Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
I though the idea behind keeping iXpress off King was to not delay the route by local routes running the same stretch of King.

My best guess as to why the lack of Northbound stop at King and Victoria is ION contingency work. 7 doesn't need to turn there, so unless it's something else to do with operations, I can't imagine what else it could be...

The iXpress indeed should not go on King, because it would get caught behind a 7 as it caught up to it. This does not preclude using King to have a stop at Victoria, only to turn left to take Park, other than due to the restrictions on turns at that intersection.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hi Mark, we're still waiting for final signoff to use the stop, as deficiencies are being addressed.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/905464469832306689">September 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We're going to post some stop closed notices, as there's some confusion - even without bus stop signs, people are waiting there.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/905464616687423488">September 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
People are waiting at ion stops, too! Big Grin
(09-06-2017, 12:17 PM)Markster Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hi Mark, we're still waiting for final signoff to use the stop, as deficiencies are being addressed.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/905464469832306689">September 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We're going to post some stop closed notices, as there's some confusion - even without bus stop signs, people are waiting there.</p>&mdash; Grand River Transit (@GRT_ROW) <a href="https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/905464616687423488">September 6, 2017</a></blockquote>

How could they not have known this was going to be confusing.  Honestly.
Public consultation dates for route changes: http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/public-co...tions.aspx
Looking at the median travel time for the iXpress from Charles to Regina/Willis for 6am to 9am period it is 11min via Park, for the 7 from Charles to Regina/Willis it is 12min via King; not a huge difference overall, but enough to be noticeable and add up over the day.

The amount of slowing down would also depend on the trip too, because the minimum travel time for the iXpress is 7min (the 7:08am out of Charles is scheduled to arrive in Uptown at 7:15am) at a time when the 7, also leaving at 7:08, takes 13min to get to Uptown so that would be a higher cost to the iXpress. Surely if the 7 driver saw the iXpress about to leave at the same moment though the drivers would coordinate and let the iXpress go first.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(09-05-2017, 02:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There's a 'Buses Excepted' sign hanging for the left turn from eastbound King to northbound Victoria, though I don't think any route makes that turn. The same could be done for the left for the 200- just until Ion runs.

I haven't noticed an excepted sign on eastbound King, but there is certainly one on southbound Victoria. The 6 Bridge returning to Charles Terminal turns left from southbound Victoria to eastbound King, as does the 34 Bingemans, I believe.
Yes, I was mistaken- Viewfromthe42 corrected me. And an exception on Victoria, as he pointed out too, is less impactful than on King, with only one lane each direction.

I still think it would be worth it to bring 200 service to King and Victoria. Operating the 200 on that short stretch of King would not have a huge impact on the 7, nor on motorists. But it's a very important spot and it should have excellent transit service.
GRT has posted detailed information on the proposed 2018 network, including individual route maps (with detailed Downtown Kitchener routing), frequencies, interlining pattern.

http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/2018-tran...twork.aspx

Charles Terminal will be served by Route 7 and 34 only beyond 2018. Route 7 short turns would probably end up there, but with so many routes connecting at King/Frederick I hope they consider extending it just a bit further to turn around via King/Benton/Charles/Gaukel instead.
This doesn't seem very grid-like to me, but obviously it's better in that respect. I wonder why the 3 exists. The 4 could have been extended to serve as a crosstown by taking Union, Margaret and Guelph, and provided coverage in the Breithaupt Park neighbourhood. Apart from there, the 3 doesn't travel anywhere other routes won't travel much more quickly- I wonder how long that jog past the bus depot will take?
And, as usual, introducing a 202 stop at King/University to facilitate transfers to/from the consolidated #7 has been forgotten.
(09-08-2017, 11:28 AM)Markster Wrote: And, as usual, introducing a 202 stop at King/University to facilitate transfers to/from the consolidated #7 has been forgotten.

No they haven't!

(Turn on the iXpress stop layer using the layers menu on top-left)

Would you suggest moving the Laurier stop from the Laurier gates to King? Or just doubling up the stops there?
(09-08-2017, 11:50 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Would you suggest moving the Laurier stop from the Laurier gates to King? Or just doubling up the stops there?

I hope they have both stops. Normally that would be too close for iXpress, but Laurier is an enormous trip generator, and connecting with the 7 is sufficiently important that it also has to be considered mandatory. We’re not gerrymandering the stop locations for some public service with a couple of people per bus; it’s probably a significant fraction of total ridership at that point in the route.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »