Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(10-01-2018, 08:57 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:12 PM)nms Wrote: Today is the final day for Conestoga College students to vote for (or against) a universal bus pass.  Voting launched September 24.

Didn't they reject that before?

7 years ago they voted for a U-Pass and the Region shut down the idea.

Conestoga College Students approved the U-Pass 2 293 for the U-Pass and 1 656 against.
Great to hear!
And there's already a petition against it...

https://www.change.org/p/conestoga-colle...-for-upass
(10-03-2018, 12:31 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: And there's already a petition against it...

Apparently the students are already being charged “exuberant” amounts of money.

Also note the comments already on the petition from people who would presumably have a coronary if they were to encounter the suggestion that they should pay a fee to use the roads on which they drive their cars.
(10-03-2018, 06:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 12:31 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: And there's already a petition against it...

Apparently the students are already being charged “exuberant” amounts of money.

Also note the comments already on the petition from people who would presumably have a coronary if they were to encounter the suggestion that they should pay a fee to use the roads on which they drive their cars.

Didn't they umm. Just vote on this?  Presumably these students already voted, and lost. Do they now feel democracy is a bad thing?
(10-03-2018, 07:26 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 06:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Apparently the students are already being charged “exuberant” amounts of money.

Didn't they umm. Just vote on this?  Presumably these students already voted, and lost. Do they now feel democracy is a bad thing?

Most of the complainers probably didn't even bother to take the time to vote to be honest.

Quote:The vote was passed October 2, 2018 with only 14.5% of full-time students voting in favour of the referendum. 

They likely take issue with this.  Maybe they should have done more to get people engaged in the voting process.  

But at the end of the day, people voted. You don't just go complain, respect the democratic process.
(10-03-2018, 08:41 AM)Spokes Wrote:
Quote:The vote was passed October 2, 2018 with only 14.5% of full-time students voting in favour of the referendum. 

They likely take issue with this.  Maybe they should have done more to get people engaged in the voting process.  

But at the end of the day, people voted. You don't just go complain, respect the democratic process.

They seem to have pulled that number out of their rear tbh
From The Record article.

“A 10 per cent voter turnout was required. About 25 per cent, or 3,950 students, voted online by Monday's deadline. One vote was cast blank.“
(10-03-2018, 06:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Also note the comments already on the petition from people who would presumably have a coronary if they were to encounter the suggestion that they should pay a fee to use the roads on which they drive their cars.

What do they pay for parking at Conestoga now?
(10-04-2018, 10:02 AM)EdM Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 06:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Also note the comments already on the petition from people who would presumably have a coronary if they were to encounter the suggestion that they should pay a fee to use the roads on which they drive their cars.

What do they pay for parking at Conestoga now?

https://www.conestogac.on.ca/parking-ser...ermitrates

Rates are given in per term or per year amounts.  Lowest per month rate is about $444/year which works out to $37/month + tax.  While this is far higher than I expected (this is a massive greenfield development--parking is usually free).  It is still likely below the cost of constructing and operating the surface parking lots...and certainly below the opportunity cost of the land.

But someone can try and pull up their financials to understand the actual profit/loss statement of their parking enterprise (although, it would take someone better at accounting than I to try and compute the amortized construction cost, if that's even available).
The basic argument is that "only the people that use the pass should pay for it. Not everyone."

I think that by the same token I should not need to subsidize the Conestoga College tuition fees with my tax dollars. Only the people that study there should pay for it. Not everyone.

Right? What's good for the goose is good for the gander ...

(10-04-2018, 10:08 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: ...and certainly below the opportunity cost of the land.

Not obviously true to me. There are lots of empty fields in that area. Eventually presumably surface parking will be a very low-end use but not for now.
I got to see the new GRT farecard online site on my partners card.

I could write a book how terrible the UX is.

Why are these things so difficult for large organisations to do--these are not difficult concepts.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »