Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
I doubt I'd use the bus/LRT even if it was free, maybe in the winter if it was really stormy. I'd much prefer to bike anywhere in the region than take transit there; faster and door-to-door. I only use my car to carry heavy things or other people. My work is almost always outside of town in remote locations so transit and cycling isn't an option for that.

(07-01-2016, 10:30 AM)clasher Wrote: I doubt I'd use the bus/LRT even if it was free, maybe in the winter if it was really stormy. I'd much prefer to bike anywhere in the region than take transit there; faster and door-to-door. I only use my car to carry heavy things or other people. My work is almost always outside of town in remote locations so transit and cycling isn't an option for that.

Yeah, the first three sentences apply to me too. I used to take the metro all the time in Montreal to go to school. But since moving away from Montreal, the bike has always been a better option.

In a larger city I could rank bike/transit either way depending on bike infrastructure, distances, and weather conditions. Pretty much everywhere I want to go in KW is bikeable though. I'm a very occasional GRT user, like a couple of times a year. Sometimes if I'm headed out of town on a train and don't want to leave my bike at the station it beats a 30 minute walk or a taxi ride.

My understanding is that studies show that driving actually has to be worse and more expensive than alternatives for people to use those alternatives.
(07-01-2016, 09:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: As one who drives everywhere and never takes the bus, I find the idea of cost being a factor in the "car or bus" decision a bit surprising, at least in a K-W context.  I one can afford the car, one drives, no?  

I could afford to drive to work. But then I would have less money for the other things I like.
(07-01-2016, 08:59 AM)Canard Wrote: Perhaps it has to do with the way it scales?  i.e., in a town of 20k, you might only need a couple of "Bus-Plus" sized buses.  But in Waterloo Region there are hundreds of big buses, with a huge depot, etc. and maybe the cost of maintenance doesn't scale linearly with the population like that?  (I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there)

(I loved Iceland, too!)

I know I said the KC Streetcar was free, but I should have mentioned that only the new Streetcar line is free - their bus and BRT system still has a fare.

The region's current transit operations budget is roughly $120M, with revenues of about $60M.  If we made it completely free, that would be a hit of about $60M on the regional budget, or an increase of about 22%.  Given that the regional budget accounts for about half the property taxes, that would increase everyone's property taxes by around 11%, or maybe $200 on average.

It's not a huge amount, and lower-income people who would feel it the worst, would benefit the most from free transit.  But there would surely be highly vocal opposition to such an idea.

Now, there would be some cost savings because we could eliminate fare collection.  But on the other hand, transit usage could rise significantly, requiring GRT to spend more on buses (and eventually more trains).
(07-01-2016, 09:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: As one who drives everywhere and never takes the bus, I find the idea of cost being a factor in the "car or bus" decision a bit surprising, at least in a K-W context.  I one can afford the car, one drives, no?  At least in the vast majority of cases.  I suppose if one had to pay for parking at work, etc, it might lead to some shift.

I walk everywhere if I can (including walking to work -- the advantage of both living and working downtown).  For longer distances (say, Vincenzo's) bicycle is the best choice for me right now, but later I might take the LRT: carrying a lot of things on a train is much easier than on a bicycle.

I still drive, but mostly when I'm going out of town, or going to play hockey (carrying hockey gear is not so much fun).

The convenience of parking is also a factor, and the LRT will provide significant (perceived) added convenience in turn.
Wilmot bus route attracts 39 riders per day so far
(07-13-2016, 08:46 PM)D40LF Wrote: Wilmot bus route attracts 39 riders per day so far

Anyone know what the expectation was?

(07-14-2016, 08:04 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-13-2016, 08:46 PM)D40LF Wrote: Wilmot bus route attracts 39 riders per day so far

Anyone know what the expectation was?

Says in the article that the expectation was 80-90 per day, but that summer ridership numbers are always lower. (Also recall that this line is being funded as a 1-year pilot project by MTO.) They want to see what it's like once it's been around longer, especially in the winter. It's only been going for 2 months.
With 1000+ students at Waterloo-Oxford DSS, I would expect ridership to rise in the non-summer.  This is also your only GRT option to go visit Sir John A. Macdonald at Castle Kilbride.
Not sure if W-O students are really in the target ridership, but it's possible.
I wouldn't think WO students are a target either, so many of them already come in on the school bus, not sure they'd change that for the GRT
(07-15-2016, 12:45 PM)nms Wrote: With 1000+ students at Waterloo-Oxford DSS, I would expect ridership to rise in the non-summer.  This is also your only GRT option to go visit Sir John A. Macdonald at Castle Kilbride.

School being in session will definitely help. There will be students who can now do after-school activities without needing to rely on getting a picked up by their parents after.
1) Anyone tried the new EasyGo phone service? Twice now I've been told the next bus is arriving in "minus X minutes" and another time told the bus stop was not in service (when it clearly was). Wondering if it is just a few flukes (I don't call the system that often to know) or a wider-spread issue.

2) Any sign of shelters and electronic signage for the 204 route yet? The route is nearly a year old and the contract was awarded ages ago yet only a few concrete pads are in place along much of the route.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I thought that most of the stops had their shelters? I know there were a few stops that weren't going to be getting shelters due to space constraints.

As for electronics, it took over a year for the 202 to have electronics installed.
Some 201 stops on Columbia still don't even have permanent metal signs, let alone shelters.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »