Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(05-08-2019, 08:40 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: GRT network changes are scheduled to start on June 24, the Monday following the launch of ION.

https://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/ion-events.aspx

So the Ion and the 200 will run concurrently through that weekend? Interesting.

New trip planner is up with both new bus and Ion schedules

https://tripplan.grt.ca/
Yuck - seems to confirm my fear that 8 down Belmont is no more.
It seems to confirm my fear that my transit commute is about to get worse.
(05-13-2019, 03:38 PM)kaiserdiver Wrote: Yuck - seems to confirm my fear that 8 down Belmont is no more.

This has been established for some time now, I wasn't expecting a change.
Mine is negatively impacted more than I anticipated. The commute length will increase by a few minutes, and my options are significantly curtailed. Today I can get between downtown and my house on the 3, 11 or 22 all of which pass a stop near my place once every 15 minutes during morning or evening commute times. After the switch it looks like the 3 will be the only viable option.

I'm still optimistic though. When I was reviewing the route maps I felt pretty good but it seems like there aren't as many buses that go from Alpine and Ottawa to the Mill St station as I was expecting. Also, I think this is the summer schedule which has always been worse than the regular schedule for me. I believe all three routes at present switch to 30 minutes between buses instead of 15 and so I'm hopeful there'll be more options when the regular schedule comes back in the fall. Also, I expect that after a year where the new routes and LRT are active there'll be some meaningful tweaks as data builds up, so I'm hopeful things improve over time which has typically been my experience wth the GRT (with the exception of stop clearing, *cough*)

While people here are saying this will negatively impact them, feel free to hate me as it cuts my commute from the current 45 minutes to about 10 (Plus walking time to the stations)

For some reason however, it suggested I take a bus at one of the ion stations, however it would be faster for me to walk the 5 minutes from the station to work, so it needs work.
I don't have a direct connection to ION. Things would probably work out better if I did.
(05-13-2019, 04:19 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Mine is negatively impacted more than I anticipated. The commute length will increase by a few minutes, and my options are significantly curtailed. Today I can get between downtown and my house on the 3, 11 or 22 all of which pass a stop near my place once every 15 minutes during morning or evening commute times. After the switch it looks like the 3 will be the only viable option.

I'm still optimistic though. When I was reviewing the route maps I felt pretty good but it seems like there aren't as many buses that go from Alpine and Ottawa to the Mill St station as I was expecting. Also, I think this is the summer schedule which has always been worse than the regular schedule for me. I believe all three routes at present switch to 30 minutes between buses instead of 15 and so I'm hopeful there'll be more options when the regular schedule comes back in the fall. Also, I expect that after a year where the new routes and LRT are active there'll be some meaningful tweaks as data builds up, so I'm hopeful things improve over time which has typically been my experience wth the GRT (with the exception of stop clearing, *cough*)

There's also the 205 iXpress which has a stop at Ottawa / Alpine. It has 15 minute Peak and Midday service.
(05-13-2019, 03:11 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: New trip planner is up with both new bus and Ion schedules

https://tripplan.grt.ca/

This thing does not seem to want to work for me. And it doesn't look like the actual schedules have been uploaded anywhere.

The thing I'm most curious about (besides the Ion travel times) is how much less frequent the 7 will be.
They are still fine tuning the official schedules, so this is up as a preliminary tool.
(05-13-2019, 04:13 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 03:38 PM)kaiserdiver Wrote: Yuck - seems to confirm my fear that 8 down Belmont is no more.

This has been established for some time now, I wasn't expecting a change.

Where did you hear about this? I saw a comment a while ago suggesting it, but I didn't see anything official until this planner came out.

This is borderline unusable.
  • The Back button in the browser does nothing. You have to click the X. Bad and unintuitive design.
  • Changing the depart or arrive time by even a single minute causes to planner to recalculate, meaning you have to reopen the options tab to put in data twice if you want to change the hour and minute.
  • If you put the depart time at 6:00am for a route that interlines whose first trip is 6:20, it will recommend you take a second route and connect at a shelter rather than simply wait the 20 minutes for the interlining route.
  • The options are hidden back in their tab after you put them in.
  • On low resolution displays like a chromebook, the bottom of the box is cut off and there is no way to scroll down to access it.
  • All these issues are multiplied on a mobile device.
Why are they so, so bad at this?
The various re-consultations over the last year or so have shown the same route configuration for this part of town. Given that the planners did not significantly alter things (beyond extending the 16 past GRH to Uptown), I felt they'd made up their mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »