Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Well I imagine GRT has weighed the pros and cons of buying and implementing these buses to a much, much greater detail or they wouldn't have purchased them.

ION service times reduced due to spread of Omicron and staffing shortages
(02-08-2022, 09:58 PM)Acitta Wrote: ION service times reduced due to spread of Omicron and staffing shortages

Maybe all the truck drivers sitting around Ottawa can pick up the shifts so there is no disruption to service?
Cambridge 2022 service improvements

https://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/cambridg...ments.aspx

Does anybody remember what the three packages we advocated for just before the pandemic were, and whether they included any of this?
Also, I don;t like that there are many areas that are actually losing service, which makes this seem more like a realignment/reallocation rather than an increase.

https://www.engagewr.ca/grt-2022-transit...provements
Yeah, COVID has done some serious harm to transit all over, but it seems especially acute in the region where we were in the middle of a significant expansion.

If only our regional government has sufficient sense (and ultimately, flexibility) to pivot to prioritizing cycling, sadly, it's painfully clear they do not.
[Image: icon_2022_05_31.jpg]

The UW transit hub seems to be fully open. I saw many GRT and GO buses there today.

Are those areas with glass enclosed? GRT has this bad habit of designing things with minimal shelter from the elements and it's really annoying when it's winter, pouring rain or just extremely windy out.
It's had GRT buses since January and GO since March. I believe the glass shelters are fully enclosed.
Fares are going up for transit on July 1st. Happy Canada Is Fucked Day! https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fares.aspx

Meanwhile in a good country like Germany, they just introduced nation wide monthly passes for 9 euros...in order to offset rising fuel prices. Genius idea to make transportation even less viable, Waterloo Region.
(06-15-2022, 04:14 PM)Hi ac3r Wrote: Fares are going up for transit on July 1st. Happy Canada Is Fucked Day! https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fares.aspx

Meanwhile in a good country like Germany, they just introduced nation wide monthly passes for 9 euros...in order to offset rising fuel prices. Genius idea to make transportation even less viable, Waterloo Region.

“If you want to get around your city, just be less poor!”

- Your friendly neighbourhood Regional councillor
local cambridge weirdo
I don't think prices for transit should go up, but I also think it's difficult for Regional Council to not do so, because Ontario citizens are too concerned with not paying tax rather than having public services. It would really require provincial funding to hold the line on transit prices. The Region can't run operating deficits and gas prices are up. Indeed, the increases look to be less than inflation.

NZ is having temporary 50% off transit and cutting the gas tax right now, centrally funded.
(06-15-2022, 08:31 PM)plam Wrote: I don't think prices for transit should go up, but I also think it's difficult for Regional Council to not do so, because Ontario citizens are too concerned with not paying tax rather than having public services. It would really require provincial funding to hold the line on transit prices. The Region can't run operating deficits and gas prices are up. Indeed, the increases look to be less than inflation.

NZ is having temporary 50% off transit and cutting the gas tax right now, centrally funded.

Indeed, if the price increase is less than inflation (especially considering how much fuel is a factor), then the subsidy to transit is actually increasing, all else equal.

You can argue about whether or not the current subsidy and level of service is correct, but I don't want to end up in a Toronto situation where politicians pride themselves in keeping tax increases below inflation, ending up with lowest tax rate in the province, and it begins to show.

(06-15-2022, 04:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: Fares are going up for transit on July 1st. Happy Canada Is Fucked Day! https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fares.aspx

Around here everybody wants to reduce the (not very high) gas taxes. Total economic ignorance.

I’ve even seen people arguing that the government’s take is going up due to the high gas prices, which of course is totally wrong since the gas tax is defined in ¢/L, not as a percentage of the price paid.
(06-15-2022, 08:31 PM)plam Wrote: It would really require provincial funding to hold the line on transit prices.=

Well the Liberals had a "buck a ride" transit fares if they won, but then this province said nah we want to get screwed by Ford for 4 more years. Not that I think the OLP would have been a good party...or that they could even pull this off (like many things they promise) but yeah, we at least had a chance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »