Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(09-13-2017, 08:16 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Where do you see the 7 serving Charles?

When the map was first posted it showed 7 going into Charles Terminal. GRT staff has since clarified that their preferred option is having the 7 run via King, with short turns ending at Charles Terminal. They have updated the maps accordingly as well.

Re: Intercity buses, I can see GO pull out of Charles Terminal since it's just a mid-route stop for them. Having stops on King at Frederick and Victoria will be so better for connection with ION and GRT. 

That leaves Greyhound and Megabus. I'm wondering if they'd be willing to extend their routes to UW Terminal until the King/Victoria hub opens. That way buses have a place to park, drivers can use the facilities there and Region can tear down Charles Terminal faster...

(09-13-2017, 12:29 PM)yige_t Wrote: Re: Intercity buses, I can see GO pull out of Charles Terminal since it's just a mid-route stop for them. Having stops on King at Frederick and Victoria will be so better for connection with ION and GRT.

Stopping on King would be fine.  Standing on King, not so much.  And the GO bus does seem to stand for quite a while, unless they are running behind schedule.
They probably do that because they can. Provided they have some sort of staging point nearby, there's no reason they have to wait any longer than it takes to load the bus. The GO buses at the Union Station bus terminal are always just in and out.
There's also the question of the ticket booth. GO may continue to serve the terminal if that's where occasional users buy tickets (and regular users top up their Presto).

That said, GRT wants to setup a different Downtown ticket agency for their own products closer to LRT (King/Frederick was what they proposed, I think). So if that's also by a GO stop, then great.
Anyone have any idea of what route changes this person might be affected by?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...78?cmp=rss

Quote:The new bus route changes from Grand River Transit are making it difficult to get around the region, according to some riders in the Kitchener area.

The changes are part of the GRT's plan to work alongside the ION light rail service and will see some stops consolidated with ION stops, and some others removed completely.

LRT service kicks off next year, but some stops have already been affected, like the one used by Kitchener resident Sean O'Seashain.

"[The bus] was very handy for me then, until it wasn't," he told CBC K-W.

The 77-year-old gave up his car to ride the bus five years ago, and rides the bus almost daily on weekdays. He said that in that time, his closest bus stop has moved at least three times, most recently to accommodate the coming ION LRT.

As far as I was aware, most of the route changes this fall have been undoing of the years-old construction detours?
Based on the story on the radio this morning, my guess is he originally was catching the 4 on Moore, then when route 4 changed he would catch it on Union. I think the latest was just taking advantage of catching the 200 on Weber, but now that is gone he's back to using the 4.

I know there was also the 18 in that area at one time, but I never used it so I'm not sure if there were additional changes that would have affected him as well.

My big takeaway is that some people still think transit routes should be milk runs through every low-density neighbourhood despite the high cost and low-quality service that results. But I do recognize that I am looking at it from the position of being able-bodied and willing to walk in all weather conditions.
(09-13-2017, 02:31 PM)KevinL Wrote: There's also the question of the ticket booth. GO may continue to serve the terminal if that's where occasional users buy tickets (and regular users top up their Presto).

That said, GRT wants to setup a different Downtown ticket agency for their own products closer to LRT (King/Frederick was what they proposed, I think). So if that's also by a GO stop, then great.

GO uses ticket vending machines with PRESTO loading/vending functions at other GO stations and terminals - they can just plop one of those at wherever the new stop will be.

(09-13-2017, 03:30 PM)highlander Wrote: Based on the story on the radio this morning, my guess is he originally was catching the 4 on Moore, then when route 4 changed he would catch it on Union. I think the latest was just taking advantage of catching the 200 on Weber, but now that is gone he's back to using the 4.

I know there was also the 18 in that area at one time, but I never used it so I'm not sure if there were additional changes that would have affected him as well.

My big takeaway is that some people still think transit routes should be milk runs through every low-density neighbourhood despite the high cost and low-quality service that results. But I do recognize that I am looking at it from the position of being able-bodied and willing to walk in all weather conditions.

Ah, they've updated the article, and included the radio audio now.

It looks like he's at Moore/Guelph, judging by the buildings in the picture. It's true, he lost service when they consolidated the 4 and 18. And he was clearly surprised when the 200 stopped servicing Weber/Guelph. He might not realize that #7 is running again on King St.

It's unfortunate but true, there will be the occasional person put out by the route changes. If 100 people have their commute improved, it's worth a few having an impact.
At least he gets the 18 on Weber, next year.
(09-13-2017, 02:13 PM)jamincan Wrote: They probably do that because they can. Provided they have some sort of staging point nearby, there's no reason they have to wait any longer than it takes to load the bus. The GO buses at the Union Station bus terminal are always just in and out.

The GO buses frequently wait in a parking lot north of the university, sometimes on a side street.
You're right that the picture is of Moore Avenue and Guelph Street. And I think it's fair to say that there were frequent changes to the detours of the 4 and the 200 during construction. I also don't think they were always communicated effectively.

On GRT's coverage map, there is a white space centred around where Mr. O'Seashain lives, one of only a few urban neighbourhoods where GRT does not meet its coverage goal of a bus stop within 450 metres of 95% of residents and jobs. I don't particularly agree with that goal, and I still think getting the 4 off of Moore was a good idea, but I can sympathize with him about his bus service changing so frequently the last few years.

The PARTS Midtown planning seems to understand the importance of providing good links through the cemetery to King Street. I think the cemetery's paths are well-maintained, but finishing the walk to King through parking lots can be unpleasant even in the summer, and challenging in the winter. Improved links to King will be important for good transit access for the Mount Hope neighbourhood.
Region of Waterloo trying out transit affordability project for people living with low income

http://www.570news.com/2017/09/15/region...ow-income/
(09-15-2017, 01:42 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Region of Waterloo trying out transit affordability project for people living with low income

http://www.570news.com/2017/09/15/region...ow-income/

That's good.  And I like the fact that they are looking at a few different models in order to find the right fit for the low-income segment.

/\ Agreed. I think it's a very good idea and I hope it has a smooth and effective implementation..
I'll be curious to see what the results are. I think that a couple of those ideas might be positive for the system at large, not just the low-income riders. The off-peak pass, for instance, is interesting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »