Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(01-19-2018, 07:40 PM)timc Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 07:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I checked on my way home today.

Southbound there is nothing near the crossing. Near Erb there might be an X painted on the pavement.

Northbound there is also nothing near the crossing. Just north of Willis Way there is a yellow diamond warning of the LRT tracks crossing at an angle; and there is a temporary yellow diamond warning of tracks crossing perpendicularly. No crossbuck, no lights, no X on the pavement.

So I wasn’t 100% correct but it is true that there is no railway crossing protection signage as such. The yellow diamonds just warn that there are tracks crossing the road and would be appropriate even if the tracks were out of service.

Huh. That's weird. I wonder why they took away the signs. Google Streetview shows them clearly all the way up to the last picture in 2015.

Probably because there are now traffic lights. I believe the freight train activates (or will activate? I haven’t actually witnessed the train go through there since the construction) the lights, giving a red to King St. I assume they still flag, mostly to ensure nobody on the path between the buildings or on the east sidewalk gets in trouble, but car traffic should already be stopped before the train reaches the street.

I just saw someone tap on the bus with a proper farecard - good to see they are at least under test with actual riders.
Lady at the booth at Charles Street terminal said there's some test cards out there, and their trial ends the end of March so she expects a April or May rollout
There has been no movement on the ground at the UW Transit terminal location so far. That doesn't mean that there aren't currently discussions ongoing to figure out how everything will fit together. I can imagine that it involves the City (for Phillip Street improvements); the Region (for GRT/ION); Grandlinq (for ION); GO & Coach Canada (for bus clearances etc); CN (for any railway related issues for crossing the tracks); plus UW for any land swaps and agreements that might be necessary. Easy peasy.
(01-22-2018, 02:14 PM)nms Wrote: There has been no movement on the ground at the UW Transit terminal location so far.  That doesn't mean that there aren't currently discussions ongoing to figure out how everything will fit together.  I can imagine that it involves the City (for Phillip Street improvements); the Region (for GRT/ION); Grandlinq (for ION); GO & Coach Canada (for bus clearances etc); CN (for any railway related issues for crossing the tracks); plus UW for any land swaps and agreements that might be necessary.  Easy peasy.

I think you can take CN off that list. The Waterloo Spur is owned by the Region. Probably doesn’t make much difference because the same issues will apply no matter who owns the tracks, but at least the number of involved parties is less than it would be if CN still owned it.
Next (final?) round of Public Information Centre for the 2018 network, with modifications based on previous feedbacks:
http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/2018-publ...ntres.aspx
(01-22-2018, 03:27 PM)yige_t Wrote: Next (final?) round of Public Information Centre for the 2018 network, with modifications based on previous feedbacks:

Quote:Maps and information about the proposed network, as well as a survey link, will be posted online before the first public information centre.

Which is Feb 27, so at most five weeks until we see the revised proposed network. Fingers crossed everyone got what they wished for!

If the 16 is rerouted to Mill Station I'll be satisfied.
inb4 no 29 or 202 to UW Station
(01-22-2018, 03:27 PM)yige_t Wrote: Next (final?) round of Public Information Centre for the 2018 network, with modifications based on previous feedbacks:

This is a PIC not a PCC. No chance for further input/consultation; just sharing the final results.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

http://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fare-c...sting.aspx
I signed up for the beta test, thanks for linking that!

It highlighted a very minor frustration I experience on a regular basis with transportation surveys and the assumption that one's modality is a constant. I have a fairly well-established pattern of bike commuting near daily from April through October, bus commuting from December through February, and transitioning as the weather changes in March and November.

Since the testing would take place in March and I would typically buy tickets in March I identified myself as a ticket-buyer, and I guess since I have some for backup in the summer it is the style of purchase I make for the majority of the year.
Really hoping I get into this beta program. So tired of waiting for the transfers to be laboriously printed, holding up the whole queue.

I signed up, too. I don't really expect to be accepted, being an infrequent transit user, but we'll see ...
Goes without saying that I signed up, given my eagerness to see this launch and my daily usage.

tomh, don't despair - I think they're looking for users with a variety of different usage habits, to pick out any and all bugs that may arise!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »