Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Can I be grumpy about the easyGO fare cards? It seems quite late but there isn't much information about target deployment dates. Kind of annoying for those of us who ride very occasionally, and so don't want to buy paper tickets that will expire sooner rather than later. Who wants to pay cash?!

I am quite surprised that the full rollout still doesn't have a date. I imagine they want to have more retail outlets than just the terminals; maybe there's an issue with getting those equipped, trained, etc.
I’d imagine they’re waiting for ION to have a confirmed opening date.
This seems like the type of thing that could be done independent of Ion, especially to help build up knowledge of how to use it. And regardless, most of the usage will be happening on buses, even after Ion starts.

As an occasional rider, I'm with plam. I don't want to buy new tickets when the expiry date of them has been unofficially published as January 1 2019 although there was other communication about having some overlap to allow us to expend our tickets.
Is it actually ready? I heard that even as late as last month paper transfers were being issued at times
I bought tickets this week and asked when the card was going to be rolled out to the general public and the agent had no idea what the plan was.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-29-2018, 11:50 AM)darts Wrote: Is it actually ready? I heard that even as late as last month paper transfers were being issued at times

Keep in mind that once the card system is fully rolled out they will need far fewer paper transfers. The transfer printers are far busier (and thus prone to breakdown or to run out of paper) right now than they will be this time next year.

I thought that tickets were going to be honoured for six months after they are phased out. Is that not still the case?
(09-29-2018, 12:59 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 11:50 AM)darts Wrote: Is it actually ready? I heard that even as late as last month paper transfers were being issued at times

Keep in mind that once the card system is fully rolled out they will need far fewer paper transfers. The transfer printers are far busier (and thus prone to breakdown or to run out of paper) right now than they will be this time next year.

What is changing when it is fully rolled out? How many buses don't have it?
(09-29-2018, 03:01 PM)darts Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: Keep in mind that once the card system is fully rolled out they will need far fewer paper transfers. The transfer printers are far busier (and thus prone to breakdown or to run out of paper) right now than they will be this time next year.

What is changing when it is fully rolled out? How many buses don't have it?

Right now if you pay with a ticket you get a paper transfer. The ticket and transfer will both be replaced by the smartcard, which will carry the transfer electronically. Paper transfers will only be needed if cash is paid, and that should decline with card take-up as well.

All the buses are equipped for it, they just use the tearoff transfers on occasion because the new transfer printers are overworked.
Today is the final day for Conestoga College students to vote for (or against) a universal bus pass.  Voting launched September 24.
Any predictions? Would be a mistake to vote it out.
(10-01-2018, 03:12 PM)nms Wrote: Today is the final day for Conestoga College students to vote for (or against) a universal bus pass.  Voting launched September 24.

Didn't they reject that before?

(10-01-2018, 08:57 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:12 PM)nms Wrote: Today is the final day for Conestoga College students to vote for (or against) a universal bus pass.  Voting launched September 24.

Didn't they reject that before?

Yes, they did vote against it before, but it's an issue that comes up every few years.

It is hard for Conestoga College to get through because the location is very car dependent so many more students drive there than to say UW.

However, I believe last time it came down to GRT not guaranteeing improvements to the service to campus.  I suspect most of those improvements are more or less in place now.

That being said referendums are always kinda hit or miss, so I have no idea what way it will go.
They're definitely getting a new Doon terminal and enhanced service no matter the outcome, so that should help them lean toward Yes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »