Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
By the union's tweets, it came down to the skilled workers (machinists, etc) voting on the portion of the agreement relevant to them (which happened earlier today); they rejected it, so the entire Local once again goes into strike position.

There are a lot of issues with the contract. There's a raise yes, but some benefits are apparently being cut. Not to mention that there are a lot of working condition issues going on too. I heard stories of some drivers being suspended for 1-3 days for their back tires touching pylons. Drivers are barely able to keep to schedule because of traffic or passenger demand especially on the routes that are under serviced and some drivers are upset that the region doesn't listen to them when they complain that a route needs improvements.
(03-30-2017, 11:58 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: There are a lot of issues with the contract. There's a raise yes, but some benefits are apparently being cut. Not to mention that there are a lot of working condition issues going on too. I heard stories of some drivers being suspended for 1-3 days for their back tires touching pylons. Drivers are barely able to keep to schedule because of traffic or passenger demand especially on the routes that are under serviced and some drivers are upset that the region doesn't listen to them when they complain that a route needs improvements.

While that may all be true, the drivers voted to approve the contract so that's not the source of the issues. It was the mechanics group that voted down the deal.
Proposed 2017 Implementation Plan for the Regional Transit Supportive Strategy - Cambridge
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...7#page=121

Includes service improvements to routes 51, 52, 61, and 200 (not clear to me if previously announced), a high school student transit promotion, and a TDM Co-ordinator / Station Area Planner.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Strike predictions tomorrow? Yes or No.

I'm inclined to say no, they'll settle tonight.
(04-02-2017, 09:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: Strike predictions tomorrow?  Yes or No.

I sure hope so.  Although I'm curious to see the bike traffic tomorrow if they don't.
I sincerely hope so, I work an odd schedule and haven't been able to find any co-workers willing to carpool.

(04-02-2017, 09:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: Strike predictions tomorrow?  Yes or No.

If they reach a 11 hour deal it still needs a few things to happen: 

1. Documents need to be printed (changes to the contract)
2. A meeting arranged for the members 
3. A ratification vote by all the members

That won't happen Sunday and likely not Monday.  With that being said it will likely last three or four days at the very least.  If you look at other transit strikes in Canada over the past 20 years they usually last a month.  Unless of course the government steps in which they did in Toronto but failed to do in Ottawa the capital of the nation. I really do hope that each side does not drag their heels on this out of pride and spite.  One thing also to remember this is not about money its about policy and the government hates to change policy.  If it were money this would have been settled a month ago.
If they reach a deal, would they not go back to work until we know the outcome of the vote (like they did last time)?
Would be nice if they could at least keep the MobilityPlus vehicles running if there is a strike.
(04-02-2017, 11:37 AM)Rick O Wrote: ...
3. A ratification vote by all the members

Why would this one have to happen before the strike is called off? It didn't last time.
(04-02-2017, 01:08 PM)KevinL Wrote: If they reach a deal, would they not go back to work until we know the outcome of the vote (like they did last time)?

Yes.
good till Wednesday:

https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/statu...9491534848

Whew. I hope this one's accepted, I'd hate to see the disruption this would cause. (Then again, letting people see that disruption firsthand would help cement how important transit is.)
I was going to try out taking the bus+bike to work this week, but this whole strike thing isn't helping to convince me I should give it a go.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »