Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Speaking of that intersection. Does anyone want to start a pool of when someone will enforce the "No left turn from northbound Caroline to westbound Erb (buses excepted)" sign? All northbound traffic would be routed through Father David Bauer drive.

(03-06-2017, 01:46 PM)nms Wrote: Speaking of that intersection.  Does anyone want to start a pool of when someone will enforce the "No left turn from northbound Caroline to westbound Erb (buses excepted)" sign? All northbound traffic would be routed through Father David Bauer drive.

Haven't they blacked-out the "No-left-turn" signs at the intersection? I was just through there on Friday and couldn't find anything that told me it was forbidden.

Though if they are I guess the question's still relevant about when we should expect to have to adhere to the rule.
Should the question be when will they take the wraps off the no-left-turn signs?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The end is nigh for having to buy paper <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW">@GRT_ROW</a> tickets. Huzzah! <a href="https://t.co/gqqhTOLwGT">pic.twitter.com/gqqhTOLwGT</a></p>&mdash; Mike Boos (@mikeboos) <a href="https://twitter.com/mikeboos/status/839449545440378880">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
(03-08-2017, 12:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: The end is nigh for having to buy paper <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW">@GRT_ROW</a> tickets. Huzzah!

FINALLY.
Speaking with GRT staff, September. We won't get farecards until September.
It is the traditional date for introducing new changes - the Tuesday after Labour Day, specifically. But given this would be replacing monthly passes, I guess it will be the First.

The "Buses only" left-turn sign is in the vicinity of the Father David Bauer Drive/Caroline intersection, presumably to warn drivers heading north past that point that they can't turn west.  From what I can recall, it's never been covered up since the intersection opened.  Perhaps just an oversight for now.
The tender for nine (9) ION aBRT buses will be awarded to New Flyer at a unit price of approx. $600,000. These buses will have frameless windows, high back seating and USB charging ports (a first for Canadian transit buses, I believe).
Strike deadline just passed, but no news on negotiations. Hopefully a good sign?
- A tentative agreement has been reached between the Region of Waterloo and UNIFOR Local 4304 Grand River Transit/MobilityPLUS, operators, dispatchers, fleet mechanics and service attendants.

Ratification dates have yet to be set.

Having reached this agreement, there will be no disruption and all services will continue as scheduled.

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/newsli...eQuAleQuAl
The federal budget yesterday scrapped the transit tax credit, which made transit passes about 15% less expensive.

Depending on how price elastic demand for transit is, that could be a significant headwind for transit ridership growth everywhere. Or just a very minor one. I personally won't be surprised to see it mentioned to justify slower-than-anticipated ridership growth on many services' reports in a year or two's time.
(03-23-2017, 07:21 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The federal budget yesterday scrapped the transit tax credit, which made transit passes about 15% less expensive.

Depending on how price elastic demand for transit is, that could be a significant headwind for transit ridership growth everywhere. Or just a very minor one. I personally won't be surprised to see it mentioned to justify slower-than-anticipated  ridership growth on many services' reports in a year or two's time.

They did say that they would provide the funding directly to municipalities for transit instead.  At least that's what I heard.

I think that's rightt: the logic was that capital funding would be provided to municipalities for improved transit, so the tax credit was not needed.

I don't know what would have a bigger impact on user behaviour: better service, or a very visible "discount." Maybe it would depend exactly how the money was spent by each jurisdiction.
(03-23-2017, 09:21 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I think that's rightt: the logic was that capital funding would be provided to municipalities for improved transit, so the tax credit was not needed.

I don't know what would have a bigger impact on user behaviour: better service, or a very visible "discount." Maybe it would depend exactly how the money was spent by each jurisdiction.

This is a tricky question, I see both sides, well, two sides, not the third.  Providing municipalities money is great, but it's an entirely different policy from discounting transit, which changes people's perception.  People love discounts.  Still, perhaps increased funding could eventually improve service, which we all know is the most effective way to improve ridership.  But it's a long bumpy road.

However, the tax credit wasn't refundable, therefore those who didn't make enough didn't benefit from it.  Worse, those who used tickets because they couldn't afford passes, also don't benefit from it.  A direct subsidy for those who have the most difficulty affording it would probably be a more egalitarian use of money.  Whether it's more effective at increasing use of transit, who knows.

Still, we really should be doing all three.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »