Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
I noticed this morning that there's a new bus stop on Mt Hope St, just south of King (near the GRH ION stop). At first I thought it might just be a shuttle stop for the hospital but it has a GRT electronic signboard. Before construction there weren't any GRT busses that used Mt Hope, anyone know what new route might be using that?

The reworked route 4 is set to go there after the Ion opening; building those stops is part of GrandLinq's contract, so it's been built now even if it won't be needed for months.
(07-20-2017, 03:48 PM)Rick O\Shay Wrote: http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/bus-...rades.aspx
Looks like a busy summer for upgrades

Pretty detailed work plan. I wish there were a similar one for when some of the real-time information boxes are actually going to get displays.

I am still waiting for my "home" stop to get its display and it was purchased back in March of 2016.

Any updates on the University of Waterloo transit plaza? The anticipated start date (they probably meant design) was originally listed as August 2, 2016 (not a typo), and the completion is listed as December 2017. Do they have to wait for GrandLinq to finish up before they can start on this project?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The track crossing will indeed require the completion of Grandlinq's work if they don't want to be billed for a change order. That doesn't stop them from working on the project away from the tracks.
So I was buying my August pass earlier (thinking this might be the last time I need to buy a paper pass) at Charles Terminal and asked the clerks there about the smartcard rollout. They are not as optimistic as those at the Region that it will be ready for September rollout - they cited the visible evidence that zero new infreastructure has been installed at their location to support it. I suppose it could be done within three weeks, but...
Considering how long it took to roll out Presto, I doubt it.
I feel like whoever is project managing this file isn't using a Gantt Chart so much as they're using a checklist.

☑ Select e-fare system
☑ Tender contract
☐ Install in buses
☐ Install supporting hardware in terminals
☐ Launch

(07-26-2017, 01:04 PM)Markster Wrote: I feel like whoever is project managing this file isn't using a Gantt Chart so much as they're using a checklist.

☑ Select e-fare system
☑ Tender contract
☐ Install in buses
☐ Install supporting hardware in terminals
☐ Launch

Seems like "Install in buses" is at least complete.  It's been a long time since I've seen a bus without the new terminal.
(07-26-2017, 01:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Seems like "Install in buses" is at least complete.  It's been a long time since I've seen a bus without the new terminal.

Route 202 gets all the old and busted buses, it seems. It's maybe up to 50% in my daily commute.
(07-26-2017, 01:30 PM)Markster Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 01:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Seems like "Install in buses" is at least complete.  It's been a long time since I've seen a bus without the new terminal.

Route 202 gets all the old and busted buses, it seems. It's maybe up to 50% in my daily commute.

I do kind of wonder how they schedule buses.  The 7 seemed to have none, then all of a sudden, they only have the new one, I wonder if the buses used changed, or they were installed on the same buses, or if the buses rotate all the time and it's just coincidence.

Regardless, I would hope they're close to finished.
(07-26-2017, 01:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The 7 seemed to have none, then all of a sudden, they only have the new one, I wonder if the buses used changed, or they were installed on the same buses, or if the buses rotate all the time and it's just coincidence.

What, you are not tracking the numbers of the buses you are riding?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_spotting
This isn't CPTDB!
(07-26-2017, 01:30 PM)Markster Wrote:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hi Iain, roughly 75% of the buses have the new fareboxes installed now.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/890287868299620352">July 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

75% gels with my experience, certainly.
(07-26-2017, 03:24 PM)Canard Wrote: This isn't CPTDB!

We might have some readership overlap though!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »