts running or if it is a new final route. The latest GRT 2018 and 2021 maps would seem to indicate that it is the new final route (and that new stop on William seems to be over built for the current passenger load of the #5).
(01-06-2018, 01:19 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Perhaps somebody can help me remember the chain of events to jog Canard's memory?

-Pre-ion construction the 7 NB on King originally stopped south of Allen on King, south of Willis on King, north of Willis (in front of parkade) on King, and the north of Erb on King.

South of William on King.

(01-06-2018, 01:19 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: What's not clear to me is if the direct routing of the 7 NB up King between William and Erb is temporary until Ion starts running or if it is a new final route. The latest GRT 2018 and 2021 maps would seem to indicate that it is the new final route (and that new stop on William seems to be over built for the current passenger load of the #5).

I believe the stop on William east of King is currently unused. The 5 turns up King and stops north of the tracks.
You don’t have to jog anything for my behalf - I’ve given up trying to understand Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »