Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Thanks. Is that closer than the Margaret at Wellington stop?

I don't know that I'd cite Ottawa as a model to follow in that regard ...
(02-07-2017, 12:02 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Thanks. Is that closer than the Margaret at Wellington stop?

Yes, definitely!
/\ Thanks Smile
I just got off a 7 that was coming in to Charles, but going out of service and it announced:
"TTC-like-chime, last stop,???,out-of-service"
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I also noticed that the 200 had similar service announcements at Laurier and Davis Centre today. During boarding it played a chime, followed by "Please move to the back of the bus". The chime appeared to be 3 tones descending in pitch, though more cleaner and more synthetic sounding that the TTC chime.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to ask or be a bother, but if anyone could get a recording of said chimes, I would be forever indebted!!

(02-07-2017, 08:08 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I also noticed that the 200 had similar service announcements at Laurier and Davis Centre today. During boarding it played a chime, followed by "Please move to the back of the bus".

This is so Pheidippides can get home faster...

Coke
I also heard a similar sound while biking past a bus the other day.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain">@Canardiain</a> Hi Iain, the chime is for when the operator uses a pre-recorded announcement, not a stop announcement.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/829327806345654274">February 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
So, there's now a bank of pre-recorded announcemnts for the driver to pick from? That's pretty cool.
That actually is pretty cool, and could be a marked improvement over each driver urging people to the back of the bus in his or her own idiosyncratic way.
The consultant selection for the design of the Northfield maintenance facility is up:
https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....4be414cee5

"The proposed GRT Northfield Facility is planned to accommodate Mobility Plus, regular buses, and articulating buses. Articulating buses are to be introduced to the fleet beginning in 2020."

"As a separate project...includes the widening of Northfield Drive in front of the this location."

"This project will be required to achieve the minimum sustainable design and construction standard of LEED silver..."

"This project will be required to evaluate the feasibility of including a Green Roof..."

There are some timelines in the document as well:
May 2017 - Design initiation
November 2018 - Award construction contract
January 2019 - Construction
September 2020 - Substantial completion
January 2021 - Occupancy

Total construction budget is $100 million (including a $16 million contingency).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

It's pretty good, the routes that will need articulated buses are the 201 and 202, and that (combined) route happens to drive almost right past there.
(02-10-2017, 11:56 AM)Markster Wrote: It's pretty good, the routes that will need articulated buses are the 201 and 202, and that (combined) route happens to drive almost right past there.

I feel like there were reasons they preferred not to use articulated buses?  Was it ONLY inability to fit in terminal space?  I would think that would still be an issue, Charles St. is not the only terminal.

Also, in general, is it not preferred to have more frequent service than articulated buses, even if it is more expensive?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »