Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(06-28-2017, 10:32 PM)KevinL Wrote: So there's been a change to the design of paper schedules (again!) - Last year they changed from having a flush-to-the-corners design to one with a bit more free space, presumably to improve readability, but they still maintained an 'abstracted' map design - a thematic map with just the roads relevant to the route, rectified and straightened, as they've had fro the last 5-7 years or so.

But now they've started to introduce accurate maps - actual geographically correct route maps, no abstraction allowed.

And the absurd part is, all of these designs are currently in use to some degree or another, depending on the specific route - I pulled these fresh off the rack at Charles Street. Yikes.

[Image: 5Tb1GXP.png]

I would say that they just have old prints lying around, but clearly not the case since the design is quite old by now.

I actually prefer the edge to edge design, but the map depends on what I'm looking for.  In some context and on some routes the simplified map is better, on others the geographically one is the best.

Good.

The simplified maps are atrocious and in a number of instances, inaccurate. The route 22 map for instance suggests that Activa becomes David Bergey, and Rittenhouse is nonexistent.
I much prefer the accurate maps and hope those become the standard again.
GRT has installed new route signs at Fairview Park Mall. Odd, since they'll
be moving in less than a year.
[Image: tZqRVoc.jpg]
RE: Maps Making text follow a stroke is not a hard thing to do in any graphics program. Also, if you're meant to rotate the map to orient yourself north, why wouldn't you orient all the labels that way? The Conestoga Parkway label is upside-down.
(06-28-2017, 11:51 PM)D40LF Wrote: Good.

The simplified maps are atrocious and in a number of instances, inaccurate. The route 22 map for instance suggests that Activa becomes David Bergey, and Rittenhouse is nonexistent.

Which is weird, since the whole point of simplified maps as far as I am concerned is the ability to clearly show every feature of the route. For example, a route like the 7 which goes along King for a very long distance, with some complexity downtown and near Fairview, can have the long straight part shortened and the rest given sufficient space to see all the turns. If they omit parts, then what’s the point?

Several years ago they used to have large geographically-accurate maps which really were just extracts from a city map, showing every street (albeit emphasizing and labelling only the major streets), with stop locations indicated right on the map very accurately as little dots labelled with the stop number. These new maps look like sort of a half-way where it’s a small map but to scale. I’ll be interested to see if there are any routes where this leads to strange results.
New vs. Old and the truck that was blocking bays while changing them during rush hour.
[Image: 57Ehpyj.jpg]

The signs will be moved to their new location and new vinyl decals installed to account for the route changes that come into effect when ION starts.
(06-29-2017, 06:45 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: New vs. Old and the truck that was blocking bays while changing them during rush hour.

[Image: QBI2XJe.jpg]

dis gon b gud
We now have duplicate Route 8 signs with no destination signage. This specific issue is short term, however I can see more than a few people getting on the wrong branch of other loop routes if the signing convention persists. Image doing this on Route 22. You've suddenly just wasted an hour. Or worse, Route 8 at Charles St Terminal.
(06-30-2017, 01:34 AM)D40LF Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 06:45 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: New vs. Old and the truck that was blocking bays while changing them during rush hour.

[Image: QBI2XJe.jpg]

dis gon b gud

Does the temporary sign at the bottom have something to do with it?
The signage actually IS correct here - but it used to show '7 Weber'. That is, it goes east on Fairway to go up Weber towards downtown. The bus sign then shows what route it takes beyond downtown, in this case C to Conestoga.

That 'east on Fairway to go up Weber towards downtown' bit is also known as the 7B on a southbound sign. They've repurposed it in the opposite direction.

And if all of that is too much, well, that's the route 7 alphabet soup for you.
(07-02-2017, 12:06 PM)KevinL Wrote: The signage actually IS correct here - but it used to show '7 Weber'. That is, it goes east on Fairway to go up Weber towards downtown. The bus sign then shows what route it takes beyond downtown, in this case C to Conestoga.

That 'east on Fairway to go up Weber towards downtown' bit is also known as the 7B on a southbound sign. They've repurposed it in the opposite direction.

And if all of that is too much, well, that's the route 7 alphabet soup for you.

The sign on the stop should always match the sign on the bus.

In any case, the route 7 letters are one-way: there is no such thing as a southbound bus labelled 7C, for example. The 7C goes to Conestoga mall, then turns around and is labelled either just plain 7 if it is terminating at Charles St. terminal, or one of the Fairview-bound letters otherwise. Whether a southbound bus on King at Weber is “really” a 7C is a question of interest only to those who actually run the system and should not be evident to riders, who care only where the bus is going, not where it is coming from. There is a reason why some normal programming languages have a “goto” command but no (normal) languages have a “come from” command.

(07-02-2017, 12:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: The sign on the stop should always match the sign on the bus.

In any case, the route 7 letters are one-way: there is no such thing as a southbound bus labelled 7C, for example. 

Precisely. There is no such thing as a northbound 7B, either. And yet there it is, on a sign at the southern terminus...
(07-02-2017, 12:40 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 12:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: The sign on the stop should always match the sign on the bus.

In any case, the route 7 letters are one-way: there is no such thing as a southbound bus labelled 7C, for example. 

Precisely. There is no such thing as a northbound 7B, either. And yet there it is, on a sign at the southern terminus...

I just realized this is at Fairview, not at the downtown terminal. But now I’m confused by your earlier message where I thought you said the sign was correct. To me it seems like signs at Fairview for the 7 should list 7C, 7D, 7E only; or they could just say “7” since most people getting on there won’t care which one they get (anybody who cares is probably better off taking the iXpress).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »